Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to those that led me in the right direction on cases. The V47 arrived today and I am quite pleased. It fits the Suzuki branded top plate perfectly. I like the angular design of the reflectors as it mimics the design of the 2013 650. The case seems to be very sturdy and the lid clicks shut just like an automotive trunk. The case is very solid on the plate and I cannot wiggle it even a little. I supose that will depend on the condition of the bumpers in the future. The key cannot be removed in the unlock position but, I guess that's for my own good. Perhaps if I get bored some day, I will order up some matching RB5 paint from Colorite and give my painting skills a test.

Ed

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Nice looking case and it looks very good on the scoot. Thanks for the pictures.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Looks good and it is good to hear your positive report on trunk fitting tightly on the plate. It looks like the trunk fits closer to the plastic rear cover with the plate instead of the E529 mount. I was thinking about the plate vs the E529 today while riding. I would like to have the trunk as close to the bike as possible, but with the E529 I have a gap between the top of the bike and the bottom of the trunk. The gap gives me a wider view behind the bike. Another point I am looking at, I plan on removing the trunk when I am not on longer trips. The plate sure looks nicer than the E529 without the trunk.

In the pics, it looks like the plate (and the trunk) has slight tilt to the rear. Is that the case or is it just the pics?

Does the plate flex any when the trunk is pushed down or weighted in the rear?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you install the Suzuki mounting plate yourself or someone else? If yourself how difficult was it?

I've been waiting on Givi to get theirs on the market so I can ride over and let them install it for me. Me and drills sometimes don't see eye to eye.

Anyway, looks great!

·
Registered
590 Posts

In the pics, it looks like the plate (and the trunk) has slight tilt to the rear. Is that the case or is it just the pics?
Interesting observation as I came across a pic. of a 2013 with Bestem 929 top case & Bestem mounting kit that appears to be this way - tho' could be an optical illusion as bike is on side stand.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you install the Suzuki mounting plate yourself or someone else? If yourself how difficult was it?

I've been waiting on Givi to get theirs on the market so I can ride over and let them install it for me. Me and drills sometimes don't see eye to eye.

Anyway, looks great!
Installed it myself. Quite easy. A 20mm drill bit was impossible to find so, I used a "Uni-Bit" and ran it down to 3/4ths inch which is a shade over 19mm, then if you're off a little (I was) you will have some wiggle room to enlarge the hole in the direction you need as the instructions call for a 20mm hole. The new plastic cover has dimples on the underside indicating where to drill. The holes are "sealed" with a large rubber grommet so, you would have to mess up pretty bad to not be able to cover your mistake.

Ed

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Does the plate flex any when the trunk is pushed down or weighted in the rear?
The plate will not flex but the whole tail section seems to have a small amount of movement when really pressed. I don't think it will be any different in the flex department than any other top box be it Harley, Honda or ?
As far as the tilt, the plate has a quarter bubble forward lean while the bike is sitting straight up on it's wheels, with no rider. In person it has no discernable tilt at all.

Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was looking into getting this top box for my 2013 Burgman 650 and was going to get the Givi SR3104 mounting plate as specified on their website but cant seem to find one in the UK.:(

You are saying I can buy Suzuki’s own mounting plate and use that with the Givi Monokey system.:p

The 20mm hole that has to be drilled in the plastic to fit the plate. Would this be covered by the original Burgman back rest when the plate is removed. I don’t wish to keep the top box and plate on all year round only when we go touring so would like to re-fit the original backrest for daily use.

Cheers
Raven

Some pics of my Burgman can be seen here
http://gallery.chyangwel.com/#!album-6-0

Thanks Again
Raven

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Raven,
Yes, the Givi Monokey mounting system that they use for the V47 model fits the Suzuki branded top plate perfectly. It is my assumption that the Monokey mounting system is the same within the Monokey line. Looking at the new Givi mounting plates, it appears they have redesigned the front "mushroom" posts into what appears to be a cast-in-place hook. They serve the same function and apparently are backward compatible. My guess as to why Givi switched is simply cost savings. It required time to install the mushroom bolts...now they come off the die cast ready to roll! I know that the Monolock mounts are in fact different.
The cover that has the holes drilled into it would be removed to fit the factory backrest and with the backrest installed, everything would be back to factory original looks.

Ed

Edit: BTW Great photographs!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You said in another post where you ordered from. Can you post again and exactly what parts you had to order.

Your install looks much cleaner compared to the Givi mount pictures I have seen thus far. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Raven,
Yes, the Givi Monokey mounting system that they use for the V47 model fits the Suzuki branded top plate perfectly. It is my assumption that the Monokey mounting system is the same within the Monokey line. Looking at the new Givi mounting plates, it appears they have redesigned the front "mushroom" posts into what appears to be a cast-in-place hook. They serve the same function and apparently are backward compatible. My guess as to why Givi switched is simply cost savings. It required time to install the mushroom bolts...now they come off the die cast ready to roll! I know that the Monolock mounts are in fact different.
The cover that has the holes drilled into it would be removed to fit the factory backrest and with the backrest installed, everything would be back to factory original looks.

Ed

Edit: BTW Great photographs!
Thanks for the info I can order the plate from my local Suzuki Dealer

Raven

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Raven, do not forget to order the install kit for the mounting plate and the rear cover plastic.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
looks pretty neat, good job.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry to burst everyone bubble, but the Givi V47 is one great looking case, but I just don't like the case mounted where the rear sets down and not level with the bike. For me the Burgman 650 looks so good without any cases on the bike, that's just me.

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John, don't fret. The rearward angle you perceive is merely an optical illusion. I can assure you the case DOES NOT TILT BACK. The upward sweep of the tail section gives you that impression. As I showed earlier in the thread, the plate actually tilts forward a couple degrees with the scoot sitting on level ground and on it's wheels.
Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you get the backrest with it? Who did you order it from? Second Gear? Does your passenger like the feel of the box and backrest (if you have a passenger).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts