Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics of worn out Variator Pulley - 2007 Burg 400.
I opened up case, found these wear patterns....[attachment=2:2vxx3yme]IMG_9805.jpg[/attachment:2vxx3yme]Instead of replacing it (As I now believe I Should have), I sanded it and used it again.....[attachment=0:2vxx3yme]IMG_9834 Pulley wear as of 3 months ago.jpg[/attachment:2vxx3yme]Later for unknown reasons, the RAMP PLATE sheared into 2 parts (as seen in pic below)
and spun around, damaging the Crankshaft oil seal and raceway in the process....
[One possible cause for it Shearing may be a missing bushing in the variator
that makes it ride smoothly back and forth on the Cylindrical Sleeve].[attachment=1:2vxx3yme]IMG_9840_Pulley wear as of 3 months ago.jpg[/attachment:2vxx3yme]The next 3 pictures

PLEASE WAIT A HALF HOUR I MUST RESIZE THEM----------can someone recommend how they reduce file sz to under 250k???? i am great with computers but pls tell me what program etc u use/// thx)) (show the Crankshaft oil seal, Before Damage, After Damage (Note Oil everywhere), and then After repaired by me. Some Info is given below (Very Wordy) about how I did the repair, so only read that if you need to do a similar repair yourself. Cheers, -Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HERE IS THE ANSWER FOR ALL PEOPLE ON HOW TO RESIZE AND MANIPULATE JPEG (and many other) IMAGES / FREE PROGRAM and NO PROBLEMS WITH IT THAT I HAVE EVER HAD.
I solved the problem of JPEG file size reduction to under 250K: I must mention IRFANVIEW, a great free program for manipulating JPEGs and other images (i need to get em under 250k). I have used this program ten years ago, it's free and reliable, I HIGHLY recommend it. When installing IRFANVIEW I set it to be the default program when opening JPEG file types...you may also want it to open bitmaps (.bmp) ALSO install all the plugins as I did, or else at LEAST just the RIOT plugin, then check the box under save as....and type in "250" to limit file sizes to 250K. Then it is simple....So you will double click an image file, It will open in IRFANVIEW, do Ctrl-S (for "save as"),now here you can be real slick and paste a few words into the end of the filename, but before the ".jpg" ending, such as "limited to 250k", and save it in the same location as the original picture file.
Did I mention that I am a computer nerd also?
My specialties are Autocad drawings (computer drafting) for architects, inventors and engineers and Electronic Engineering.
Jeff Wiecks 707-694-8002 ([email protected]) Thank You !!!
******************************************************************************************************
CONTINUATION:
The next 5 pictures .......show the Crankshaft oil seal, (THEY ARE IN REVERSE ORDER) Before Damage (1 pic), After Damage (2 pics - Note Oil everywhere), and then After repaired by me (2 pics). Some Info is given below (Very Wordy) about how I did the repair, so only read that if you need to do a similar repair yourself. Cheers, -Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
IRFANVIEW is good and it's also F-R-E-E!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Again, I'll try to explain my adventure...
I had damage to the "raceway" where the oil seal gets tapped in. Caused by when the ramp plate sheared, spun around, and gouged it out somewhat....
So doing a normal "oil seal replacement" was impossible. I extracted/destroyed old seal using drill and screw method.
After alot of thinking and struggle, I roughed up the surface, cleaned with acetone, and GLUED a new oil seal perfectly in place using a 5-minute cure type of JB WELD equivalent (by loctite from wal mart - I figured if i use the quick cheap version, it might be easier to remove if i had to re-do it)
I actually have some amazing Before, After, and After Repaired photos, shown above.
This REPAIR worked fine....I was so Happy. You see, JB weld and its equivalents are resistant to oil and such.
But, In hind sight, I was Stupid for not putting new variator pulley parts in. It rode for 3-4 months, then the belt Blew up/self destructed. Bike was stranded on side of Freeway right before 4th of july. I actually hid the bike "inside" a redwood tree for 2-3 days and later rescued it, on the 4th, using my son's Dodge RAM 1500 pickup and a couple of friends. it now sits in my driveway, and needs new variator ("front pulley") and new belt.

I figure that's about 300 - 350 bux worth of parts, so I am now driving a car to work and contemplating. If I was to upgrade the variator, now's the time, but I think that's more expensive (?) so I think I'll shop around and get the stock parts.

In hind sight, I caused the belt to explode because I kept WORN variator pulley parts in there, which concentrated the stress onto certain layers of the belt. Don't you agree with my theory?
***********************************************************************************************************
Hello, I must mention:
I am trying to buy New or in great Used shape, a new variator assembly and also the cylindrical sleeve on which it slides, and new belt.....I also would like new bushings in it....
I will probably end up buying all new parts. (If you wonder what happened, I was sorta stupid and kept riding with a new belt but old badly worn front pulley/variator parts, and after 3 months my belt couldn't take the stresses and it exploded)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I remember the pics now. Yeah, you did it to yourself. You have a choice at this time...to laugh about it :D ...or cry. :cry: Might as well laugh about it what happened and go get new parts.

When we talked, I thought you were talking about normal wear on the variator, not this kind of damage. The wear to the belt is on the sides where it rubbed against these roughed up parts. It would be like putting the CVT belt up against a sander. As you found out, it won't last.

Chris

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
BTW, to post pics, just make sure to resize them to 1024x768 or smaller. That will take care of the size issue too without having to look at the file size.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Petaluma-Jeff said:
Pics of worn out Variator Pulley - 2007 Burg 400.
I opened up case, found these wear patterns...
The wear does not look bad, I think it was sanding that did the damage.

I had a similar experience two years ago. I renewed the belt and a few weeks later it shredded into pieces stranding me on the motorway. Initially I suspected that the belt failure was caused by groves on the pulley faces, worn much deeper than the specs allow. The dealer was keen to sell me a new set pulleys but it was an expensive solution. Under further investigation I noticed I scratched the pulley face when removing it. Probably the scratches were filing the belt to total destruction. I sanded the scratches with very fine emery cloth and polished the surface with a piece of an old leather belt until it was shiny and smooth. No problems since then.

I think you can save the pulley by polishing the faces. The undulating concentric wear pattern made by the belt is not a problem, but the surface has to be smooth and shiny. Any sharp scratch, even tiny, will bite the belt. Also, a new belt will set higher, so the previously unworn edge of the face has to be smooth too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have no experience with near 50,000 mile Burgman 400---but I was thinking of keeping mine that long. One of my purchased new Helix I traded at 50,000---pulleys were groved but were not eating belts-----I talked to one guy who had "skimmed" the groves out and it worked. Problem is this stuff isn't cheap, dealers not helpful or knowledgeable-----I would like to see new scooters with 50-75,000 mile belt change intervals, etc. Otherwise expensense of owning is more than owning small car---Honda Fit for example. My part issue is some dealer bump retail price up to really high rates---actually driving customers away to internet or after market. I remain doing my own work.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I bought a new variator for my 2007 400 on the advice of Matt from ScooterTrap who said they would be worn out by about 25,000-30,000 miles. I put it in sometime around then and did not notice any difference in the rideability of the bike, so I took the new parts out after a few hundred miles and put the old ones back in. I kept it that way till I sold it with just shy of 49,000 miles.

The small ridges over time, smoothed themselves out. The same friction that caused the grooves, smoothed them out as the belt ran back and forth over the ridges.

Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I spent 600 dollars on parts.... they'll ship on the 26th....powersportsplus.com............5 percent discount with a special promo code.......part of that 600 bucks is a new set of nylon variator / ramp plate guides (4 per assy, under 20 bucks for a set of 4) from buggy parts northwest (made by dr pulley). My old guides were completely shattered.

This time I am getting all new pulley faces, front and rear, and a new belt. I can reuse my DR pulley slider weights. I believe they are the 18 gram version.
This time I am doing it right, I hope it will last a long time. I will have to learn (online videos - prob. by Mitch Bergsma) how to disassemble and reassemble the rear pulley / clutch macro - assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts