Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are currently planning a two-week trip on our pair of '09 400's out of Grand Junction, Colorado :D We will visit friends and family in Albuquerque (New Mexico), Fort Worth (Texas), Pensacola (Florida), Atlanta (Georgia), Goodletsville (Tennessee), Springfield (Missouri), Douglas (Wyoming), Denver (Colorado), and to include a planned stop in New Orleans (Louisiana). There will be other, still-to-be determined stops, with the route also taking us through Mississippi, Alabama, possibly Kentucky, Kansas, and possibly Nebraska (OMG, that's 12 to 14 states and the first time I actually figured it up :shock: ). Presuming things at work don't necessitate cancelling, we plan to be going the last two weeks of May. We'll be avoiding Interstates as much as possible and, while there won't be much time to visit places, we will be looking to pass through interesting places. For those stops where we will not be staying with friends or family, I plan to mix things up, some (camp, B & B's, hostel or, invites from fellow scooter enthusiasts :wink: ). It would also be cool if anyone would ride along for parts of the ride 8) Any suggestions on specific routes or sites to take in during our journey would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a possible route. Stops in the cities mentioned in the original post are pretty set in stone. Those in Amarillo and York, as well as the route details are preliminary and subject to suggestions.

[attachment=0:3quokmqc]Initial Route.jpg[/attachment:3quokmqc]

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redbeard said:
If you want to change York, NE to Omaha, NE I can put you up overnight. Consider this a invite from fellow scooter enthusiast. :D
Thanks for the invite Redbeard, but that would make the leg into Douglas a little long at well over 500 miles. :(

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
There is definitely some awesome riding between points G and H. My favorite area to ride!
If your going to be in Atlanta for a stop over let me know and we can maybe meet up.
I'd offer a bed but a sofa would have to do as I turned our spare room into a project room and it is cluttered to the max.
One of the pleasures of finally being an empty-nester.
It looks like you'll be going close to Warm Springs, Ga coming up from Bama. It is a Great Bike/Scooter friendly town with specialty shops on Main Street for the Lady's and all Bike shops including an Indian Motorcycle Museum on the alley just behind them. The Bullock House Buffet is a Classic Southern style place to eat that i highly recommend. Warm Springs also has "The Little White House" State Park where President FDR lived and got therapy for his Polio. If your going through or close by it is worth it to stop and check it out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sounds like a whole lot of riding and not much looking around .
Hope you can find time to enjoy the trip not just the ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ditto what DandyDoug said. That's a **** ambitious itinerary for only a two week trip. Riding all day is not necessarily a relaxing experience; my gal loves to ride and has her own 650 Burgie, but would mutiny around the 3rd 8-10 hour day in the saddle.

·
Registered
585 Posts
momule said:
Ditto what DandyDoug said. That's a **** ambitious itinerary for only a two week trip. Riding all day is not necessarily a relaxing experience; my gal loves to ride and has her own 650 Burgie, but would mutiny around the 3rd 8-10 hour day in the saddle.
+1
One of the most enjoyable things to do in this world is get on your ride and leave the world behind for 3-4 hours. I looked forward to those short rides every time one was planned - and the pure joy of the unplanned ride is even better! That is therapy of the highest order! At least it is for me.

One of the most excruciating things you'll encounter with that 'joy' machine is having to ride for 10 hours - and worse yet - knowing you'll have to do it again tomorrow - and the day after! It takes the joy out of riding. Planning a trip with shorter riding hours per day will make for a memorable trip IMO. I've been on both kinds of rides and I'll never willingly do a ride where the next motel stop is 500 miles - there is simply no time to see whats in-between. May as well take a plane IMO.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I appreciate everyone's suggestions, as well as concerns regarding some long days, the worst of which I intended from the beginning to split but, hadn't put any time into choosing a place. We'll have 16 days available. I'll add a stop in Jasper, Texas (new point I), and that will nicely split the trip between New Orleans and Fort Worth. I think we could go in the opposite direction (clockwise) from what was originally planned, thus getting the longer rides done while we're freshest, having a good rest at the east end with two 2-day stops in a row (now, E and F), and leaving us with generally shorter rides the rest of the way. We'll also have a two-night layover in Fort Worth (J). Being summer, we will have lots of daylight available and the chance to take significant rests at places of interest. As the main idea is to get to the east end, I don't see shortening up the trip by much while avoiding Interstates, or adding more intermediate stops without loosing a 2-day layover with friends/family or a buffer day for problems. If we find it's too much, we can always close the loop short without reaching the eastern objective but still having quite an adventure. Additional comments are welcome.

[attachment=0:3ho1zrop]Route Revision 1.jpg[/attachment:3ho1zrop]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've done many of these multi city, multi thousand mile trips and would tell you that the following things help.

Make sure you're well prepared with gear for cold and warm as well as rain and dry.

Make sure all your luggage is waterproof, hardbags and softbags lined with plastic contractor bags. Wet clothes and or gear gets worthless.

Plan to use Interstate Highways "Judiciously". Use them to chew off miles in the boring parts so you have more time for the interesting parts. Use them when it gets toward dark and your destination for the night is further off then planned. They are safer at night.

Make your bike as comfortable as possible, custom seats or seat pads, grip changes or adjustments.

Make enough stops to avoid over stress and stay well hydrated.

Reward yourselves with motels over camping as needed.

Good breakfast, small fast lunch and good dinners, maximize day and make for better endurance.

Consider a com system if you don't have one.

Check equipment and bikes carefully before departure.

You have an ambitious great route with beautiful roads and boring lengths.

I might be on some of those roads during your trip, but I haven't made my summer riding/trip plans yet.

Good Luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
You are a lucky person. I would love such adventure. Spontaneous is thrilling. My wife if spontaneous every other Thursday between 3:17 pm and 3:24 pm. Be safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
:( We had a vacation coordination glitch and it looks we'll be restricted to a long week (both weekends). This will not allow us to get to our intended destinations out east so, we are replanning for a westward trip. It will still cover about 2000 miles round-trip and I think will involve mostly camping. The starting point "A" coincides with the ending point "H". I still welcome suggestions on rout details and things to see/do along the way. Here's the latest:

[attachment=0:161w7kqb]Westward loop.jpg[/attachment:161w7kqb]

This link shows details: http://goo.gl/maps/iyvOb

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Having done many long distance trips, including multiple cross country jaunts, by car (not bike, sorry) I have found that food and water management are critical to comfort and managing rest stops.

Food: Oatmeal in the morning is, to me, one of the keys to a good trip. Oatmeal digests slowly providing energy over time. Big breakfasts will make you uncomfortable, among other things. Go for multiple small meals and snacks, low sugar content at that, during the course of the day. I space them about 2 or 3 hours apart. Big meals, again, can make me uncomfortable, bloated and sleepy so I avoid them.

Water: Hydration is important. Even more so than food, but what many don't realize is that too much water can be a problem, too. I try to keep my hydration level up to the point where I need a pit stop every 2 or 3 hours. If I need a break more often than that I'm taking in too much fluid. My intake varies with the temperature and how much energy I'm expending, so it's a bit tricky to manage perfectly.

The bottom line is that I usually take a break when driving long distances about every 2 or 3 hours during which time i make a pit stop, eat a small meal or snack and replenish my fluids as needed. I also walk around, stretch and relax for a few minutes. When I ride my Burgman the trips are much shorter, at the most only some hundreds of miles, but I try to keep to the same basic routine. (When my wife is riding pillion the breaks seem to be more frequent for some reason. :roll: )

That's my two cents about it. Change, please.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
While at Arches NP if you have time go over to Canyon Lands NP well worth the trip. Between Las Vegas & Great Basin NP there is a lot of open space with VERY few gas stations so don't pass a open one up. :wink: Oh and watch out for the aliens on that road. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Desert Rat said:
While at Arches NP if you have time go over to Canyon Lands NP well worth the trip. Between Las Vegas & Great Basin NP there is a lot of open space with VERY few gas stations so don't pass a open one up. Oh and watch out for the aliens on that road.
1) I'll try to do a drive-through :thumbup:
2) :withstupid: I wouldn't hear the end of that. Noted
3) The camera will be kept handy :alien:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I lived in that part of the country (just outside of Kanab UT) for about three years; you've got a great trip ahead of you! The only alternate I'd suggest: between points E and F, instead of heading east at Cedar City, go a bit further southwest to St. George, then take UT 9 east through Zion National Park, then back up US89 to rejoin your planned route. The run across from Cedar City is pretty spectacular (rises to 10000 feet), but Zion and the surrounding areas should be on every rider's bucket list.

Desert Rat's point about gas is true everywhere in the region. Stations are few and far between, and you might want to figure out where to stash an extra gallon or two. Otherwise, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in the process if making further alterations. I had http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Colorado_81.htmlut bookmarked but, had not accessed the site for this trip :roll: . When I recently did, I found that while I had planned some interesting destinations in the northern portion of the trip, the routes themselves didn't seem to be getting much attention from the two-wheeled community :( . By centering the interactive map on Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico, a more southerly, almost continuous loop of routes that have received high praise from those sharing our interest just jumps out :cheers: . In the next couple of days I'll share my new iteration. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the final iteration of our upcoming trip. I looks to be taking us through some beautiful country, mostly on roads that have been highly recommended for motorcycle touring. The links are to maps of each day's ride. Places shown in bold are layovers. If they are not marked as places tol camp, we will be looking for homes, hostels, motels, B&B's, etc. to stay at. Anyone is welcome to join for one or more legs. If it involves camping, get with me for more detailed info so you can make a reservation at the same place. If it involves another accommodation, staying together may depend on where it is so, we'll have to work out details. Our stop in Albuquerque will be to visit some friends and they won't have room for extras so, anyone joining us for a leg into or out of there, will need to arrange separate accommodations. If anyone would like to put us up for a night on one of our non-camping stops or, have a particular recommendation for a hostel, or reasonable motel or B&B, please PM me ASAP.

Grand Junction, CO START
Gateway, CO
Naturita, CO
Moab, UT
Arches National Park, UT Saturday 5/11 camp http://goo.gl/maps/6OTUf
Blanding, UT
Natural Bridges National Monument, UT
Charles Hall Ferry, UT
Hanksville, UT Sunday 5/12 http://goo.gl/maps/F7LIo
Torrey, UT
Capitol Reef National Park, UT (Scenic Drive, Burr Trail)
Zion National Park, UT Monday 5/13 camp http://goo.gl/maps/4M4IV
Hurricane, UT
Fredonia, AZ
Grand Canyon North Rim Visitors’ Center
Marble Canyon, AZ Tuesday 5/14 camp http://goo.gl/maps/P13sN
Tusayan, AZ
Payson, AZ Wednesday 5/15 http://goo.gl/maps/sA6FA
Globe, AZ
Show Low, AZ
Eagar, AZ
Apache National Forest, AZ Thursday 5/16 camp http://goo.gl/maps/qawVL
Eagar, AZ