1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
297 Posts
I looked at these before I bought my Burgman 650. They are pretty cool. Plenty of power and great stability. In fact, I Saw a post from a guy whose wife had lost a foot and could no longer ride with him on her bike. I recommended one of these because the front axle can be locked with a thumb switch, and you never have to go "feet down". When you accelerate pastm5 mph, the axle automatically unlocks. He was so impressed, he went out and bought one for her the next day.

I'm told that some police departments in Italy use the 500's.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I looked at these before I bought my Burgman. I was turned off when the sales man told me the drive belt needed to be changed every 3000 miles. I asked him why the company would use such a short life belt and was told they could put a lifetime belt on at 3000 miles. Huh? Of course, like many sales people, he probably knew very little about the product he was selling.

And now a couple years later, the dealership no longer exists. Wonder how far I'd have to drive to get service (and my 3000 mile drive belt change)?

·
Registered
61 Posts
zeco said:
I looked at these before I bought my Burgman. I was turned off when the sales man told me the drive belt needed to be changed every 3000 miles. I asked him why the company would use such a short life belt and was told they could put a lifetime belt on at 3000 miles. Huh? Of course, like many sales people, he probably knew very little about the product he was selling.

And now a couple years later, the dealership no longer exists. Wonder how far I'd have to drive to get service (and my 3000 mile drive belt change)?
Had a MP3 400 and the belt change was 6,000 miles. There was discussion with many going between 8 to 9,000 miles with a few I think going 10,000 miles before changing the belt.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I looked at them but there were a couple of problems for me. I didn't like the seating position & I am concerned because they are made in Italy. The Italians make some very good bikes but the reports of problems gettings parts & service warranties payments from the factories concern me. The last time these scooters were dicussed here there were reports that the rear tires wore out very quickly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 250's had a 12 inch wheel which from my understanding didn't last that long. I think it might have been 3,000 miles. On my 400 I changed my rear tire at 8,300 miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are a few MP3s in our area and I see them in use regularly and year round. I did not go for one because even the smaller one was a LOT of weight to push backwards if I was on any slope at all. Piaggio and Vespa seats sit high for some reason. I had some of the seat foam removed from the sides of my '08 250ie Vespa seat so I could reach the ground, and my feet were still not solid.
I am 5'4" (Mrs B) but if you visit Modernvespa.com you can see the tall seat is a common complaint. Otherwise they are solid and fun to ride.
On my Burg 400 I touch the ground solidly without changing the seat and have had no problem in any backup so far.

I think the MP3 has some extra maintenence with the parallelogram suspension. There is a great MP3 forum at ModernVespa and it has international input.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yeah, they are not new. It appears they are pretty well built and all, but the limited leg room turned me away. I do see them around town, just not very often. We do have a dealer in town, they sell Vespa's as well as Piagio, Polaris, and a few others.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I took a short test ride on one and - as for me - could not be bothered having to activate the mechanism that locks the wheel, so I got wanted I wanted, a trike kit.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I had an MP3 500 for 3 years and loved it.. Never had a problem either... Lots of power.. Traded it on my Burgman 650 because I wantred something new.. also the only dealer that I could go to was a about 45 miles away through a very bad traffic area.. larger dealer network for Suzuki.. I put about 6200 miles on ,mine and traded it in perfect shape.. and yes the belt replacement is 6,000 miles and you can go longer... Piaggio is the parent of Vespa for those that don't know.. so all Vespa dealers sell Piaggios too .. I just checked.. I suspect they sold mine.. Love my Burgie, but also loved my MP3.. and no hassle to lock the wheels.. it became as automatic as putting my foot down.. I still have to fight that urge when I stop..

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I rode a used one the other day and liked it. I am tentatively looking for something for the wife to ride...... :shock:
My issues were the seat is a bit high for her and the thought of replacing 3 tires every 6000-9000 miles and the price OEM parts are worse than Suzuki. :roll:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Rear tire has to be replaced at 6,000 miles.. Fronts are good for 12,000

1 - 14 of 14 Posts