Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(
My sister had a near fatal accident on her new Burgman caused, she said, by the steering blocking on a straight causing her to crash. She was extremely "lucky", anyone out there with similar a experience?
Your help would be much appreciated.
Mas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
obknob said:
:(
My sister had a near fatal accident on her new Burgman caused, she said, by the steering blocking on a straight causing her to crash. She was extremely "lucky", anyone out there with similar a experience?
Your help would be much appreciated.
Mas
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "steering blocking on a straight"... could you clarify?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for your quick response. Basically the bike weered to the right and she could not steer as it was blocked. Her struggle was confirmed by a witness driving behind her.
Many thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
I've personally not heard of this, but now my curiosity is really piqued! If no one else on the forum can attest to anything similar could you please keep us informed as to the results of any findings? I hope your sister is ok!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks anyway, hopefully someone will be able to help us.
My sister's "ok": few broken bones, fingers and toes and an amputated thumb...as I said...she was "lucky". She'll definately never ride again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Re: Thanks

obknob said:
Thanks anyway, hopefully someone will be able to help us.
My sister's "ok": few broken bones, fingers and toes and an amputated thumb...as I said...she was "lucky". She'll definately never ride again.
Some details would really help. Bleeder's on the right track with his questions, so getting 'help' on the forum would be much easier with as much info as you can provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My sister had the accident in Italy (she lives there), she is 32 and she's been driving scooters since she was 14, so quite experienced. Her speed at the time of the accident was 60KM p/h, about 38m p/h.
Many thanks for your interest on the issue.

P.S. Her bike is a Burgman 125
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
At 38 mph you're not "steering" a bike to turn it, you're leaning it. Yes yes yes you should counter steer to lean (please let's not start one of those tortured counter steering arguments) but the point is: At 38 mph your sister should have been able to manuever the bike without "steering" it. Since I live where people sue one another for sport, I do wonder if there is such a motivation here. If not, I mean no offense.




Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Bleeder said:
At 38 mph you're not "steering" a bike to turn it, you're leaning it. Yes yes yes you should counter steer to lean (please let's not start one of those tortured counter steering arguments) but the point is: At 38 mph your sister should have been able to manuever the bike without "steering" it. Since I live where people sue one another for sport, I do wonder if there is such a motivation here. If not, I mean no offense.




Peace.
It does sound like they are looking to lay the groundwork for a lawsuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
My hesitation is that I have spent ALOT of time in Italy and found that typically, generally speaking their propensity for litigation does not even remotely resemble our own. If that is the case here, I will feel like an ass.




Peace.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,296 Posts
Well if there is any truth to the statement (allegedly supported by witnesses) - no offence intended.

At 38 mph if the steering is put over to full lock in what I take an almost instaneous action you will high side and be off within nanoseconds.

The only thing I can think that could cause that would be an external force either input from the rider (unlikely) or hitting a pothole or such like.


If the young lady was going very much slower and the bars whipped over and she was unable to 'retrieve them' - then it could be an extremely notchy head bearing - but they normally only get notchy - fore and aft so to speak.

Sorry neither the post or the story floats my boat :scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
NormanB said:
At 38 mph if the steering is put over to full lock in what I take an almost instaneous action you will high side and be off within nanoseconds
If it happened in a nanosecond, there would not have been a struggle and a witness. The accident took place over significant time and distance.

obknob said:
Her struggle was confirmed by a witness driving behind her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
The information is just to sketchy to pin anything down but my money would be on a raised lip in the street
-it only takes a 11/2 inch "lip or curb" hit at the wrong angle and you can't steer (or lean) and your going down :(

But a lot more important is the fact that she is going to be all right
even if it will take some time to heal :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
If it happened "over significant time and distance" then I would have to guess that provided no one was close behind her, braking would have been the order of the day.

Any groove in the roadway could have done her in. Once, on my Helix, I was forced to take a road that was being prepped for repaving. The grooves left on the surface were taking the helix and moving the narrower front wheel a good 6 to 8 inches (maybe more) side to side while the wider rear wheel stayed put. The speed limit on the road was 45 but I couldn't go over 30MPH, and I have ridden for over 14 years, have my MSF, etc.

But back to the original post. The one thing I think can be confidently eliminated is mechanical failure. Just my opinion.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top