Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a small nail in my rear tire 2005 400 Burg. I put a plug in it and watched it off and on for a few days and it held 35 pounds without a leak. I took it on about a 40 mile ride around town and the plug fell out. I have been very fortunate on plugs before but this is the last one I will ever use unless I have no choice.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Plugs are far more than temporary repairs, and they certainly don't just fall out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It obviously did its job as a temporary repair and got you home so why didn't you get it repaired correctly instead if keep using it? At least you have now learned why they are only a temporary repair!

The only other time that I have ever used a plug was many years ago on a Goldwing. Found a nail in the rear tire on a Sunday in Ashville, NC and a guy at a gas station put one in. I drove the bike for another 1000 miles and sold it and it never lost a pound.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have used plugs for many years and ridden with them many miles. I have had two that didn't hold. One was on a SUV where the hole was near the sidewall and I knew it probably wouldn't hold but it got me home. The other was on my 08 Burgman 400. The hole was apparently through or next to the steel belt and I think the steel belt kept cutting through the plug. It would hold initially and then start leaking, getting worse as the days passed. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again and I carry them with me.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Hmmmm......I have used those "gummy worm" type plugs for years on all of my bikes dating back to the mid 70's and never had a failure. One rear tire on a dirt bike of mine had 5 plugs in it when I finally replaced it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
.. One rear tire on a dirt bike of mine had 5 plugs in it when I finally replaced it.
IIRC dirt bikes have spoked wheels, so you use inner tubes in the tires, which have to be patched.

Plugging the tires would only be to keep out debris from the hole in the tire.

Unless you seal them up http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274533 or use a different kind of rim, where the spokes go to the edge, outside the tire. IIRC BMW was first to use these on their G/S series.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I've gotten 5000 miles on a tire plug (rear tire on a 150cc scooter), though I wouldn't suggest anyone else try it -- I got lucky. If it happened again, I'd replace the tire as soon as I reasonably could.

The alternative is to get a classic Vespa or a Genuine Stella (LML Star) and carry a spare (those bikes have the same tire/wheel front and rear, and both a single-sided swingarm and front fork -- a wheel swap was trivially easy; then again, they had 2-piece rims so replacing the innertube was only slightly more difficult...)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Trouble is, there's always the exception to the rule. My friends father, now in his late seventies, has smoked cigarettes for more than sixty years. He has now cut DOWN to just 60 (yes, sixty) a day and hasn't been visited by the big 'C'. That example doesn't make it safe to smoke though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are cheap plugs and quality plugs the choice is yours. Also if you dont install correctly then this adds to the problem. Have never had a plugged tyre leak yet.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Hmmmm......I have used those "gummy worm" type plugs for years on all of my bikes dating back to the mid 70's and never had a failure. One rear tire on a dirt bike of mine had 5 plugs in it when I finally replaced it.
I have also used them for years with no issues, however generally only on four wheel vehicles; it is important to install them properly:

1. Use the rat-tail rasp and the rubber cement from the kit to roughen and enlarge the puncture to a proper size for the worm, and "prime" and lubricate the puncture;
  2. After inserting the worm twist the insertion tool 1/2 to 3/4 turn to wind up the part of the worm now inside the tiire--this makes a bit of a "mushroomed" head inside the tire;
  3. Pull the insertion tool from the tire in a single rapid movement; do this too slowly and part of the worm may be pulled back through the puncture;

In my more invincible and less well funded days I have used them on bikes, and would likely do so again if the tire in question had a lot of tread life left in it--but doing so would not be my first choice...

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
A single plug reduces your tires speed rating by 20%.

Plugs are good for getting to a place where you can get a new tire.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Everyone has their own (well founded to them) opinion, which is good. I think Steves post makes a great point. I have a rear tire that is almost down to the wear bars. The local club I belong to goes on a lot of long rides. We get together every Thursday and ride sometimes long, sometimes short. For the last two weeks I have thought we were going on a short rides that turned out to be long. All I could think about was my back tire. Today a local dealer had a sale and if you bought two tires they would mount them free. I went ahead and bought a set. I probably could have went a good bit longer until I had to replace it but for piece of mind I replaced it. Now I will not have to feel uncomfortable on any ride. I think I would feel the same if I had a plug in my tire. On my car, yes I might(never drive it anyhow) and twenty or thirty years ago I'm sure I would have no problems with a plug in my bike tire. The older I get the, the less time I have left and more important it is for me to see tomorrow. If we all thought alike life would be dull.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How did you get fags by the censors ? The other day it wouldn't let Steve say ***.

Oh I see now. You can type about a hole pack of fags. But you can't type about one f*g.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts