1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
428 Posts
That thing is a monster. A real killer. Seems like you should need a commercial endorsement on your licenese to drive that sumbitch.

Peace.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the website it shouldn't. But they also mention that you have to check with your individual state DMV to be sure.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:sign5:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Can someone explain this love affair with pick ups, they are starting to appear here now also. :cry:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Norm, its an Amurican thang, you know, like, real men don't ride lil ole girlie scooters either! :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Ted

Yes I know but why a pickup specifically, as I understand it there are more PUs registered every year than any other vehicle type - is the PU the mechanical horse? Do they use the big load area as intended or is it lifestyle vehicle. Here in UK the 4X4 Range Rover and the like tends to get used to take the kids to school and rarely climbs anything higher than a kerb.

I must admit they look pretty useful for hauling gravel/cement and the like - but then I do that twice a year at so just pay for delivery..

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Norm, can't really answer...certainly with any authority. Prob need a shrink to provide an answer. Many of the big trucks are driven by youngish guys who do all sorts of mods...raising the body way up in the air, or conversly, lowering it way down with fancy body paint. Seems some of the big raised 4 wheelers are occasionally used off the road for recreation. Lowered fancy ones driven around town to impress the girls.

But aside from this, and those trucks used mainly for utility purposes, there are many, many, drivers of large full size late model trucks simply because they like them. And they don't seem to mind paying the price for gas, even tho a couple of people I know are working for minimun wages.

I have a Ford Ranger and its for utility use as I live in the country and have to haul my own trash to the dump, plus tree trimming around the place, and such. Also handy to loan to my friends when they need one.
I tried it for awhile as my main vehicle (wife has a car), but after a year or so felt the need for more comfort and better gas milage so I got a Corolla.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I had one for 8 years and I just replaced with a minivan 2 yrs ago. I bought mine because I needed something to pull our camping trailer and I needed the back to load my Go Kart in on race days. Not to mention how useful it was when doing chores or picking up larger scale items from the stores. I don't require its use for karting anymore so I sold it. I took mine offroad quite abit desite the fact that it was only 2 wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I have always had a pick up since i was 16, I need it for my business-fishing. Every fisherman, farmer, construction worker, etc around here has a pickup. When i retire from fishing my pick up goes too, dont need it. I dont drive it when Im not fishing, just sets in drivway, drive my Burgman or stay home when wife is at work with car. :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had a pickup truck (either company provided or personal) for 20 years until a couple of years ago when I traded it in on a new car. Within a couple of months I missed having it for hauling larger items. I bought a Ford Ranger as a 'spare' vehicle about a year ago and will probably own a truck from now on. I don't have a need for a 4+ seats and the Ranger gets as good of gas milage as most of the cars I've owned. It serves my personal needs well.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill , you had more smarts than me....I got the Ranger with a 4.3 (or somesuch) and the best it gets is 18-19 mpg. Should have got the 4 cyl or 3.0, but gas then was about $1 or less. But then my plane uses nearly 4 gal per hour...premium.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ted clement said:
But then my plane uses nearly 4 gal per hour...premium.
Did you put the Rotax 582DCDI in your Xair, or some other engine? A few months left of school to get my A&P mechanics license (Soon to be called Aviation Maintenance Technician if the powers to be gets its way!), so of course I wonder about such odd things.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ted,

The truck I bought just happened to have the small 4 banger in it. I bought it from a friend at a steal! $800 for a 94 that looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Oil was changed ever 5k. Only problem is the tires were out of round from setting so long.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thanks Ted and the guys for being so patient with me and giving me the inside on 'Pick ups', but I am learning lots on this site - some about Burgers too! :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
here in florida with all the hurricanes and the need for plywood and generators....can u imagine 12 sheets of plywood on the roof and a big generator in the back seat of a corolla? :lol: the most practical cage on the road is the pickup

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Norm,
I live in a somewhat rural area. People around here just like to haul stuff, rummage sales, going to the dump or recycling, camping, hauling dirt bikes and ATVs, shopping for building supplies, etc. Another reason is we sit higher in a Pick Up, and can see better. 30+ years ago, when I was on the road more for work, I could usually out race sports cars during rush houre traffic just because I could see ahead farther, where they couldn't.
I guess you just don't know when a good deal comes up, you can always haul it home, or to the dump.
It's also easier to get in and out of.

·
Registered
311 Posts
OK, so I live in the rural area off a state highway, with a 1200 feet driveway. We can have some heavy, wet snow around St. Louis and I don't like the thought of shoveling it. Our two pickups, both with positraction--neither has four wheel drive---get in and out with little trouble. For those real deep drifts we start up our urban assault vehicle: 779 cubic inch, in line six cylinder, FWD firetruck. Our members in the northern snowbelt recognize the name, they build off road utility, logging, snowblade, mining, and firetrucks under the name Seagrave. It's all wheel drive all the time and yup it sucks gas even though it's got overdrive. I make my living on ladders, so for us, it's pickup trucks and not cars. The Burgman helps afford gas for the others.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts