Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up the parts bike with perfect plastic. Out of curiosity, how long should it take me to replace every piece of plastic on the bike? And what would be the best type of paint to paint the black pieces of plastic? Like the dash area and such. I'm looking at Dupli-color. Saw someone on here had used it. Would that be the strongest and most permanent type to use? I pretty much want to dye the plastic black so it stays black. Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Most auto paint or auto interior shops sell a dye for plastic that should work good. Others will probably chime in with more suggestions.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
It took me about 3 hours to take all the plastic off my 400 and put it back on.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Plastics can be hard to paint! Are you wanting to change color or just make them new looking again? The black plastic panels are most likely polypropylene {coded as PP or 5 on the back often in the recycle triangle}.

Back to black works great to bring plastics back to new looking. Sadly it does leave the surface a little oily. Extremely faded plastic may not look perfect but even those come back to an amazing degree.

If you want to change the color, here are some tips.
First off make sure the parts are clean! Even the oil from your skin can prevent paint from sticking to plastics.
Next make sure you sand them, even if you want to keep the molded texture. I use scotch-brite pads to scuff up plastic surfaces before painting.
I recommend you use an adhesion promoter designed for plastics. I think Dupli-color has one if not another brand could be used with Dupli-color paint. Do a test in a hidden spot first just to make sure there is no unwanted reaction.
To do the actual painting go slow and build coats rather than trying to cover all at once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts