Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today, myself and the events coordinator for Greyhound Pets of America - Centeral NH Chapter took off into the wild blue yonder to do a test run of the poker run we'll be hosting this fall. We figured it would take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to complete, although it took us over five hours to complete. At every checkpoint (Which will be a Petco) we stopped and went into the store to chit-chat. That guy doesn't ever stop talking!!! That's what took us so long, not to mention a side trip to his friends house to check on the construction of his inground pool, and to pet his Llamas. Which as soon as I saw the Llamas, the song "Walk The Llama" by the Rascal Flatts entered my head and I couldn't get rid of it for the rest of the ride. (Another reason I need a radio) Did I mention he never stops talking?? Guess that's why he's the events coordinator, and I just maintain the website... No need for me to talk to a computer screen.

Anyway, it was rather uneventful, 'cept waiting in line at a toll booth. (If ya never been to New England, bring LOTS of change!) We were behind a couple all decked out in black leather on a Harley, and the passenger was digging in the side saddle for some money. Unknowingly she dropped a ten dollar bill. I picked it up, rode up next to them and gave it back. At first they gave me a real strange look. Can't blame 'em, some freak on a freaky lookin' scooter/motorcycle waving a bill at 'em. I told 'em they dropped it, and they were very grateful. Was probably their gas money home. The guy asked who made my bike, I told him suzuki, and he said, "It's different looking!" I pulled back behind 'em, let them pay their toll, then I paid my toll... Thought about it for a second and thought, "eh... why not..." Pushed that little button that says 'Power' and took off like a bat outta hell. Waved at them as I passed, almost immediately the Harley guy downshifted and gunned his engine (How could you miss that sound??) but he didn't have a chance. Hehehe... Smoked another one. :twisted:

Fast forward a few hours...

Cruisin' down a country road, doin' about 55-60 when a dog decided to play chicken with me. I don't know about that dog, but I like my body parts right where they are. I must give thanks to Suzuki for not skimping on the brakes. Had they decided to put a single disk in the front, instead of the duals they have, I'd probably be in the hospital with parts of my body not where they should be. Not to mention, a funeral for the dog.

I was also thankful I took the time when I first got the bike to take it to an empty parking lot and practice some high speed braking to get used to the bike.

Did I mention, he talks too much? :shock:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rob,

A couple of comments.

My last pet was an adopted greyhound. She was a wonderful pet. Required a lot of attention, but gave a lot of affection back in return. We had her for 12 years, then sadly, lost her to bone cancer. If you are doing this run to benefit the greyhound adoption agencies, I think it is a very worthy cause.

In Nebraska, the birds play chicken with scooters and motorcycles constantly. Nebraska has more bird species than any other state in the USA - and most of them are crazy! I've had birds fly across the road at windscreen height, then make a tight u-turn and fly across again from the other direction, missing the windscreen by centimeters - all while I'm going 60 mph. I can almost hear them chirping to their buddies "Hey! How was that one!". It's enough to give me a nervous twitch sometimes.

Good luck with your poker run!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Poker run- test run today.

:joker: Way to go Kias, smoke'em if ya got'em.
Paul, them birds are smart in Arkansas. They do bombing runs on you down here from high altitude. They can be very acurate. :cussing: I can't count the times, in the last ten months i've been rideing. They've splatted me from above. Most of the time it's on my windshield. But one time, one of those ace pilots, got me square on my face shield. :twisted: The little dude dang near blinded me. Till i could get stoped and wash it off. :shock: All i can say is don't look up to often paul. :p
Doug Collins
Springdale,Arkansas

·
Registered
969 Posts
Kias and pauljo,
Sprawled on the couch in front of my computer desk lie Storm and Fancythat, our two adopted greyhounds. They are our third and fourth greys. Storm is blue. Yes. Imagine that. An actual grey greyhound. They're uncommonly rare. Our family's been hounded since the early '90's, and we just couldn't imagine being without at least one grey around the house. 8)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
wasions said:
Kias and pauljo,
Sprawled on the couch in front of my computer desk lie Storm and Fancythat, our two adopted greyhounds. They are our third and fourth greys. Storm is blue. Yes. Imagine that. An actual grey greyhound. They're uncommonly rare. Our family's been hounded since the early '90's, and we just couldn't imagine being without at least one grey around the house. 8)
Ha. Gypsy "owned" our couch too. She'd lay on her back with her head on a throw pillow and sprawl. Just before climbing the stairs to go to bed at night I would pat her on the chest and she would sigh - it was part of the daily routine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have 5 greyhounds in our house right now. 3 are ours, 2 are fosters, 1 is getting adopted out today. Grey Grey's are rare!

Our events coordinator wants to add cars to the poker run. I'm trying to talk him out of it, but if he does, I probably won't go on it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Kias said:
Our events coordinator wants to add cars to the poker run. I'm trying to talk him out of it, but if he does, I probably won't go on it.
Bad idea in my opinion too, and I think I would also decline. Could always organize a separate event, but most car driver's don't have a clue what a Poker Run is - or the camaraderie to participate. Be better off organizing a "walk" as a separate event. The event coordinator probably thinks this will increase participation - but I'd bet that participation would actually drop off severely.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope ya don't mind Paul, but I just sent him your reply. If anyone else has an opinion I could send to him, just shout! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update to this thread. The cars have been dropped, so we're back to just cycles. (YAAAYYY!!!)

I went and re-road the circuit, alone, with nobody else. Took a couple of pictures, and mapped the whole thing out if anyone's interested.

http://www.class104.com

There are two links on that site, so choose wisely. :D

I've been diligently working all day on getting an official announcement on the official type website, but doesn't look like that's going to happen until this weekend. I've learned when you volunteer for a group that are all volunteers, things move really slow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts