Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 400 that I use for ferry commuting to Seattle. During rush hour the Bainbridge ferry is very full and that can mean maybe 50 motorcycles heading off the ferry first ahead of the cars. On the return trip, just outside of "town" is a stoplight and right after it the road narrows from 4 to 2 lanes. Yup, you can see the drag race setup, eh?

My 400 has surprised many a bike rider from harley to goldwing. They can take me, of course, but they need to max out their throttle in the gears to do it. That is what surprises them. I still remember the harley that bogged his machine down when he rolled on the throttle because I passed him. When he downshifted he was in a gear that wouldn't let him catch me without a shift which dropped him back a little more and he was most frustrated. Most of them now realize that I have something a little more than the 150cc scooters that are common.

So, one day I got passed by one of the street racer types. I was feeling a tad frisky so I goosed it and followed him. The mid range on the 400 is incredible and was making it a good time. However, the racer seemed to be a little irritated that a scooter was keeping pace with him.

The subject of this note occurred at a right hand corner that I have taken hundreds of times. I'm sure the racer thought he was going to lose me here when he flung his bike around the corner. I threw the scooter around it too. Hard enough that I dragged the center stand on the asphalt. I didn't think I could corner a scooter that hard.

Ok. I've dialed the testosterone down a bit. Back to a more mundane level of commuting. But it is an interesting bit of information on how hard these things can be pushed.

Dj

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
taodmj said:
I didn't think I could corner a scooter that hard.
Dj,

It surprised me the first time I dragged the cetnerstand too...going around the corner in a McDonalds parking lot. Since then, I've started using the center stand drag noise as an indicator that I'm having 'too much fun'. And as I get more confident on the 400, I'm having it happen far more often. :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I've been doing it more often on the 650 as well. I have my spring setting maxed out at 5 now and I still occassionally drag it. :D At this rate I'm going to have to invest in Knee pucks soon.

·
Registered
761 Posts
hahahaahah, I travel that Bainbridge/Seattle ferry alot and know what you are speaking of. -- in a car unfortunately---

Hey, is that ferry route a pay for both ways at the bainbridge side? Or do you have to stop along with the cars at the toll booths on both sides?

At the Edmonds ferry there is that one booth that is right next to the ferry so you don't have to line up with all the cars waiting to pay.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
DJ

When your machine is out of warrantly and coming up for a belt change - carry out the Malossi Multivar upgrade - you will really toast their asses then (and grind away your centre stand).

The malossi is the only worthwhile performance enhancement upgrade worth doing on a Burgman 400.

Malossi - kicks ass! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Nope. I am behaving these days. Just ask Doug Collins who I rode with at scootercade. I was a model scooter citizen, content to ride at the back of the pack. :angel5:

Only reason I was riding 80 mph on a 65 mph freeway going home, was because it would have taken too long at 65 mph. Of course it was really only 72 mph IF the speedo actually reads 10% low, as most of us think it does. I got delayed in Kansas City by road construction and rain - had to make the time up. Otherwise, I was a good boy for the whole trip.

Living in Nebraska, Doug didn't think I could go around curves anyway. He kept calling me the "Flatlander". :?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've been behaving too for the past couple of weeks .... since the state troopers have been targeting this area as a speed trap. ;) There was 6 state trooper vehicles including 2 unmarked black SUVs and 2 unmarked cars along with a county and city (out of his jurisdiction) providing K-9 support patrolling last week. Most likely the two K9 units were being used to search for drugs. This may not sound like a lot of police to some of you, but it's normally rare to see more than 2 troopers in this rural part of Tennessee.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
pauljo said:
Nope. I am behaving these days. Just ask Doug Collins who I rode with at scootercade. I was a model scooter citizen, content to ride at the back of the pack. :angel5:
Yeah right! You were just afraid to pass Mamma!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
allwalk said:
Yeah right! You were just afraid to pass Mamma!
:sign5: Didn't even think of that!

·
Registered
270 Posts
perhaps a little to agressive

:twisted: Paul was right, he was a model scooter rider. Content to ride in the back. It was allmost boreing. On one of the trips back up 23 hyi-way i got ahead of moma. And i had a blast. I ran off and left them both HA!HA! HA! :lol: :diabloanifire: I pulled over when i got to town and let them catch up with me. :glasses7: I just couldn't help myself. :twisted: i just get possessed with this little speed demon. He takes control sometimes. I'm sure there will be a state tropper some where down the road, that will help exercise this demon from me. Until then i'm going to enjoy haveing the little guy around once in while. :twisted: Paul was a good boy all week. A little boreing, but a good none the less. HA!HA!HA! :roll: Just kidding Paul, you were a lot of fun to be around. I hope we can ride again next year. Or sonner maybe. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: perhaps a little to agressive

doug collins said:
Paul was right, he was a model scooter rider. Content to ride in the back. It was allmost boreing. On one of the trips back up 23 hyi-way i got ahead of moma. And i had a blast. I ran off and left them both HA!HA! HA!
Oh my goodness! My reputation is forever ruined! :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts