1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle Daily had this article

Police Motorcyclists - A Different Breed
By Alex Edge
You've seen them -- we all have. You may have been pulled over and ticketed by one of them. Whether mounted on the old-school Harleys and Kawasakis, or the newer BMWs and Hondas, police and highway patrol motorcyclists prowl the streets and freeways all over the country. Spending long shifts in the saddle of their machines, these officers clearly have a very tough job.

If you stop to think about the duties of a motorcycle officer, you will realize what a difficult job it must be. Anyone who commutes to work in heavy traffic on a motorcycle knows that it can be a very demanding ride. Now imagine spending your entire day making that ride back and forth. Not only that, but the motorcycle officer cannot dedicate all his concentration to the already difficult task of manuevering in traffic. No, he must at the same time be monitoring the actions of drivers and riders on the road around him, alert for any traffic violation which might call him into action.

Can you imagine doing this for eight or ten hours a day? People always talk about how amazed they are by the skills of professional racers, but I for one find myself impressed by the skills of these motorcycle officers. If any of our readers happens to be a motorcycle officer, whether it be police, sheriff, or highway patrol, we'd like to hear from you. Tell us about your job.

To everyone else, make sure you think about how hard these patrolmen work the next time one of them pulls you over.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yes lots of jobs have that air of attractiveness until you analyze the downside.

I did think for a few moments what a wonderful job a gynaecologist would be - but then again. :walk:

·
Registered
311 Posts
But Norman, they have a high risk factor for developing tunnel vision.

·
Registered
428 Posts
NormanB said:
Yes lots of jobs have that air of attractiveness until you analyze the downside.

I did think for a few moments what a wonderful job a gynaecologist would be - but then again. :walk:
How about a little freelance gynecology then? :D

Sweetheart has told the girls, "don't ever marry a man who knows more about your vagina than you do". :shock:

Peae.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
We are straying a bit from the topic...

Ok GUYS, I think we are straying a bit off topic! Don't forget there are some good ol' girls here among the good ol' boys! :oops: (Better to be a gynecologist than a proctologist! :D )

One of our local police departments is considering putting the motorcycle patrol on scooters due to the traffic problems and the maneuverability of the Harleys they now ride...of course it could really be the cost factor...you can get what? about 3 Burgies for the cost of 1 iron horse?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: We are straying a bit from the topic...

ScubaGirl said:
Ok GUYS, I think we are straying a bit off topic! Don't forget there are some good ol' girls here among the good ol' boys! :oops: (Better to be a gynecologist than a proctologist! :D )
Off -topic - in the Tavern? Thats an oxymoron. :)
Proctologist - thats a real ******* of a job :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
ScubaGirl wrote
One of our local police departments is considering putting the motorcycle patrol on scooters due to the traffic problems and the maneuverability of the Harleys they now ride..
I understand New York City went to scooters for some of there patrol officers, last year.
And it seems to be working for them.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Re: We are straying a bit from the topic...

NormanB said:
Off -topic - in the Tavern? Thats an oxymoron. :)
Proctologist - thats a real ******* of a job :lol:
Thanks Norm...That made me really laugh.

·
Registered
498 Posts
French Police have used Honda 600cc Trans Alps (Rally touring bikes) for many years for this same reason. Other European cities have been using scooter for years, too.

Japanese Police use VFR800s with upright handlebars – they have been known to use the engine protection bars as a point on which to U-turn the bike in an emergency or when they want to display their skill. After living in a number of American and European cities, I have no doubt that they are the world’s best dry weather Police Riders. Hugely respect here in Japan. It is impossible to escape them. The French Police riders would have to come second, with the British Police being amongst the world’s best wet weather Police Riders.

Nutter Japanese Police Ricers at an event where they race each other around a circuit and also do a spot of trials riding.
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~FUDOU/keisa ... irobai.htm
http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/gpz900r/007000

Close up on the VFR800 (can’t see Ohlins shock and 180 section rear tyre however):
http://www.xxar2.com/rensyukai/newvfrp/newvfrp.htm

What’s coming next (but they’ll need to put the handlebars up first):
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~heavens/pro ... 2vfr_p.jpg

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I disagree--

Spending long shifts in the saddle of their machines, these officers clearly have a very tough job.
Not if you love riding,and most cycle cops do.
Anyone who commutes to work in heavy traffic on a motorcycle knows that it can be a very demanding ride
Right -so is driving a taxi or long haul truck
Not only that, but the motorcycle officer cannot dedicate all his concentration to the already difficult task of manuevering in traffic. No, he must at the same time be monitoring the actions of drivers and riders on the road around him
Why, the rest of us that ride bikes are asleep- thats just part of riding.
alert for any traffic violation which might call him into action.
Most driver see police car/bike and become good drivers all of a sudden
but I for one find myself impressed by the skills of these motorcycle officers.
You ride a bike you should have those skills -if you don't, get them.
To everyone else, make sure you think about how hard these patrolmen work the next time one of them pulls you over
The hard part of a bike patrolmen's job starts when he gets off the bike. He has to walk up to the unknown,
and be ready for anything.
To many crazies out there ...................................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts