Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Pappy said:
Does anyone have mumbers for 0-60 MPH and 1/4 mile performance times & MPH? Braking times etc, etc.? Just curious since I am stuck in "break in" HELL!!!!!!! Thanks, Mike
The break0in regimen is baloney - do what you want. Ask an race engine builder - run hard from the start without abusing.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
A little heavy acceleration to create enough compression to seat the rings is fine, but continuous running above 4000RPM, against Suzuki's recommendations, is something I wouldn't recommend.

Race engine builders are rebuilding their engines routinely, and have high paid pit crews, etc. at their disposal. We don't (at least I don't).

As for the performance figures:

Top speed: 101MPH (RADAR measurement)
0 - 1/4 mile: 15.19 sec. @ 84.9MPH
0 to 60MPH: 7.0 sec.
60 to 0MPH: 120.8 feet
Power-to-Weight Ratio: 1:16.23 (607 pound wet weight & 37.4 horsepower at rear wheel)
Speed @ 65MPH indicated: 59.8MPH

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
Brian said:
Speed @ 60MPH indicated: 59.8MPH
How did you come up with that? Most people have reported a speedometer error in the vicinity of 10%.... Just curious.
Sorry. Should have read "Speed at 65MPH indicated..."

I'll edit my post above to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Power-to-Weight Ratio: 1:16.23 (607 pound wet weight & 37.4 horsepower at rear wheel)
Speed @ 65MPH indicated: 59.8MPH[/quote]

Thanks!

Sure was hoping for quicker 0-60 times. HOPING for 1/4 mile times nearer 14 and 95 mph too. But hey, it IS a scooter. Guess I'll just have to be the FIRST to buy the new 1000cc scooter! Mike

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Pappy said:

Maybe I missed an earlier post. but, where did you get your results?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greengoose said:
Pappy said:

It wasn't ME who came up with the numbers. It was:

Brian
Super Poster

I was hoping for FASTER!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've seen other tests along the way - one had a 0-60 time of 5.8 secs. Another achieved a top speed of 117 mph (measured, not indicated) with a light rider on level ground and no headwind.

I ride a good performing 1000cc motorcycle too - my Burgman isn't in the same league when it comes to accelleration and top speed. But my Burgman is fast enough to be fun - and it's a lot less work to ride. It's kinda like comparing my 200 hp Ford Taurus to a 400 hp Corvette. My car is not underpowered - it does everything I ask of it. But if I wanted an occasional "Yee-Haw" romp - the Corvette would be a much better choice... :twisted:

One thing I've thought of too. When magazine test riders are testing a Suzuki Hayabusa, or a Kawasaki ZX10 (two of the fastest motorcycles currently made) - they are going to make as many test runs as needed to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the beast. And they are going to experiment with different riding tactics in order to do that. Do you think that they approach a scooter test with the same zeal? I don't think so... And that in itself would explain the variation in test results that I have seen.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greengoose said:
Pappy said:

The chart is taken from Motorcycle Consumer News' May 2004 article on the 650; but I can confirm from my own tests using a RADAR that the speedo error figure is accurate, and I personally saw a max speed of 112 indicated which would be 101 - 102 actual.

I'll get out the digital stopwatch and measuring tape this weekend or next, and let you know what my 1/4 mile and stopping stats are.

I haven't seen the write-up, but I've heard that Suzuki Japan claimed a top speed of 120MPH. If that's indicated speed it would be about 108 actual...only 6 or 7MPH higher than I got. I had a half-tank of fuel, a change of clothes and a rain suit in the trunk, and I'm 6'5" and was 230 pounds and was wearing a loose jacket when I did my "test run." If they had a small rider in a slick suit and only a litre or so of fuel I'd think that they could get those published results without much problem.

All in all, I'd say the MCN figures are accurate (except their "CycleStats" page has an error on their tachometer readings, or they had a bad unit...their numbers were out of line with what most riders are reporting, so I didn't quote them above).

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,

We were getting the Strom 1000 3 bike ago but went back to cruisers instead. We went to pick ours up actually when the sales guy screwed me. Started talking about how FAST it was etc. Trish had seen me crash racing at Ontario years ago at 156 MPH. The Strom never made it home that day. Had to buy a SLOW V Twin to get her off my case. Same thing happened at Ducati last year. I had her convinced ALL V Twins were DOGS (Harley guys had her convinced). But she heard other customers talking about how quick Ducs were. Here I am, "SCOOTER BOY".......Guess I'm WAY to old to be "boy" though. :oops:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brian said:
Greengoose said:
Pappy said:

Great. Now if I wasn't such a fat ass old dude! MY results are gonna be quite different sadly....

The chart is taken from Motorcycle Consumer News' May 2004 article on the 650; but I can confirm from my own tests using a RADAR that the speedo error figure is accurate, and I personally saw a max speed of 112 indicated which would be 101 - 102 actual.

I'll get out the digital stopwatch and measuring tape this weekend or next, and let you know what my 1/4 mile and stopping stats are.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I did not say I'm a fat ass old dude!

(Nesting quotes can get so confusing. :wink: )

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
We were getting the Strom 1000 3 bike ago but went back to cruisers instead. We went to pick ours up actually when the sales guy screwed me. Started talking about how FAST it was etc.
Aw... Compared to a Suzuki Hayabusa the Strom is quite slow... :wink:

But compared to a cruiser twin... :twisted:

Maybe the new Kawasaki 2000cc cruiser could give it a run on a straight road. Or the new Triumph 2300cc - but that is a triple so it doesn't count. One magazine described that big Triumph as "having enough torque to rotate the Earth".

Anyway, you currently own the biggest, baddest, scooter available. And it will outrun most of the cruiser bikes when the road gets curvy...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
We were getting the Strom 1000 3 bike ago but went back to cruisers instead. We went to pick ours up actually when the sales guy screwed me. Started talking about how FAST it was etc.
Aw... Compared to a Suzuki Hayabusa the Strom is quite slow... :wink:

But compared to a cruiser twin... :twisted:

Maybe the new Kawasaki 2000cc cruiser could give it a run on a straight road. Or the new Triumph 2300cc - but that is a triple so it doesn't count. One magazine described that big Triumph as "having enough torque to rotate the Earth".

Anyway, you currently own the biggest, baddest, scooter available. And it will outrun most of the cruiser bikes when the road gets curvy...
Yep, hit a bit of twisties yesterday. First time I ever shared the thought of "scooter" in the same moment as "performance". I LIKED it. I'm beginning to plan my "trap" for some buddies I am!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
Yep, hit a bit of twisties yesterday. First time I ever shared the thought of "scooter" in the same moment as "performance". I LIKED it. I'm beginning to plan my "trap" for some buddies I am!
In the Black Hills of South Dakota there are some VERY tight curves. I put the 650 in Power Mode to drop the gearing. Awesome. None of the motorcycles were keeping my pace - and I wasn't really working that hard at it. In those conditions, the 650 scooter is better than my V-Strom.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts