Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather!

This was July 5, 2013, heading north from Red Lodge on MT 79. We only got light rain as we caught up with it. We stopped for lunch in Columbus and had sunshine for the rest of the day.

The day before, Fourth of July, was a different story. I don't have photos for reasons which will become obvious. We had ridden across Wyoming in 100° heat and reached Cody late afternoon to find light overcast. As we headed over Chief Joseph Pass, we had light rain, enough to put or rain gear on. And swelter. We took it off when we got to the bottom, happy for some air circulation.

When we got to End of the World, on Beartooth Pass, we had a brief consult about putting our gear on again. It was dark to the west but light to the east. Hmm, says I, we're going thataway! and we didn't put our gear on. Dumb.

For anyone who has never traveled Beartooth Pass, it is a narrow, twisty road, with no pullouts, that climbs 10,660 feet over a barren mountaintop to descend to Red Lodge, some 5000 feet below. It is a fabulous road, one that should be on every motorcyclist's bucket list, but only on a good day. Don't try it at night, either.

So, to return to our story, once we committed, we were committed. Almost as soon as we did, it started to rain. Then it started to rain very hard. The higher we climbed, the colder it got, the harder it rained. By the time we started down the other side, there was so much water splashing up from the road that we could hardly see fifty feet. My wife is totally freaked out, so she is leading, setting her own pace, while I ride sweep with my flashers on — not that there is anybody behind us. By the time we reach the rest stop halfway down the Montana side, we are soaked to the bone, through all our layers, so we stop, change clothing, and (belatedly) get our rain gear on. Some things you only learn the hard way.

We were lucky, though. I had phoned ahead that afternoon, before the storm, to reserve a room at the Red Lodge Inn (good place, nice people). When we got there, we heard all about it — the rain had flooded down the mountain, a foot of water along main street with sewer covers lifting up, the grounds where the fireworks were set up had flooded, rpads were washed out, one of the motels was flooded out so there wasn't a room to be had, quite a ruckus for the folks there. Note to myself: always make reservations on the Fourth of July!

Here is a shot of the summit, taken a week earlier:

Moral of the story — when in doubt, put your rain gear on!

Ride Safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice photo!

I wish I had stopped to take one like this when I was returning to the St Louis area on I-64 westbound a few years ago. The sky ahead suddenly turned black. Really black. Then lightning. There was an exit 2 miles ahead, so I pushed hard and did not stop. Lucky there was a gas station with a huge overhang for about 20 pumps. I pulled in on the side of the building away from the approaching storm just in time for 50-60MPH winds and hard horizontal rain for 20 minutes. Then the sun came out. Freaky how those midwest (and Rocky Mt) storms can pop up then disappear.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Missing Burgie in that pics much.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wyoming

I just like this photo, even if it isn't a Burgman.

This was earlier on July 4, the day of the storm, crossing Wyoming in hundred degree heat.

That day we had weather ranging from 105° to 40°.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any more photo's to share? Sounds like a great trip!
That was a great trip. We came south from Calgary to Bozeman, then all through Yellowstone, down to Jackson, back up over Beartooth a few times, then across Wyoming, over the Bighorns to Sheridan, Belle Fourche, then a few days in the Black Hills before we headed back. The photos above, from July 4th and 5th, were taken on our homeward leg.

This is Chief Joseph Pass, a few miles south of Beartooth, taken a week earlier. It's another awesome road, one of many we rode.

I have hundreds, even thousands of photos taken on ten different tours since 2009, when we got our Burgmans. Most of them aren't worth a second look, but some are pretty good, if I must say so myself. The hardest part is choosing one from so many.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is another one. This is the view west from the bridge at Sunlight Creek, about eight miles from the summit of Chief Joseph Pass.

As you see, the road climbs up to the left and continues along the north edge of Wyoming to Yellowstone. Another 23 miles up the road, you can turn right and head over Beartooth to Red Lodge. Watch for thunderstorms! It's a most wonderful area to explore on a bike.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
awesome landscapes!

·
Registered
273 Posts
A friend and I rode from Ohio to the Black Hills and Yellowstone a few years ago, but he wouldn't stop long enough to take many pictures! We were on a short time frame and rushed out and back. It was an unforgettable trip and Beartooth Pass was awesome. We had never heard of it and just happened to take that route. Some day I am going back and take my time!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Black Hills are fantastic. This is Spearfish Canyon, going north to Sundance. The rest of the riding was like this, with some surprises.

This was an Oh wow! moment:

This road and tunnel were laid out by Norbeck himself to showcase Mt.Rushmore. Very clever. Anyway, this blew me away.
I can still hear my wife: Get off the road!

So did this — Devil's Tower:

I want to go back, but I still want to go to the Chandelier Tree in California and ride around there for a few days. That would be another three week, 3500 mile trip.

Anyway, I will rummage through my photos and find some from other trips. We've been all through BC, Washington, Eastern Oregon, Idaho and Montana, and I'm particular about the roads we ride, so there are photos of some extreme roads I can post. Some of them are pretty good. Others, well, I need to go back and take a better one!

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time to update this

Time to update this.

This is a photo of Shell Canyon, in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. This was taken on the morning of July 4 2013, going west from Sheridan and then south on US14 towards Greybull. It was stinkin' hot by our standards. We stopped to eat in Greybull at 11AM and it was already 105°. This was the same day we froze atop Beartooth Pass. Quite the day.

This is a picture of my sweetie and me, standing in front of the Painted Hills in Oregon this summer. I include it simply to show who we are, partners of thirty years, each with our own 650s. Oregon has some amazing geology. The photo doesn't do justice to the brilliant colours of the rock, rust red and green and sand. This is part of the John Day Fossil Beds. If you go there, you will realize that everything in central Oregon is called John Day.

This was a magical moment from the same trip. From the Painted Hills, we came through Bend and then south along US97. We concluded that it was the most boring road we had ever been on, and after visiting Crater Lake, we headed through the woods, following forestry roads north between I-5 and US97. We came of this one-lane road, turned left and there, at teh end of the road, was Mt.Hood. Awesome.

This is one of my favourite photos.

Anyway, there is snow on the ground and ice on the roads here, so no more riding for now. I'm glad I have these photos.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beautiful scenery, Aivazovsky nervously smokes on the sidelines)
Two days ago, opened the season in Moscow, was 4 Celsius.
I read, you write a 100-degree heat, we have so much in the bath)
But measuring the different measures, Fahrenheit and Celsius)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts