Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone planning to ride in cold weather without electric gloves these may be a good option. They are fleece-lined gauntlets that slip over the handlebars and fasten at the narrow end with velcro and have openings for mirror stems. I had them years ago (called Hippo Hands) on a '80 Wing and they were very effective. I'm not sure how well they may fit with our handlebar covers.
I found 2 sources on the net:

WPS Fleece Lined Handlebar Gauntlets at ridegear.com

http://www.donelsoncycles.com/

I know there is a company in Europe that has them (called "Muffs") made for scooters. I'm pretty sure it's the same company that made Norman's "Apron". Any info Norm as to whether they are available in the Colonies?
Don

·
Registered
639 Posts
I also rode with Hippo Hands on my touring bike back in the eighties. They were awesome because I could wear my "more flexible" summer gloves all winter and still have warm, dry hands. :) They were especially effective in heavy rain.

Wonder why I don't see them around these days? Is it because electric hand grips became available?

Reg 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Don

Mupp posted a picture of his 'muffs' - Mupp's Muffs

Mupps made by Bagulux IIRC, mine made by Tucanourbano - and I have not posted a pic yet. My 'apron' made by Tucanourbano too but I have not used yet as we are still in the high 50s here. The muffs are the dogs proverbials as they keep your hands dry and out of the wind allowing summer gloves which is much more comfortable (for me) - Mine have one drawback in they can foul on full lock with the Givi screen ( you have to sort of lift them a bit from the inside on the offending side - otherwise the muff collides with the screen and applies the piggin brake!!

Here is a link Tucanourbano

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
bikerbrackets.com sells ones called biker paws. don't know if they fit scooters. our first officer of our group had them said they worked well but they had a tendency to engage the brake lever.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I tried those Hippo Hand things on one bike back in the early eighties. Mine would suck cold air in through the arm openings sometimes. I wasn't all that impressed with them. I'll stick with my electric gloves. For me, they have been the best solution.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have a pair of the old '80's Hippo Hands and they work fine on my 400. It allows me to ride with lighter weight gloves. These old ones have a rigid piece of plastic or somesuch inserted in the outter edge that keeps the fabric from folding/blowing back on the levers and hand. I doubt the ones made for ATV's have that and might not be suitable for scoots.

If I were going to ride much in cold WX I think I would go with heated gloves. Easier to wave at other folks...or scratch you nose, or whatnot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hippo Hands

From '80 to '85 I was stationed in Rantoul Illinois, home of the now defunct Vetter Corporation. For the the young'n's out there, in the late '70's and early/mid '80's Vetter was the front runner in innovation in motorcycle accessories for the American Tour Rider. I has been said that Craig Vetter's Windjammer M/C faring led to the Full Dress Gold Wing. Any way, back then, I rode year round (save snow actually falling) down to -20 F. Had (and still have) a set of Vetter Hippo Hands. Never needed more than summer weight gloves. For thinner riders, where the arm holes let in air, puff up your jacket. My Wheels of Man riding suit stopped up the holes fine.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Hippo Hands

mick6502003 said:
...[It] has been said that Craig Vetter's Windjammer M/C faring led to the Full Dress Gold Wing....
"My" first bike (actually my room-mate's) was a '75 GL1000 with a Windjammer fairing. He had a girlfriend that hated M/Cs, so I rode it more than he did. Loved that bike.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Hippo Hands

mick6502003 said:
From '80 to '85 I was stationed in Rantoul Illinois, home of the now defunct Vetter Corporation.
Hi Mick! Boy, Rantoul - haven't thought about that place in years. Brings back a lot of memories. I attended the Weather Observer School at Chanute AFB in '58. I went thru the area about 2 years ago and apparently it's now a civilian facility.
Don

·
Registered
857 Posts
I looked at Mupp's photos as noted by Norman in the link above. They are mounted on a Burgman 400. I have a 650, and am wondering if they would block the view of the mirrors? The nice thing about the 400 is that the mirrors are above the handlebars, so no view is obstructed. I am concerned that these gauntlets/hippo hands/etc. might block the view and i'd not like that obviously.

anyone agree? Has anyone tried these on their 650? Although I live in Phoenix, it's a bit cool in the am (40's) during the "winter", so i'd like to try something a little warmer than my mesh gloves...using "ski" gloves now when it dips into the 50's and I dislike them.

I'm considering electric gloves or heated handgrips. I guess each has its pro's and con's...

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Yes, that's what I had on my 1979 Suzuki GS1000E with the Vetter Windjammer and lowers. I absolutely loved my hippo hands and wish I still had them today. Kept my hands warm and dry. :D

Reg
VFD, if you're interested, a friend of mine has a pair of Hippo Hands that he'd sell. He doesn't license hi bike in the winter any more. I have a pair that I'll try on the Burg if it gets cold. Haven't needed them yet. I used them for years on BMW and Harley. Bought my first pair in Sacramento, 1974.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that with temperatures approaching freezing I still do not need the winter liners in my trousers, have the lining in my jacket and with the muffs + summer gloves at 80mph - I am cool but comfortable. The scoot keeps the wind off my legs nicely.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Check this out on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WD1V

Are these similar to the Muffs? I need to get my 83 year old father something for Christmas, and he has complained of his hands getting extremely cold riding the 4-wheeler in cold weather.

These look similar to the Muffs, but tighter around the forearm...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Top on my wish list of accessories are rotor covers with lights. My husband has a "Ring of Fire" on his Wing and I love how they look at night. I don't care about a lot of chrome, but give me lights!!!!!. Every good bike needs accessories for night!!!

Another wish list item is mirror blinkers.

I think the ones made for the Gold Wing 1500 might fit, but not sure. I'm hoping to see some at future rallies to see if they will work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Electric Grips

I didn't even ride one metre on my Burgman before I got electric handgrips installed. Sat down with the dealer and said "I'd like to buy the Burgman and please install heated handgrips and an electric vest connector." 8)

They are the cat's ass. Rode home in the rain with temps not much above freezing, in perfect comfort.

Simon

·
Registered
553 Posts
DonRich90 said:
For anyone planning to ride in cold weather without electric gloves these may be a good option.

http://www.donelsoncycles.com/
Don
Hi Don, reading all of these posts, I wonder who has tried the hand guards made by Suzuki and how they work in the cold weather.
I wear an insulated pair of bib overalls made by Carhart over my regular garments and then an insulated hunting shirt and then the bright Yellow jacket by Carhart, and for my hands so far I'm wearing Remington
insulated (40 grams Thinsulate) gloves and everything works great at 38 degrees or above below that the only thing that gets cold are my hands. Oh I also wear 70% wool socks and insulated boots. So I'm wondering if the hand guards would solve my hans from getting cold.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts