Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Plugging a darkside???

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  bvail 
#1 ·
So, after developing a small pin-hole leak in the Nexen tire on my '03 650, I immediately ordered a new Bridgestone Th01 to replace it, then started wondering if anyone had any experience at all with PLUGGING a darkside tire. I know, I know, you should never depend on a plug for a permanent replacement, but some of my buddies are saying the plug would out last the tire. This Nexen has been on my bike for 5 yrs., and it has 15K on it to this point, but still looks brand new. It'd be a risk, right? I'd appreciate any feed-back. (Stop & Go sells a cool looking device with mushroom plugs)

#3 ·
#5 ·
You could always take the wheel off, take it to a tire shop and have them uninstall the tire, do a vulcanized patch on the inside, then reinstall/balance. Hard to say whether that would be worth the cost, but a vulcanized patch inside a tire is the only 100% sure way to fix a tire IMHO.
Also a darksider on my bike. I agree with both posts above. I would plug the tire and run it if it was mine and the hole from whatever caused it was small (nail, screw or something similar) knowing that at some point it may leak again. On a 5 year old tire I would not give it a second thought, if the plug works, ride it. If it does not work, replace the tire. The tire has worked well and you are not out anything by it being replaced early. That said, if the hole was larger than a small puncture, do what Steve says. Take it off and vulcanize a patch on the inside to make sure it is a permanent repair (until the tread wears out). I would say a judgment call on your part. If funds are tight or the timing or whatever does not work out for you now to replace it, just plug it and go. You won't be the first to plug a tire and use it more than the tire makers say you should.

#4 ·
You could always take the wheel off, take it to a tire shop and have them uninstall the tire, do a vulcanized patch on the inside, then reinstall/balance. Hard to say whether that would be worth the cost, but a vulcanized patch inside a tire is the only 100% sure way to fix a tire IMHO.

#9 ·
I carry the Stop&Go kit in my link above and I also have that 'Slime' compressor. I have used the compresser on my bike once but I have plugged 2 Harley tires for riders stranded with a flat.

Its one of those "Yep this scooter dude turned around and stopped. He pulled out a tire plug kit, plugged my flat Harley tire, filled it up with one NOISY air compressor , waved Good-By with a BIG Grin and rode off into the sunset"

#10 ·
I went to a ZRX rally a few years back and one of the other guys there said "I remember you. I had a flat and you pulled a plug kit and compressor out from under your seat and fixed it for me." I guess there are worse things to be remembered for. ;)

I've plugged many motorcycle tires, mostly for other folks. I do have many miles on plugged motorcycle tires and would do it again with no reservations. I firmly believe that in most cases if a plug fails it wasn't done right. I like the Stop-N-Go kit too. I've got one on each bike with a compressor.

I once got three flats on my car at the same time. I don't know where I picked up the nails, but I plugged four holes in three tires and drove them another 40,000 miles.

I've never plugged a car tire on a motorcycle because .... well .... I've never had a car tire on a motorcycle. :)

#12 ·
I also carry a plug kit and the slime compressor. I have never needed and hopefully, never will. I would rather have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it. In the past I have have tires plugged and never had an issue with them. I would be fine with a plugged tire but others may worry. Gotta do what makes "you" comfortable, after all it is you riding the bike

#14 ·
My thanks to all who responded. I am always impressed with the level of excellent ideas and comments here. Stop&Go plug kit has been ordered and anxious to give it a try. I guess sometimes we all just have to kind of experiment with different types of tools and procedures to find what works best for us even something as important as our tires. I’ll let y’all know how it turns out.

#16 ·
Stop&Go plug kit has been ordered and anxious to give it a try.
Absolutely the only person I know who's anxious to get a flat to try out his new kit on! :devil

Seriously....
Here's my thoughts on this.... and what I carry.
If it's a perfectly round hole from a nail or screw, then the stop-n-go type round plug will generally work just fine.
However, if the hold is elongated, even slightly (say from a sharp piece of metal), then the round plug by nature will not work. In that case, I carry the "slimy-rope worms" to put in the hole.
For the minuscule space these kits take, it's easy to have both under your seat and decide what you need to use when/if it happens.

I also note from watching the Stop-n-Go YouTube video that they suggest putting a little "oil" onto the plug so it slides in easier. However the slimy-rope type plugging is covered with a rubber-cement type glue for lubrication, so it binds to the rubber of the tire. For that reason, I carry a small tube of tire patch sealer (from a bicycle shop) to lubricate the plug or worms before ramming it home.

#15 · (Edited)
#17 ·
I have found that the Black 'Stop&Go' mushrooms are dry and may benefit from a smeer of rubber cement. But I also have some Orange mushrooms that are self vulcanizing and need nothing. I tried to pull one Orange out of a two year old plugged tire and could not get it out. It was tearing the black rubber with it.

Reactions: wolfrider
#18 ·
I had a similar problem running over a binge cord,ruining a tire and my research stated that tests were done on plugged motorcycle tires and were proven to be unsafe.
I would shy away from something that my life depended on. Kind of like why wear a $50 helmet if you crash it was wasted $50 but if wearing a DOT safety helmet you might be thankful. IMHO

#19 ·
Chuck, we are talking about putting a plug into a CAR tire that is mounted on a motorcycle. They have a bit different squirm action than a motorcycle tire. A car tire NEVER EVER runs on the sidewall. My current 155/60 HR 14 has 22,000 miles on it and is at about 50% tread left but the little 'NUB'S' on the sidewalls are still over 1 inch long.

But we're not debating the merits of a Car Tire on a bike, just putting a plug in one. :wink

#22 ·
My view is that the mushroom plug or sticky rope gets you home, where you take the tire off the rim and put a good internal patch on. The standard for automotive tires is to plug only if the hole is in the center 1/3 or the tread area. If either a car or motorcycle tire is holed close to or in the sidewall, it's done.

If you're away from home and you don't have a patch kit, there's a couple of old-timer tricks you try (provided the hole isn't too large). The first is a nail-headed screw - this has a big, flat head and shorter finer threads. You can drive that into the hold and it will hold air long enough to get a few miles down the road. The second is an old dirt biker trick - you find a hardware or convenience store and buy a tube of superglue. Rotate the tire so the hole is pointed downward, and push the whole tube of superglue into the hole. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then try to put air in it. Again, this isn't a permanent fix, rather it will get you down the road to some place you can get a new tire.

Either one of theses solutions is designed for 10 miles, tops, and under 50 mph to get home. Not ripping down the road at 80 mph for hundreds of miles. Use at your own risk, etc.

#23 ·
I have used the stop and go kit many times and run the tyre to the ends of its life with them in. Used them in car tyres as well had one in my car tyre for 2 years with no issues. Only thing I would recommend is a small tube of grease as the lube the mushrooms are bathed in dries out and then the plug will not feed through the injection tube freely. Some red rubber grease is perfect. Excellent bit of kit and used by many fellow motorcyclists and 4 wheel users.

#24 ·
On My 2003 Intruder 1500 LC I was losing some air pressure on My 195/65/15 Goodyear Triple Tread and found a nice shiny screw head looking back at me.at 14,000 K. Plugged it and had no problem until I replaced the tire at 65,000 K. No leaks during that time period. Will not waste a good tire But Guarantee You the Burgman will have a C/T on there at change time. Already did the research on best tire recommended.
JIM

#26 ·
I can see Why Dave J liked this post as I stole from his experiences with Car Tires on a Burgman. I never had much luck learning from My mistakes as I generally just made New Ones. I tend to learn with someone else's mistakes, It's a hell of a lot cheaper. LOL.
Took a year of research before I mounted My first C/T and will never go back to a M/T on the rear. I went what they call "Double Darkside" on the Big Cruisers by mounting a Rear Motorcycle tire in a front tire size up front. They have bigger tread depth and I averaged 25,000 K on them with no handling problems. I am an Aggressive rider as apparently at My age, What do I have to lose. LOL.

From Dave;

"155/60 HR 14 has 22,000 miles on it and is at about 50% tread left but the little 'NUB'S' on the sidewalls are still over 1 inch long."

Currently Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

There is a Web Site called "Riding the Dark Side" They have Information on All Bikes and what tires they use + Type of Riding style, PSI to seat, Recommended riding pressure etc. They ALWAYS Stress that it an Individual decision to choose a Darkside Tire. Here is what they have for the Burgman 650.

Suzuki Burgman 650 2006 4 Aggressive Bridgestone Potenza 101-110 35-37
Suzuki Burgman 650 2006 5 Cruiser / Touring Nexen 165/60R14 81-90 38-40
Suzuki Burgman AN650 2006 4.5 Cruiser / Touring other Westlake SP06 165/60-14 61-70 32-34
Suzuki Burgman AN650 2006 5 Aggressive Federal Formosa FD1 165/60-14 101-110 35-37

Hope this helps.
JIM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.