Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 2008 Burgman 400 has a performance air filter. I think the lady I bought the bike from said it was a K&N, but not sure. She told me it was louder than normal because of that.

Is that the way it is? I figured a performance muffler would be louder, but I didn't know an air filter would make the bike louder louder.

John

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I wouldn't think a proper air filter would make it much if any louder. Now a more open type of intake would make it louder. Best to check the airfilter and see what is in there.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have the K&N filter on my burgman, I can't really tell, if there is any noticeable difference sound wise, at least if you use a decibel meter.

The snorquel (item 8, mentioned in Buffalo's post) needs to be removed if you install the K&N.

again, to me i dont hear any difference vs the stock one, if you do hear something weird, you should take look at this and report back.

good luck

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Mine sounds the same, snorkel removed, K&N installed. But I did hit 94 actual GPS certified today! Blew by some unsuspecting HDs like they were standing still. Woo hoo. Bike was flying today. Not sure if its the filter, but that's the fastest I've been on it. Flatland too.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
K&N Recommends not using the Snorkle, It does make Less noise with it, But as fernando, Said not much noticeable difference sound wise.

One reason why are 400's Use this Big Air Filter Box, is to Cut down on the Noise, Tried Direct Air filters, and the Noise is very Loud, you can here the explosion from the Piston. One of the reason why No Company's have ever Made A Direct Air Filter because trey don't work.

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I also use the K&N in my 400, and the noise difference is minimal. Many of us have found them frustrating to install and close the air box with a complete seal. You should double-check to make sure the filter is seated properly and the air box is closed & sealed correctly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also use the K&N in my 400, and the noise difference is minimal. Many of us have found them frustrating to install and close the air box with a complete seal. You should double-check to make sure the filter is seated properly and the air box is closed & sealed correctly.
I tore into the air filter and found a couple of things. First, the plastic pins holding the initial cover that covers the entire area had no pins. The cover was just sitting loose. Secondly, and I think this may have been part of the problem, the air box cover looked to be a bit crooked and so whoever put it on, had trouble lining up the bolts that hold the cover down. This meant they could only get the front bolt in to hold the air box cover in place. Third, I can't be sure because I didn't know to check first, I don't think the cover was set in the tabs in the back. This all means that the air box was probably not set and sealed.

I've ordered the stock filter and inlet tube (snorkel) to see which I like best. I'll let you know how it goes.

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got everything put back together. I think the cover was not set in the clips before. It was very difficult to get the cover on, but after a lot of cuss in', it seems to be on correctly. Although I'm still not sure it seals properly. Looks, to me, as though the engineering is not quite right. Also, the side bolt that was missing was missing for a reason. It looks like someone tried to screw a bolt in that had the wrong threads. The threads are stripped, so I'll have to deal with that.

The bike is quieter now,

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts