Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Me and my wife, we're planning a riding trip starting August 15. We'll make around 1700 miles in 10 days. We're going to start from Brooklyn NY and our first stop will be Norfolk, Virginia. Early next morning we're going to hit the road for Myrtle Beach. We're going to start riding again early next morning to Charleston. We want to stay in Charleston for a few days. If we can do it, we may ride to Savannah for a day and come back while we're in Charleston. Next stop will be Charlotte, then Carytown, Richmond. And our last stop will be Baltimore before we head back home to Brooklyn.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated from fellow Burgman riders who had done something similar before. Any accessories that would make the trip more comfortable, any roads to definitely ride or avoid riding, things to be careful about, etc...

We'd be happy to meet up with fellow Burgman riders who are living at our destinations.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wow, you sure picked the wrong month to visit the south. Plan on heat. Lots of heat. And humidity. We are talking temps over 100 degrees and humidity over 70 %. August is when we that live in the south plan vacations in the north.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would recommend a camelback filled with ice & water... my longer trips found that sun+heat+wind= dehydration. I found that putting a camelback full of ice inside my mesh jacket, and routed around so I can drink while driving really helped.

The other thing I did not think of, is sunscreen... I found I had raccoon tanning around the sunglasses out to the edge of the helmet...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sushi restaurant in mt pleasant sc called fusion or something like that across the bridge from charleston. Very good

Visit nc zoo in Asheboro and lots of pottery shops in seagrove nc. U can make a day of those two things

Hit mt airy and see the town thAt inspired Mayberry

Cruise by pilot mountain

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Definitely dress for the weather, it will be hot,humid and sunny. have your rain gear close at hand because there can be some pretty nasty pop up thunder storms that time of the year also. Down here if you wear a riding jacket then a mesh type is preferred due to the heat. As already advised sunscreen, and hydration are important. Keep a check on your tire pressures and oil level.

Unless you are pressed for time I would stay off I-95 and travel the more scenic coastal hwys like US 13 down to Norfolk and then 17 from Norfolk to Savannah. Just remember to watch out for the local LEO's in the smaller towns. Most of their revenue comes from unsuspecting out of state travelers.

When you firm up your times for the Charleston area give me a Pm. We have several riders in the Chas. area who get together for day rides on a regular basis. We could possibly meet up for breakfast and compare farkles, road stories and maybe even a short ride around town.

Wish you luck and good weather on your trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the advices! I'll definitely pm you when I'm in the Charleston area!
Definitely dress for the weather, it will be hot,humid and sunny. have your rain gear close at hand because there can be some pretty nasty pop up thunder storms that time of the year also. Down here if you wear a riding jacket then a mesh type is preferred due to the heat. As already advised sunscreen, and hydration are important. Keep a check on your tire pressures and oil level.

Unless you are pressed for time I would stay off I-95 and travel the more scenic coastal hwys like US 13 down to Norfolk and then 17 from Norfolk to Savannah. Just remember to watch out for the local LEO's in the smaller towns. Most of their revenue comes from unsuspecting out of state travelers.

When you firm up your times for the Charleston area give me a Pm. We have several riders in the Chas. area who get together for day rides on a regular basis. We could possibly meet up for breakfast and compare farkles, road stories and maybe even a short ride around town.

Wish you luck and good weather on your trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts