Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paul, thanks for the attempt to answer my side-question in the air-filter thread.

Ok, I asked this question in another thread about Air Filters, which lead to a search of the Ron Ayers website, which led me to look for Pirelli tires.

The question for this thread was the question to the other thread on air filters since I was perusing the Ron Ayers site for oil and air filters. I just thought I would stop by their tire section to see what was around. I saw that there were various styles of pirellis.

I know that the Pirellis that we are interested in for the 650's have the model numbers GTS23/24, but what does that mean for style type? I saw numerous style types and most there were in the 17 inch size.

So, what style does the GTS23/24 refer to? Can I get any other styles in the 650's sizing? I was maybe hoping for a tire that could handle better in wetter weather - more traction.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
captainfish said:
So, what style does the GTS23/24 refer to? Can I get any other styles in the 650's sizing?
The GTS23/24 are Pirelli "High performance" tires. I believe part of that is the top speed rating on the tires. The Evo line is not made large enough for the 650 and I don't think the ST66 will fit either. For style information see :

GTS23/24 on Pirelli Motorcycle

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
GTS23/24 are the Pirelli models that fit the Burgman 650. There are not several different options within the Pirelli line. They did make a GTS23/24 without the -05 suffix last year that were bias ply, the -05 designates radials. I'm not sure if they still make the bias ply version, but although they would fit I would stick with the radials. The cost difference was minor (about $3 per tire). The larger diameter tires you saw are for motorcycles. Pirelli has been making motorcycle tires for years. They were known for high stick and not very long tire life (soft compound). I think that has changed somewhat. They recently merged with a German tire manufacturer. The Burgman 650 tires are made in Germany.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill,
I guess I wasn't seeing the correct information on Ron Ayers.

With that link you provided, the GTS23/24 IS the style name, not just the part number. According to the link there are 3 possible alternatives for scooters? The GTS23/24, STS66 and EVO. But like you said, it appears that only the style GTS23/24 are sized for what the Burgman650 needs.

You were right, I was looking at the M/C tires.... they were called Scorpions, MT66, Diablo, Dragon...... thus my confusion.

The scooter tires fall into 3 categories with Pirellis...
High Performance
Standard
and, Moped.

The Pirelli Model GTS23/24 Pirelli tires fall under the High Performance Scooter tires. Though their website does not have the 650 Burgman under their Application listing. They don't even show a 160/60 version for their GTS24 tire on their Scooter Guide.

Are there other producers of tires suitable for the Burgman 650? I know about Bridgestone due to discussions in this forum and the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I just ordered a new set of Pirellis from Ron Ayers and it cost me $120.01 delivered.
Not too bad, now just have to talk my dealer into a installation deal! :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dero from Replacement Tires listing said:
Hi,

This might interest, another tyre manufacturer making a tyre for the Burgman 650

Michelin Pilot Sport SC

From past experience a Michelin Pilot Sport I would think to be a sporty tyre with good grip but not long wearing.
Well, there is one. Michelin produces the Pilot Sport Radial. Would be interesting to see some price comparisons. I will putter around and see what I can find.

·
Registered
553 Posts
radials

pauljo said:
05 suffix last year that were bias ply, the -05 designates radials. I'm not sure if they still make the bias ply version, but although they would fit I would stick with the radials. The Burgman 650 tires are made in Germany.
This probably should be in the 400 section but since the thing about radials has been mentioned are there any tires made for the 400 that are radials or are we stuck with reg bias tires?

·
Registered
969 Posts
captainfish said:
I was maybe hoping for a tire that could handle better in wetter weather - more traction.
So are you having wet weather traction problems? I've ridden a lot in the rain, and though I certainly don't ride the same as in dry conditions, I've never had a hint of a slide.

Our tires have a very small, but mechanically efficient, contact patch. Unless a motorcycle/scooter tire is significantly worn, it's profile is such that very little, or no, tread is necessary, except in 'dirty' (thin coating of sand/gravel/corn/etc.) conditions. More often than not, siping, or tread blocking, just means less rubber meets to road, and that the contact patch is more flexible (i.e. less responsive).

I know I'll get a lot of flack by saying this, but for most road riding situations, I'll take a slick. For proof, go ride the twisties with some talented hot shoes on a rainy day. You take a treaded tire and give them slicks. No way you're going to keep up.

Steve

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but, if you watch the professional racers, once the rains start, they switch to a treaded design in order to wick away the water.

If I were to live down south again, or anywhere other than in the rainy NW, I would be happy with what every you guys suggest. But, and this was just my figuring, that living up here in the boonies of the wet section might need a tire that could get me a bit more traction during wet times. Brian??

swstiles... from what I have been reading, it seems that only the bias is available for the 400's. I wonder if it is a matter of the wheel design.

I won't pass up the price and the experience expressed here on the Pirelli's, but I would like to see if there are alternatives, especially if there are ones that provide better traction during wet times.

As for Michelins and Dunlops... my late-night searching did not turn up much.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...living up here in the boonies of the wet section might need a tire that could get me a bit more traction during wet times. Brian??
I haven't done a lot of wet weather riding on my Burgman; when the Weather Channel says "Rain" I take my Ranger.

I did do one trip to Oregon and back during a rain storm, and had no problems on I-5. On city streets I just slow down more on corners to reduce sideways loading.

On my Elite 250, I rode in thye rain a lot because it was all I had at the time. (Some snow and ice riding, too. I didn't like that very much.)

The standard tires on both were adequate, as long as proper precautions were followed: increase following distance, avoid high-speed cornering, watch for oil slicks at intersections, and so forth.

Most important is to keep an eye on tread depth, and change tires when it gets low. The grooves do a great job of channeling water away from the contact patch to reduce hydroplaning.

Because of the shape of M/C tires (including scooters), hydroplaning isn't as much of a problem as for cars with their wide, flat tires, but it can still happen. But I think you'll find the current tire selection (which are actually high performance / all purpose designs) to be just fine in any conditions you'd really want to ride in anyway.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
casek said:
I just ordered a new set of Pirellis from Ron Ayers and it cost me $120.01 delivered.
Not too bad, now just have to talk my dealer into a installation deal! :D
I didn't see the Pirelli's on the Ron Ayers site so I called to ask where they could be found. Guy who answered said "If they aren't on the site, we don't have 'em". Couldn't convince him to look further. Also said he spoke with me yesterday but I hadn't called so, someone else is looking too.

Where did you find them on the site ? All I'm seeing is MC tires.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Doc,

Use the parts number search on the Ron Ayers site. You must use the part number, not a description. The part numbers are :

Pirelli 650 Front tire - GTS23-05
Pirelli 650 Rear tire - GTS24-05

I just checked and both do show up.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Thanks Bill. I was trying the parts search but using a slightly different number. What you gave me worked, tho' as I mentioned in another message, Ron Ayers is saying the tire isn't available. I'll have to have them check with Parts Unlimited tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I picked up a set of Pirelli tires for my 650 from a friend who ordered them for me from a local MC parts store. They are Pirelli “Diablo Scooter” tires. The label states:

New H-rated range of radial tyres, specially developed for maxi scooters,

*High-performance tread compound, using “cap & base” construction for warm-up, grip and braking efficiency
* Radial carcass and 0 degree steel belt construction for speed stability
* Diablo tread design for better wet handling and regular wear.

I got the tires to store for future use, so I will not be installing them soon and be able to report on how they work.

This may be a good sign since the Diablo is a main product line for Pirelli.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Roy,

Someone else had mentioned that those were coming. It is good to hear that they are now available. I have a fairly new set of the GTS23/24's on the scoot, and another new set in the garage - so it will be a long time before I get to try them!

I am wondering if they will discontinue the existing GTS line or keep both. It is quite possible that the performance, wear, and ride characteristics are different. They might market one as a touring tire & the other as a high performance tire - time will tell.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey Roy you wouldnt by chance have the new part number or any other info related to ordering this new Diablo series would you ?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
They have a Drag Specialities tags on them. The number on the front tire is 034-0036 and the rear 0340-0035. Interesting, those numbers are similar to the number we have for the front GTS tire that got numbered wrong from another distributor, which was 034-0025.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I just noticed that the front tire numbers I wrote should have been 0340 (like the rear number) not 034. Sorry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts