Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A lot of great information posted here. I found it after I ordered the Burgman, but it's just reconfirmed my decision.

I've been riding a Honda helix - 18,000+ miles in about 18 months - love it, but wanted more power for the 25 mile commute - especially on LA freeways.

I owned a BMW 750 for one day, but the riding position made my hands go numb. I needed a bike where I could sit up and just cruise. The helix was a good start (I'm keeping it), and the Burgman looks like the tops.

Leftkost
'05 AN650 Blue (in 2 days)
'94 CN250 (Helix) black

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
leftkost said:
...wanted more power for the 25 mile commute - especially on LA freeways.
For braving those highways, you, sir, are to be saluted!!! :salute:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greetings, leftkost. Welcome to the ICOBO. :hello2:

You're lucky to live in an area with such plentiful riding weather. We're finally getting some up here this week.

I'm going to be down your way in this summer (originally planned for July, but now it may be September). Maybe I'll see you on the road. 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian said:
Greetings, leftkost. Welcome to the ICOBO. :hello2:

I'm going to be down your way in this summer (originally planned for July, but now it may be September). Maybe I'll see you on the road. 8)
Look for me on the 405 and 105 near LAX.

Stay warm and dry.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. I hope you don't have problems sleeping thinking about that wonderful machine that you will get in 2 days :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats!

I am goint to make an offer on a blue 05 650 tomorrow - do you mind if I ask what was the out the door price on your burg? :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OTD price was $7794. I added an extended warranty - 4 years above Suzuki warranty for $395 which was additional.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow from Helix to Burgman 650 what a huge difference. I almost traded my 400 in for a 650 but I didn't like the complicated left pod. And the wind screen was not near as good as the 400. I left the dealer wanting both but could only afford one. I ultimately decided on the 400 because of the above mentioned items and 400 gets better milage is able to do 90mph so is powerful enough and it is cheaper to maintain, or at least I thougt it was. I'm beginning to wonder. I'm reading things about clutches dying at 12000 miles I'm at 6800 miles and yesterday the front brake began produceing a grinding noise. If Fast is what you want the 650 is amazeing especialy at rev limiter manual gear ups which the dealer encouraged me to do WOW!... one thing to be looking for in the 650 is a harmless clatter noise at idle that goes away as soon as you touch the gas. I have read that this noise is completly harmless. I beleive it is the first gear in the line of gears that produce the final drive. Contrary to what the dealer might tell you this is fixable with a kit.
One other thing I bought a Laminar Lip for my 400 and like it very much it may be a cheaper alternative to your buying a replacement shield.
Thanks;
Andrew

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Andrew. Glad to have you join us.

ATGJDR said:
Contrary to what the dealer might tell you this is fixable with a kit.
It's also been reported that the dieseling noise will return (somewhat subdued) after the fix.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Andrew. Glad to have you join us.

ATGJDR said:
Contrary to what the dealer might tell you this is fixable with a kit.
It's also been reported that the dieseling noise will return (somewhat subdued) after the fix.
Actually, mine isn't all that subdued. I've put about 10000 miles on it since the "fix". I think the noise is quite loud, and has slowly gone back to it's original state as I've put mileage on. In my opinion, the "fix" is ineffective. But it is just an imperfection that has to be accepted with an otherwise fine bike. The drivetrain noise at idle is less irritating than having to frequently lube & clean the chain drive on my recent V-Strom. As for the folks with new bikes that are quiet at idle, my guess is that they will also make the noise after they build up some riding miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
:cheers: Hey Thanks for the welcome I think this is a great site :drunken:
I just got back from our local dealer. The last time I was in there they had 1 used 650 2-3 400s & 4-5 new 650s All but one new 650 GONE! Id say they are catching on even here in Maine Pretty Well. The dealer is in Oxford maine Not exatly a high population area. The Person who bought the 650 Used bought a Laminar Lip and loves it. The tip was from me to the dealer and to him he is very happy. I also raved about this thing to a guy at work he bought it and loves it. (Highly recomend it) now that I know about the guy with the 650 that likes it.

I wondered about the noise returning after the fix sorry to here it isn't perminant.
The reason I was at the dealer was because my front brake had a grinding noise. Ends up that my front pads are worn completly off. $40.00 at the dealer cheaper than on line and probably the same once installed without shipping. I only got 6700 miles out of the front brake pads, but I play hard so it's probably my fault. :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts