Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the cover plate to go on under my givi top case. What size drill is used to make the holes? I'm sure this question has been answered many times but I couldn't find it when I searched.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mine was spec'd. at 18.5mm. since I don't have metric drill bits I used 3/4" which is just a little larger. The holes just need to be slightly larger than the spacers to allow for positioning errors. If you have a step drill it will generally make a nicer hole in thin plastic, you just have to watch carefully to make sure you don't go too far. They are also good for enlarging existing holes.

·
Super Moderator
5,416 Posts
tried to cover my pillion once, she got kinda irritable, my eye got kinda blacked

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
@KellyCarall , Last Givi case I installed (on my 2005) the instructions recommended to drill a smaller hole than needed to ensure you are drilling in the right place. There should be cross marks on the underside of the cover panel to show where to drill but I would still make smaller holes just to ensure it all lines up. Then you should be able to enlarge those using a drill bit sized to be just barely bigger than the spacers. I usually hold up the drill bit next to the spacer or bolt I need to drill for. Don't know if your Givi case mounting base kit came with them but mine came with foam rubber stick on washers to cover the slack in the holes around the spacers in case there is any. If you didn't get those you can still get something similar at Lowe's or Home Depot that will fit around the spacers and also cover any hole space that shows around them.

·
Registered
870 Posts
@KellyCarall , Last Givi case I installed (on my 2005) the instructions recommended to drill a smaller hole than needed to ensure you are drilling in the right place. ...
Good advice, but one caution...assuming you're using a spade or forstner type bit, the starter hole should be very small, like less than 1/8", so your larger bit doesn't wobble around as it's feeding in...could make a mess of an expensive part. Wouldn't be an issue with a step drill.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would not use a spade or forstner type bit on a plastic panel. Those work better with thicker stock. I have used a file/rasp bit in my drill to shape a hole or fine tune the size. Or at that point maybe a Dremel would be better.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would not use a spade or forstner type bit on a plastic panel...
Me either, but I suspect that's what many DIYers would use. I think a Dremel could get out of hand pretty quickly. A hole saw might work ok, but the best thing I've come up with is the step drill - makes a nice clean hole. Not cheap but quite useful.

·
Super Moderator
2,182 Posts
Pretty much what they said.
There are marks where to drill on the bottom.
Drill a pilot hole. I did 1/16th, then 1/8th, & maybe one more before the final hole as I recall (been a while).
Tape your top to keep the paint from peeling or chipping too badly.
Use a 3/4 step bit for the final hole. I tried 11/16's and it was a wee bit tight, so I went to 3/4 & it was fine. I used a tetch of RTV black I had sitting around to seal the edges a bit around the rack, but you probably don't have to, or could really use any kinda caulk.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Anybody that works on their bikes long enough and adding farkles, cases, etc really should go out and invest in a Step-bit for their drill.

I mean anybody that can't invest $20 bucks into making things both easier, and much cleaner for themselves, well what can I say?

·
Super Moderator
5,416 Posts
whatever happened to using a bit gage and some tape on the drill bit? Sneeze one time with a step bit and it won't be your best tool any longer, plus with tape on a bit depth can be variable and controlled and many more diameters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts