Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a very limited color choice in the Gmax G54 helmet (the one with the rear brake light), I've only got a few choices and I need the best option for visibility for both day/night riding.

What I've done in the past is to get a white helmet and paint it fluorescent yellow/green. It's a pain to try and take everything out and off, and you really can't get it all painted and no matter how much masking tape you use, you still get some overspray.

I had a helmet from another vendor that came in high-rez orange (which I liked).

So, hear are the available choices: Wine (a dark burgundy), titanium and white (the two black are moot). I'm wanting to add some reflective stickers to these, but with the greatly increased venting (my head will really appreciate this next summer - my HCJ has little venting), I'm not sure if I can. Hey, I've got a yellow vest, so I'm not trying to necessary coordinate with that - being a big garish doesn't bother me.

So, thoughts please, and remember, please be economical. BTW, painting is also off the table as an option.

Here's the link for the actual color choices: http://www.compacc.com/p/Gmax-GM54-Helmets-Modular-Street-Solids

PS: Does anyone remember what that helmet was called that came, or was supposed to come out, a few years ago that something in the helmet's manufacture that acted like you had rear viewing capacity?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Happytech...
For what it's worth I believe it's good to be seen and then seen again.
The main danger to inattentive motorists is a Policeman, who wears a WHITE helmet..!! Making your helmet a hi viz colour only proves that you're not a threat to the hip pocket. One to be disregarded.
Having a white helmet, at least makes other motorists look...twice!!!
I was taught that by a motorcycle riding instructor, and it's always worked for me.
I flashed a friend I was following on a freeway, and their first thought was 'Oh S..t'....
Be noticed because of the fear factor. It works better than the courtesy factor.
On 2 wheels you need all the help you can get....
Nomess

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Hi Happytech...
For what it's worth I believe it's good to be seen and then seen again.
The main danger to inattentive motorists is a Policeman, who wears a WHITE helmet..!! Making your helmet a hi viz colour only proves that you're not a threat to the hip pocket. One to be disregarded.
Having a white helmet, at least makes other motorists look...twice!!!
I was taught that by a motorcycle riding instructor, and it's always worked for me.
I flashed a friend I was following on a freeway, and their first thought was 'Oh S..t'....
Be noticed because of the fear factor. It works better than the courtesy factor.
On 2 wheels you need all the help you can get....
Nomess
Bruce...... I agree. I know that folks have slowed down for me as they first think I'm a cop as & wear a white helmet & have a black bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
safety first, get the white and increase the changes to be seen.

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
Bruce...... I agree. I know that folks have slowed down for me as they first think I'm a cop as & wear a white helmet & have a black bike. ;)
You really want to spook up the Cage drivers, paint the top half gloss black and leave the bottom white. Put in black letters on the white part:

.......... BE
POLITE

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
White not only has the advantage of being easier seen, but in a sunny environment like Texas, it won't absorb heat like darker colors. Someone told me once that there could be an almost 20 degree difference inside between the two colors on a hot summer day.

Personally, I keep two helments, white for summer and black for winter. I also switched to silver colored jacket and pants for summer riding; big difference in the heat absorption.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Had kept couple of study done in Europe, when hard disk fail lost info. but remember that both say about same, white, yellow, orange, burgundy or other very very bright colour best for safety, be seen and recognized by everyone. They have preference for white.

All dark color bad, black worst as dark and black clothe.

Good luck with choice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having been rear-ended, I understand your concern. Rather than get a helmet with "tail" lights on it, have you considered adding extra tail lights and/or a barke light modulator for more visability to the trafffic behind you. Just my opinion, and worth little or nothing. YMMV

·
Registered
39 Posts
I read this on a motorcycle forum, but I don't recall which one. When I read it, it seemed to be backed up by facts, but I don't have anything to back it up here. A young person (20's) can see white and the hi-viz colors equally well. As people age, they can see white better than colors. IIRC, reds start to fade first, then yellow. White goes last.

I agree with Jamerican. Extra lighting will be seen better than any color helmet.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got extra brake lights that are wired in to my Back-off flasher.

In addition, I replaced the front/rear side reflectors with lighted reflectors and then bought additional wiring harnesses so that they act as both running and turn signals. The fronts were almost a perfect fit (just a touch of clear silicone to seal).

When I do order, I think I'll go with the white. Thanks to all.

Basically, I want the judge to have no doubt in his/her mind that the bozo that runs over me could see me but was just too stupid to take responsibility for their actions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Basically, I want the judge to have no doubt in his/her mind that the bozo that runs over me could see me but was just too stupid to take responsibility for their actions.
Not a bad idea, if you aren't before the Honarable Judge Bozo.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A courtroom is a strange place and it's tough for an outsider to predict the dynamic. This is the real reason why you need an attorney - the attorney will know what to expect and will be able to adapt to changing conditions. Nothing makes you good at something like doing it every day.

Having said that, I can't really see a downside to festooning your ride with lights like a carnival ride if your primary goal is conspicuity.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a white helmet, black jacket and a white bike. I wear a half-helmet when riding solo, and a fulll helmet with a microphone when I'm riding with my wife. Likewise, people think I'm a cop and give me a wide berth.

I vote for a white helmet. White is cooler and more visible than the alternatives.

Regards
Scott Fraser

1 - 16 of 16 Posts