Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a phone call from a dealer that I placed a standing order with about 3 months ago and my new front tires are here. :lol: Now here is the rest of the story. These tires were ordered from Parts Unlimited and the tire number when checked came up not in stock when the rep came in the dealer asked when this would be avaible and upon checking they found the part number in there catalog was wrong. The correct part number for Parts Unlimited for the GTS 23-05 tire size 120/70 15 is#0340-0025 :lol:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pirrelli Tires

I had the dealer run a check this morning and he said Parts Unlimited was showing about 30 front tires avaible in there system in the USA.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I gave the part # that you listed above to my local independent motorcycle shop and voila, the "not available till next season" Pirelli front tire(AN 650) showed-up 24 hours later.
I now have a spare set tucked under my bed. :)
Thanks for the input.
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Paul,

Do you also have the part # for the rear? May as well grab a set, gonna need 'em sooner than later...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Strange, I had my local independent dealer call Parts Unlimited today and was told that the Pirelli GTS 23-05 was still unavailable. I thought that I'd give them a call but the only way they could be reached by phone was through a system of giving them your number on-line, then waiting for them to call you. Well, of course, I'm still waiting! I also called a few other discount dealers and got the same story, the tires are still not available! Most frustating. I suppose I'll eventually get one!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
193 Posts
Burger Bob
Did your dealer try the number that Magyver listed above. We got the same story until we gave the correct # and then had the tire in 24hrs.
I already had a rear tire and it was never an issue.
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, I gave him the number and told him of the mix-up, so I imagine that he gave them the correct one. However, I wish I could talk to Parts Unlimited directly and get it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear tire

This makes no sence at all the Pirelli rear tire from Parts Unlimited has the following part # GTS 24-05. I know this because I just pulled it off my shelf and it still has there band on the tire with there # on it why they used that number for the rear and something totaly different for the front makes no sence to me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I finally called another dealer, who, though further away, is pretty reliable, and guess what? He ordered the tire - no problem! Just goes to prove something, if at first you don't succeed.....

Cheers,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I ordered a front Pirelli tire from a local dealer after the new number was posted. A week later he told me it was no longer available, even with the new number. Today, a friend of mine tried to get one from his dealer with the new number - not available????

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I just got back from ordering a new set of Pirellis through my dealer. They do get their Pirellis through Parts Unlimited. The rear GTS24-05 was no problem. But when he called PU regarding the front GTS23-05, he was told it was "unavailable". We then looked at his computer screen and saw a tire that PU lists as part # 0340-0025. The description is "GTS23 120/70HR15", which is the correct GTS23 front tire for the AN650. We ordered one of those - they have them. So PU is still screwed up in their cataloging of the front tire, just as Magyver found earlier.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Glad I saw this thread.

I went to my dealer today to ask about Pirelli tires, and was told that rears are available, but that fronts aren't because they failed the DOT certification and were recalled.

Based on the posts above, I bet that ones under the old part number were recalled, and new ones are out there if you use the new number.

I'll be checking around, because I don't want Bridgestones again (too expensive).

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Rear tire

magyver said:
...why they used that number for the rear and something totaly different for the front makes no sence to me.
Because it's a different tire. Different size, different pattern, etc.

I don't know of any bikes that use the same tire front and rear, and even many sports cars have different sizes front and rear (and some even different left and right -- so they have four different part numbers).

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think it is a mess at Parts Unlimited rather than any DOT issue. Here is some more detail on what I saw.

The new printed catalog from from Parts Unlimited only listed the GTS23/24 -01 and -02 tires. These are bias ply tires for the AN400 and Silverwing. No tires in the size for the AN650 were listed there at all.

The online catalog screen I saw showed 3 lines:

GTS24-05 (the radial rear for the AN650). These were shown as available.

GTS23-25 (Yes, -25 rather than -05. No ordering status would come up. The counter guy called Parts Unlimited and was simply told that they were unavailable. No reason given.)

0340-0025 (the description of this item was "GTS23 120/70HR15" . The sizing is correct for the AN650 front radial tire).

I think someone at PU messed up by wrongly entering the Pirelli product code as -25, which is unavailable because it doesn't exist. In "fixing" the mistake, they entered the front tires under their own parts catalog number rather than the proper Pirelli number. Unfortunately their staff that answers the phone for dealer inquiries doesn't know enough to make the cross reference.

Fortunately I had a parts counter guy who was willing to hang in there and work with me, and Magyver's earlier post came to good use. I couldn't remember the number, but I did know the tire was mis-cataloged at PU. We found it, and PU sold a tire in spite of themselves.

As far as the dealers statement that a DOT issue was involved, I'm not making any accusation. But sometimes when a dealer's lips are moving you are hearing BS (um... that means Bad Stuff of course :roll: ). My personal guess is that the tire I get will be exactly the same as the GTS23-05 that I am currently riding on.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...As far as the dealers statement that a DOT issue was involved, I'm not making any accusation. But sometimes when a dealer's lips are moving you are hearing BS (um... that means Bad Stuff of course :roll: )....
I do recall hearing -- and I think it was here at BUSA some months ago -- that the Pirellis were recalled because they were mis-marked, or something like that. So it wasn't just at my dealer. It could be a passing on of rumours and not fact, though.

I'm just glad to know that there are options available to the Bridgestones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts