Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance to all that reply.
I have a 2005 Burgman and started the scooter and it sounded much louder than usual. Some white smoke came from the cvt and very small steel shavings came from the cvt. What is the likely cause and is it worth it to have it fixed.

Thanks again to all,
Peter

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It would help to know which model you're asking about. The cvt design is completely different between the 400 and the 650.

White smoke is usually indicative of burning condensation. Where exactly is the smoke and steel shavings coming from? Was something wrong the last time you rode it? A little bit of history goes a long way in diagnosis. Mileage, time of ownership, maintenance & problem history, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Since you are posting in the pre 07 400 section I assume that is the bike you are talking about. My guess would be either a bearing has gone bad or you have a clutch problem. Only way to find out is to pull the cover off the CVT and give it a look.

If the bike is in otherwise good shape repairing the CVT should be a viable option, especially if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
White smoke? Perhaps the CVT's college of cardinals elected a new pope?

Sorry Peter, Liam is right - we need more info so we can ask further questions before we can make an effective diagnosis.

But welcome to the forum! Sorry your first post is about a problem, but you'll get all sorts of knowledgeable help here. Glad you found us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your super quick responses.
1. History: 2005 Suzuki Burgman. Oil changes have been done every 3500 miles and final gear oil every 7000 miles. Haven't replaced the v-belt. The mileage is at 24000 miles. Owned since around 16000 miles. Speedometer went out a little while ago. I am not very mechanically inclined unfortunately - work in a bakery
2. Problem Background: In an attempt to diagnose the speedometer problem, downloaded a service manual from a google search. Unfortunately I didn't notice the manual was for a 2007+ Burgman scooter. The manual indicated the speed sensor was behind the transmission housing. Looked and lo and behold, no sensor. Reassembled and screwed the cvt assembly. Started the bike and heard a terrible sound. Turned the bike off and pulled a screw diagram for the transmission assembly from Suzukipartshouse. One of the long screws was placed into the wrong hole. So with all of the screws correctly placed now, I started the bike and small amounts of white smoke appeared above the transmission and very small shards of metal, perhaps 20 or so, fell onto the ground. The bike was immediately shut off. No attempt was made to give the bike some throttle.
3. This is depressing.

Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
151 Posts
>One of the long screws was placed into the wrong hole.

Good, thanks for the info about removing the CVT cover and problem with using a long bolt in a short hold during the re-assembly. FYI, I had a friend who was a trained motorcycle mechanic and he taught me to always go back to the last thing you touched on the bike when a problem shows up.

I'm going to throw a question out for the forum in regards to the long bolt in the short CVT cover hole. Would it be possible to crack or go through into the engine case if indeed the long bolt was fully bottomed out on the CVT cover during re-assembly? A crack or hole would allow oil or antifreeze to leak which would cause the smoke?

·
Registered
341 Posts
You just need to take the cover back off and have a look-see.
The metal gasket that goes around the whole cover is on correctly? If not, it could be cutting the variator or clutch making the little shavings.
Shameless plug - I have a new Malossi drive belt for your scoot for sale in the classifieds, and you need one!

One trick- With a Sharpie, number the bolts, remember where you start. Don't count the ones holding the plastic cover, just the cvt cover. You could even number the case along with the bolts.

I don't think you would crack, bottom out, and go through the case unless you REALLY overtightened the bolts.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Ouch! I did that wrong bolt thing with a water pump on a ford. Permatex solved that problem as it did bottom out and punch a hole. I was lucky that time and learned a valuable lesson from it. I hope when you inspect everything again you find the source of the metal and smoke and it is an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I agree you are going to have to take it back apart and figure out what that long bolt was hitting. Whether or not it could have bottomed out and broken through into an area that contains oil would depend on which hole you screwed it into.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you need a service manual, pm your email address. I have one in PDF format, as well as an owners manual. You need the right manual in order to do things correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take a look at the 2 screws that hold the CVT filter. The one in the back is long and could be over tightened getting it into the CVT fan. That makes 2 metals touching producing heat and shavings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts