Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAST MINUTE PLAN - My schedule opened up and the weather is looking great. A group of 4 of us (3 on Burgman 650s and 1 poor guy on a BMW GTR1600 :eek:) are having breakfast at McDonalds in Petersburg WV this Monday, Oct 27th at about 8:30 or 9am. We are going to make a loop - first south to Mozer/Kline and up Smoke Hole Road, then Spruce Knob and Horse Ridge Road at Riverton, then ??? Maybe south thru Franklin to Monterey and west to Bartow - then north to Canaan Valley Rt 72 or maybe over to Greenland Gap. We are then heading back north to Kingwood and Morgantown on various paved backroads.

If you want to join us, be at the Petersburg WV McDonalds Monday morning at around 8:30 or 9am. Sorry I don't have a smart phone and I'll be in an area with poor reception Sunday, so if our plans change, hope you are flexible. If we're not there by 9:30, head out and enjoy your day. It's supposed to be sunny and 70*. YEAH!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Small world or what!!!!!.....I'm in - currently holed up at one of the motels Fort something after a 700 km run down from home in Canada- would love to tag along.
I'm on the Wee tho my back says it prefers the Burgman ;)

I was considering basing out of here now I will for sure.
I did not see a McDs on the way in - guess I will find it
Sure is nice weather coming up.

Any suggestions for a Sunday ride - purely interested in easy going scenic as just getting used to new seat, boots, jacket and bike :rolleyes:

I am WAAAY over dressed for those temps but we will see how the Scott jacket breathes,
Email me direct at [email protected]

Cool timing guys:D

••

to give some insight .....Petersburg is a realllly small town ....2500 people....

The odds that a Canadian rider ends up in Petersburg WV in late Oct - of all the hundreds of possible destinations I could have picked.... and THEN hooks up with local Burgman riders who happen to also want a late season jaunt.....purely by coincidence.........gonna buy me a lottery ticket. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Small world or what!!!!!.....I'm in - currently holed up at one of the motels Fort something after a 700 km run down from home in Canada- would love to tag along.
I'm on the Wee tho my back says it prefers the Burgman ;)

I was considering basing out of here now I will for sure.
I did not see a McDs on the way in - guess I will find it
Sure is nice weather coming up.

Any suggestions for a Sunday ride - purely interested in easy going scenic as just getting used to new seat, boots, jacket and bike :rolleyes:

I am WAAAY over dressed for those temps but we will see how the Scott jacket breathes,
Email me direct at [email protected]

Cool timing guys:D
Hope you can join us. McDonalds is on Rt 55 east - as you go down into Petersburg from the hill, turn left at the downtown light towards Moorefield and it will be about 3/4 mile on your left.

PM me your contact info - you're probably at Ft Hill motel. I'll try to get in touch.

As for Sunday ride, have you been down Rt 220? Follow Rt 220 south out of Petersburg thru Franklin and on to Monterey VA. Then turn right (west ) on Rt 250 into Bartow. From there, it's a short jaunt south to Green Bank National Radio Observatory (free tours) and then on to Rt 66 (state route, not the famous one) west to Cass Scenic Railroad. Just behind the Cass Railroad station is a County Road 1 (Back Mt Road) north about 20 miles to Durbin and Bartow. CR1 is paved but narrow, and goes thru old farm country. Watch when you first start out from Cass northbound as it is not well marked and there is a very sharp right-hand corner that's easy to miss (ask me how I know). At Durbin and Bartow, catch Rt 28 north back to Petersburg with stops at Spruce Knob and Seneca Rocks.

We may be doing some of that on Monday, but it's worth seeing twice.

Also you could take Rt 42 north out of Petersburg (by the stop light at Sheetz gas) then right on CR5 (Patterson Creek Road) to just before Medley. Turn left on Greenland Gap Road. Also check out a small loop around Medley called Belle Barb Road. Very Scenic. Then, take Rt 42 up the mountain a few times from Scherr north towards Mt Storm. It's a windy 4 mile climb to the top that you will want to do over and over. HINT- wait at the bottom until there has been a large break in traffic so you don't get stuck behind a truck. I sometimes wait up to 5 minutes and start out only when I see a car approaching.

Hope to see you Monday at McD's.

BTW - you can get some ideas for rides at my website: www.RidingWV.com

Mike

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Excellent and yeah that's the motel....the odds of this are hilarious.....I mean it's almost November....many Canadian riders have stored their bikes.....too cool.

Thanks for the roads. I've not been anywhere - just arrived tonight.

Took the Burgman to Back of the Dragon last month and liked WV when I rode through....jumped all over that weather report.

Got a suggestion for breakfast other than McDs....mind you Sheetz has brilliant single source latte's

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent and yeah that's the motel....the odds of this are hilarious.....I mean it's almost November....many Canadian riders have stored their bikes.....too cool.

Thanks for the roads. I've not been anywhere - just arrived tonight.

Took the Burgman to Back of the Dragon last month and liked WV when I rode through....jumped all over that weather report.

Got a suggestion for breakfast other than McDs....mind you Sheetz has brilliant single source latte's
Not many breakfast choices - there's a good family diner downtown. Go to the downtown light and turn left on Rt 55 east towards Moorefield. The diner is about 100 meters from the stoplight on the right. Hole in the wall place, but fairly clean and down-home.

http://www.ridingwv.com/FolderDinerReports/FAMILYTRADITIONSRESTAURANT.htm

There's also Sue's diner by the Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer as you leave town on Rt 220 south. Food there is sometimes good, sometimes not.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Signing out for the night. Early morning church organist tomorrow.

See you Sunday 5-6pm or Monday morning at McDonalds.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Gonna head over to Tip Top in Thomas for coffee and something - then set TomTom to Winding Roads towards Hot Springs :D

http://goo.gl/maps/QAaKd

It's blowing like crazy out there now - woke me up. Hope that settles. I might be out on reading on those nice chairs around 6 tomorrow,

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Gonna head over to Tip Top in Thomas for coffee and something - then set TomTom to Winding Roads towards Hot Springs :D

http://goo.gl/maps/QAaKd

It's blowing like crazy out there now - woke me up. Hope that settles. I might be out on reading on those nice chairs around 6 tomorrow,
Hot Springs is a good destination. Take Rt 220 south from Petersburg to Hot Springs, then Rt 39 west almost to Marlinton, then Rt 28 north and pick up Cass and Green Bank on the way north to Seneca Rocks and Petersburg. Nice loop.

BTW - looking at your map - when you take Rt 5 north out of Petersburg, don't get on Corrider H (Rt 48 It's 4-lane - boring. Stay on Rt 5 another mile and turn left on CR 3/3 Greenland Gap Road. You will cross another highway, just cross it and continue on 3/3 to the end. When you get to the end of 3/3 under the TALL 4-lane bridge, bear to the left and you will end up at a small white church at the intersection with Rt 42 and Rt 93, at Scherr. Rt 42 goes up the mountain and is so much fun you may want to go back and ride it 2x or 3x. One of the best mountain curves sections in the state. HINT - wait at the bottom of the mountain for a large break in traffic. I sometimes wait 5 minutes or more and take off when I see a car approaching. This way, you don't have to slow down for slowpokes. At the top of the mountain, turn left at the Marathon gas and you're on your way to Thomas on Rt 93. Enjoy!

Weather is looking good the next few days but much colder by Friday (high only in the 40s F) That's here in Morgantown - probably 5 to 10 degrees colder in the mountains. Brrr...

How long you staying in Petersburg?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
until Wednesday latest'
Thanks for directions - not sure how best to use them yet - I guess email to myself and read on the iphone

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Brilliant road Greenland Gap - the Winding Roads picked it off for me.
glad there was no traffic....just gorgeous

..chilly ride to Tip Top - glad I had the heated grips - crazy wind but jacket good.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The WV gang dropped by to say hello....

looking forward to joining them tomorrow. Vstrom looks positively tiny.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Think that cold front stopped right over us....) - **** - chilly ride to McDs....might just stay here :D

32F was NOT forecast

whose idea was this anyways???....oh wait :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Think that cold front stopped right over us....) - **** - chilly ride to McDs....might just stay here :D

The rest of the crew have arrived - smart enough to wait til it's all of 3 degrees
d the scott jacket in the top case the last 40 miles - sign said 86F

Thanks for the tour - ran out steam and was getting careless - not enough sleep and cooking in the gear.

Lovely ride

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ride Report coming soon - need to organize and write script for 55 photos.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sorry I was such a vegetable yesterday afternoon ....lack of sleep caught up with me....too risky on a new to me ride .....was getting the bikes mixed up and grabbing the clutch for the rear brake.

Out cold for 3 hours when I got in tho had a nice break at the Seneca Rocks and stuck the Scott jacket in the top box - enough of that !!!!

Had excellent ravioli in town once I woke and another Wee rider from Cleveland dropped by the motel and said hi. Saw the ride report on the Strom site.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I was such a vegetable yesterday afternoon ....lack of sleep caught up with me....too risky on a new to me ride .....was getting the bikes mixed up and grabbing the clutch for the rear brake.

Out cold for 3 hours when I got in tho had a nice break at the Seneca Rocks and stuck the Scott jacket in the top box - enough of that !!!!
Yes, long trips and hotel beds can lead to lack of sleep. It's easy to get worn down.

Had excellent ravioli in town once I woke and another Wee rider from Cleveland dropped by the motel and said hi. Saw the ride report on the Strom site.
Glad you found good food. Ride Report on Strom Site???? I haven't posted anything. I will hopefully have it done by week's end and post it here and ADVRider.

Hope you have a safe (and warm) trip back up north.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
just got in …..only got to 27C not 30C - still was very warm..

13 hours ago was sunny and chiily 7 …then up to 27 then down 15 now - got a little wet but wind was insane in some areas….
Made a navigation error and cost myself an extra hour or more grrrr - gotta learn to trust the GPS - got way to far east on 99 and missed the turn on 80 to stay S of Buffalo....ended S or Rochester and had wicked cross winds as a bonus.

What's a little ride in the dark in the rain in deer country...

Gear all worked okay....bike still feels top heavy - think I will try the exact same load in the panniers and try riding with it distributed between the two and see if that helps a bit...

Boots were great
Jacket is okay zero to 25 - iffy after that.
Not 100% on the Adventure seat but that was 13 hours of which 11 riding so a long day.

Bike just rock solid all the time....rider marginal at times but I did get a good sleep last night both before and after supper so feel pretty good despite a long day.

Sure is pretty country.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts