Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem with the passenger backrest coming apart sometimes when a passenger gets on or off? Having to push it back together is a pain. Anyone with a solution?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I stopped in a local dealership to check out out a used '03 Burgman 400 recently. Its passenger backrest was popped off and sort of dangling there. I was curious how it popped back on but didn't want to fiddle with it too much. This must be a common problem.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It has a couple of hard rubber plugs that fit in the housing, dumb system.. I used just a light spray of glue on the two plugs, this has seemed to work and I feel sure I will be able to separate it if need be

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If I remember correctly, isn't there a small metal tab and a screw that holds the back rest pad in place also?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Roy,

There's a tab at the bottom of the backrest that holds the pad in place. I've seen a couple of 400s with the top of the pad loose. My 400 was that way sitting on the showroom floor. I brought it up at purchase time and they corrected it before I brought it home. My guess is they used a small bit of glue to hold it together too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I remember the pad was loose on my bike when I first bought it. I gave it a good whack to get the tabs to pop back into place...haven't had a problem since then but I rarely have someone ride back there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are three things to consider. To install the backrest, you position the tab that gets screwed down. at the bottom center of the backrest is a slot that must be postioned BEFORE pushing in the top two posts. I had installed my correctly when I installed my GIVI box. After my 6000 mile service, it would not stay in. Even with the screw installed if you push up on the bottom and get the slotted part in you just pust the two top posts in and it will stay. You don't have to use glue unless your backrest is damaged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No glue

gdavis13 said:
There are three things to consider. To install the backrest, you position the tab that gets screwed down. at the bottom center of the backrest is a slot that must be postioned BEFORE pushing in the top two posts. I had installed my correctly when I installed my GIVI box. After my 6000 mile service, it would not stay in. Even with the screw installed if you push up on the bottom and get the slotted part in you just pust the two top posts in and it will stay. You don't have to use glue unless your backrest is damaged.
Thanks fo da input. Havn't had a chance yet but I'll try all dat first.

Red

·
Registered
119 Posts
The long tab that extends down from the backrest can be secured from the front, or the back, but it is fiddly from the front.
When you install the rear rack, they tell you to secure the tab by inserting the screw through the gap next to the seat latch, but you need patience, a very long phillips, and the screw blu-tacked firmly to the driver cos it will drop off inside :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts