Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all you Burgman enthusiasts from your newest and 1000th member. I am David in Hawaii. i am about to acquire a new '04 650! I have been riding for 43 years and have owned over 20 bikes of all kinds. Currently I have two extremes -- a Honda Elite 80 scoot and an '02 Indian Chief.

I applaud the members of this forum for providing the friendliest of all forums I have experienced. Although there is a bit of "pimping" in replies, there is a real sense of caring -- for example the very warm welcome extended to all newcomers. I have gained a lot of enthusiasm for the Burgman scooters and lots of knowledge by following this forum for the past couple of weeks.

I recently rode the 400 at the local dealer and, after studying the comments on this forum and realizing my love of bigger, more powerful machines, I am convinced the 650 is for me.... at least until there is a 750 or 1000 Burgman someday! :p

I just talked to the local dealer today and they have a new black 650 still in the crate. He wanted the MSRP PLUS his usual $800 or so add ons. After suggesting I would be better off to buy one on the mainland at a good price and ship it over, he finally offerd me about $1000 off the MSRP plus the add ons for an out the door price of $7615. Although I see a dealer on cycletrader.com with a price of $6575 it would probably cost me about $1000 to ship it over here, so I am probably going to go with the local dealer. Unfortunately, I will essentially be paying full price for a year old model. I would love to get an '05, but they may not be here til late April, and that is a lot of happy miles down the road! :wink:

I would love to hear others' opinions on whether they think I could do any better on getting one to Hawaii and how people like the black 650's -- the color now available at my dealer.

I look forward to making a lot of new friends on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help!

David

P.S. Bought the black '04 650 today 1/8/05. It's awesome! The brake pads should last forever, with the engine braking being soooo effective!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums David. Glad to have you join us 1000th member or not. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congratulations David on being #1,000. And of all things, we're on the same island! This is like finding my long lost brother :p . We will ride as soon as you get your Burger.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Please welcome your 1000th member! :)

drlipo said:
Hello to all you Burgman enthusiasts from your newest and 1000th member. I am David in Hawaii.

I would love to hear others' opinions on whether they think I could do any better on getting one to Hawaii and how people like the black 650's -- the color now available at my dealer.
Greetings, David, and welcome to Burgman USA. :hello2:

Can't help you on the Hawaii question, since I don't have any experience with that ('though I hear that most things are expensive there do to the shipping situation), but I can tell you that I like the black 650s.

I got the silver, because my dealer had one in stock, but I think black looks really sharp.

I got a year old model too, and don't think I made a wrong choice. I did a lot of riding in the weeks that I would have been waiting for a new model. And hopefully by the time I'm ready to trade in for a new one the Executive model (or something even cooler) will be available here.

Anyway, welcome again, and happy riding.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings David and welcome to the forum.

I think you should probably go with your dealer if the difference in price is minimal. You may need his services sometime down the road. Good luck in getting your new 650.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Welcome to the group!!!!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA David. I do like my dark blue '03 a lot, but if I had to buy an '04 it would be black. I'd go with the local dealer too. Less hassle, you don't have to deal with the issue of shipping, and like Allan stated you'll need their assistance eventually even if you plan on doing your own basic service. Might as well help keep them in business since you aren't looking at a major price difference.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yo David,
As most of the rest of the members know, I met Chickenman in Honolulu and rode his 400 for a couple of days. I ride a black 650. Now Hen (Chickenman) might not want to take yours for a spin, for personal reasons which I totally understand, but it would be very cool if you would give him a ride, and say it's from me. 8)

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Hawaiian- ... rgerSteve2

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi David! Welcome to the Forum. Sounds to me like like the price is fair. It's always good to buy from a local dealer (assuming he and his service staff are competent). You may save a few bucks buying somewhere else but it's more important to have a good relationship with someone locally who can provide you with parts and service.
I have an '04 black 650. I originally wanted silver but it would have meant a wait and I wanted my Burgman NOW! I'm not sorry. I didn't like tha all black fairing so I added the Suzuki chrome trim piece for the fairing and it really made a big difference. It looks sharp.
Have fun! :lol:
Don

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome

billmeek said:
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums David. Glad to have you join us 1000th member or not. :)
Yea, Welcome David we won't hold that against ya

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
David,

Welcome to The Burgman Forum, I've passed a couple of good deals because I want the 2005 with the overdrive. I seen the specs on the internet but can not find a dealer who is sure that the 05 will have over drive. We have had a lot of unusaly warm weather here in East Texas.

I saw a good deal with a dealer in Cycle Trader. The out the door price is under $7,000.00. He is right at 600 miles from here in Alabama., I don't know if I'll hang there in Alabama for 600 miles to get that service done or ride it home and let my local dealer do it but I think he might be up set because he didn't get the sale. I plan to do all of the service needed after the first one. Anybody have any suggestions on how I should or where I should have my first service done, at the dealer where I purchased or at my local dealer. I don't want to do anything that might interfer with my guarantee.

David, congradulations on being member number 1000. When we build a bridge from your state to the main land I'll come by and you can show me around.

Happy Trails,
Poppy

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Paul,

Thanks, I should of thought of that, I'll ask him.

Happy Trails,
Poppy

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
David,

Welcome to the group.

My advice is to buy now and start enjoying the ride. There is a risk when you purchase from a dealer out of your area. If the bike comes in damaged it could take months to collect insurance and have repairs done to your brand new bike :cry:

The black is a beauty, but I think the silver is faster :wink:

Janine

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
JKirstin said,

The black is a beauty, but I think the silver is faster

I don't want the slow black beauty, the silver might be to fast so I'm leaning towards the blue, not to fast and not to slow but just right.

Happy Trails
Poppy

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Please welcome your 1000th member! :)

drlipo said:
I applaud the members of this forum for providing the friendliest of all forums I have experienced. Although there is a bit of "pimping" in replies, there is a real sense of caring -- for example the very warm welcome extended to all newcomers. I have gained a lot of enthusiasm for the Burgman scooters and lots of knowledge by following this forum for the past couple of weeks.

I look forward to making a lot of new friends on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help!

David
Hi David
Welcome to the Forum :hello2:
You have 999 friends on here - already! :thumbright:
But pray, educate me - "pimping"? :scratch:
:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re: "pimping"

hi normanb and thanks for the welcome. i am going to head down to the dealer this afternoon to check out that black '04 650!

"pimping" is like teasing, or giving someone a hard time, but all in fun! so now you know and you have a label for your occasional behaviour! :lol:

david

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
mmm - I didn't think it was that occassional. :wink:

But 'pimping' - really - that has such seedy connotations.!!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Every occassion you see an opening? :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts