Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all - two years with TERRIFIC 2011 Burgman 650, had tires switched to Pirellis, then trailered it home. Now low speed corners feel dangerous, like I'm about to be thrown forward. Tire pressure okay, even thought I might have bent handlebars with tie downs, but dealer says no and tires okay. Having Bridgestones put on now...waiting for maiden voyage with new rubber. Trek to Moab Utah in 10 days. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Phil
PS: Handlebars now rub mirrors when mirrors are turned in...bleah.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Never experienced any thing weird handling wise with the Pirellis but they sure wear out fast. Here's a photo of the rear with 5,031 miles and the front wasn't much better. I'm sticking with the Bridgestones for now. I love Moab. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The Pirelli Diablo front tire has a different profile from the OEM Bridgestone TH01F front tire. The Bridgestone has a flatter profile and the Pirelli has a sharper more rounded profile. That makes the Pirelli tire seem to fall into a corner faster. Some people like that feel and others don't. Most that don't like it think it makes the bike feel twitchy and unstable.

The profile of the Bridgestone TH01F is unique. That profile was designed specifically to work with the front end setup of the 650. That is why many of us run other brands on the back of the 650 but stick to the TH01F on the front.

Most other brands have a more rounded profile like the Pirelli. That more rounded profile is used on other bikes that run the same size front tire like the T-Max. Bridgestone makes a more rounded tire for those bikes, it is the BT011. If you run it on the 650 it handles much like the Perilli does.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I've had Diablos on my 650 now for over two years and have no issues whatsoever with them. They corner fine, they ride fine....I honestly can't say anything bad about them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I will second that last comment .I have also done 2 track days and they have never let go. I have finally found a tyre that the sides wear out faster than the middle :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am running the Diablo front tire and a darkside rear. I like the combo. Two years and 10,000 miles. No need for new tires yet

·
Registered
426 Posts
^Interested in what darkside tyre you run on the rear of your K7 as I have a K7 as well, and might be interested in experimenting with the darkside. Also what pressure have you found works best?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll have to get back to you on that. I run 38 PSI. But keep in mind that I also installed progressive springs so that I no longer have any rub. The rub was not bad, I just knew it would eventually wear through. I highly recommend the CT and Progressive Shocks combo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This season, I've switched from the Metzlers to the Diablos. I tend to ride fairly aggressively, and have adjusted the settings quite a bit to find a good balance. Currently, shocks are set to 5; front inflation 38psi; rear inflation 44psi. The Metzlers always gave me that "hinge in the middle" flex in corners, but the Pirellis seem to be working well, and have great wet traction to boot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This season, I've switched from the Metzlers to the Diablos. I tend to ride fairly aggressively, and have adjusted the settings quite a bit to find a good balance. Currently, shocks are set to 5; front inflation 38psi; rear inflation 44psi. The Metzlers always gave me that "hinge in the middle" flex in corners, but the Pirellis seem to be working well, and have great wet traction to boot.
It is interesting, but as I know both Pirelli and Metzeler are the same, produced on the same factory. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'll have to get back to you on that. I run 38 PSI. But keep in mind that I also installed progressive springs so that I no longer have any rub. The rub was not bad, I just knew it would eventually wear through. I highly recommend the CT and Progressive Shocks combo.
OK, thanks for the info... the springs here (mainland China) might be difficult to find. Specific rear spring model info would be useful if you are able to share.

·
Registered
34 Posts
^Interested in what darkside tyre you run on the rear of your K7 as I have a K7 as well, and might be interested in experimenting with the darkside. Also what pressure have you found works best?
I am running a /Federal Super Steel 657 in a 165/65 R14 size. At about 38 PSI. Also have progressive shocks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is really helpful! I went back to OEM, but a second mechanic found the real problem: I bent the handlebars with Canyon Dancer tie downs on trailer. :(
Expensive lesson: tie down to fork when hauling a Burgman. Found an old post with details, wish I'd read it first...
Thanks all and happy riding this summer!
Phil

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
This is really helpful! I went back to OEM, but a second mechanic found the real problem: I bent the handlebars with Canyon Dancer tie downs on trailer. :(
Expensive lesson: tie down to fork when hauling a Burgman. Found an old post with details, wish I'd read it first...
Thanks all and happy riding this summer!
Phil
I bent mine years ago (adding insult to injury since I had just broken my front rim on a pot hole 250 miles from home) but didn't have a Canyon Dancer, ever since I use the short straps on the triple tree. Yah it sucks I replaced the bars and covers that got stressed. Hopefully its all sorted now.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Well, the comment I made a MONTH ago has come back to haunt me. I was doing my preflight today prior to my 25 mile ride to work in Columbus, and sure enough, I too have shiny steel belts visible in the center of my rear Diablo. I checked and this tire has was put on in '11, and the bike had just over 20,000 miles. It now has just over 26,000 miles on it.

So yea, I'm feeling the pain and I am going back to the Bridgestone TH01-M Battlax for sure now. At least on those, I got 10K miles.

Interestingly, YESTERDAY when I preflighted before my ride into work, the rear tire looked good and solid. SO, sometime on my 25+25 ride yesterday, or this morning when I ran a few miles into Lancaster and did some garage/yard sales, the steel belt started peeking out.

I've had Diablos on my 650 now for over two years and have no issues whatsoever with them. They corner fine, they ride fine....I honestly can't say anything bad about them.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi, all - two years with TERRIFIC 2011 Burgman 650, had tires switched to Pirellis, then trailered it home. Now low speed corners feel dangerous, like I'm about to be thrown forward. Tire pressure okay, even thought I might have bent handlebars with tie downs, but dealer says no and tires okay. Having Bridgestones put on now...waiting for maiden voyage with new rubber. Trek to Moab Utah in 10 days. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Phil
PS: Handlebars now rub mirrors when mirrors are turned in...bleah.
You posted this a month ago. Have you learned to live with the new tire or did you change it out? I've experienced the same thing with a 1990 Harley Fat Boy. I went to a longer lasting front tire when the original needed replaced - probably about 11,000 miles or so. When I changed back to the OEM Dunlap in 15k or so I had the same thing happen as you did. Durned thing wanted to throw itself into a corner. It took a few miles and a couple of days to sort it out but after that I was fine - and in fact liked the OEM's better than that replacement the dealer recommended. Some times you just need to get out there and get used to the feel.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, the comment I made a MONTH ago has come back to haunt me. I was doing my preflight today prior to my 25 mile ride to work in Columbus, and sure enough, I too have shiny steel belts visible in the center of my rear Diablo. I checked and this tire has was put on in '11, and the bike had just over 20,000 miles. It now has just over 26,000 miles on it.

So yea, I'm feeling the pain and I am going back to the Bridgestone TH01-M Battlax for sure now. At least on those, I got 10K miles.

Interestingly, YESTERDAY when I preflighted before my ride into work, the rear tire looked good and solid. SO, sometime on my 25+25 ride yesterday, or this morning when I ran a few miles into Lancaster and did some garage/yard sales, the steel belt started peeking out.
I think tires are like a roll of toilet paper - the closer to the end the faster it goes. I experienced the same thing with my last Harley. I was heading out for an appointment to get new front and back tires. The rear tire was not legal but had a bit of tread showing and I could catch my fingernail on the edges. 120 miles later at the dealer I looked at the back tire and there was no tread showing except on the sides - no steel but no tread. I was amazed at how fast that last bit of tire wore down. The mechanic that put the new tires on said there was about 10 miles left on that tire. I believe it.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Yup looks just like mine only mine had 5,031 miles on it. I don't recall back in the early days the Diablo's being so bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts