Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a thread in General, but it kinda went nowhere by the looks, thought I'd try the 650-specific folks:

Looking for a way to give my passenger armrests. The solution here requires fabrication beyond my ability, plus the Givi cases on the Mueller racks prohibit this setup anyway by the looks of it.

What I have to work with:

--No metalworking skills.

--Am capable of assembling, drilling, bolting, and epoxying metal

--Can't cut metal--so anything bolted or glued together has to be off the shelf, or small enough to grind/cut with a dremel tool ;)

--Don't have any friends who weld or a shop I can get to do it (good help is so hard to find...)

--A Givi rack with an E52 Maxi case (the case must remain...it's the passenger backrest)

--Mueller racks (so any solution can't extend below the level of the handrails)

--I have no issues modding the E52 or the Givi rack as long as it does not compromise the function and integrity of either. E52 must at least be removeable, since for solo use I switch to a smaller V46.

What I tried:
I had thought to strap some duffel bags to the grabrails above the Givi's on the Mueller racks, but that turned-out to inhibit access to the sidecases too severly.

Ideas:
No idea how to accomplish this with off-the-shelf components (or even ordering stuff from McMaster-Carr), but if one of you is clever:

--Bolting armrests to the seat somehow via the couple of bolts up underneath. Somehow make a bracket and find some armrests that would work. Trick is I don't know where to start on the bracket nor what armrests would suit the project.

--Bolting armrests to the Givi rack or the E52 itself. The link above shows what looks like a plate under the rack...which is perfect if you have the fabrication abilities...I don't. And I suspect the E52 would not appreciate the strain of armrests bolted to it.

What I need:
Something for my wife Patricia to rest her arms on and at least lightly lean on with the chance she might nod-off and put her whole weight on them momentarily or put weight on them while mounting/dismounting.

She's hypothyroid--which to you folks means while she loves to go on rides, I ride smoothly and lazily enough that she often dozes-off from simple fatigue. The PC800 didn't have armrests, but she managed to stay upright while sleeping lightly, and usually tilted forward if she fell too deeply asleep (clunk!). But once in a while she'd drift sideways, and as I go into a turn she'd abruptly wake-up from leaning-over, slightly unsettling the bike. No real danger, and I've learned to wake her up before she gets "that asleep," but as a present for her, I thought some kind of armrest contraption would be sweet. :)

(I know, I know...speeches from the safety folks about sleeping passengers...we understand the risks...)

THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat, I thought of some type of arm rest. My wife seemed to adapt to her "Power Naps", usually 10 minutes at a time. She uses her legs to stabilize while riding, and then it's a smooth, or just a boring road. It seems more frequent, now that I installed the Fehling sissy bar. The additional height, allows her to also use her back to help stabilize.

Perhaps something could be designed to mount on the Fehling backrest. I'm sure it could handle the stress.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
With some fiberglass cloth, plastic wrap, resin and some foam forming, I think you could fabricate about anything and make it custom, however, finding mounting places without going to a trike conversion might be a problem. Of course the trike conversions provide the best stability and seating with armrests, though. I've seen many custom things made from fiberglass, from seats, to furniture, to custom fit speaker boxes for vehicles, so you might experiment and see. You can start with prototype wooden forms, then cover with foam and wrap with fiberglass....and you can be creative.

As for dozing off, my wife has no thyroid and she takes synthroid, which is for hypothyroidism or no-thyroidism, so your wife may need to see the doc to up her medication, as dozing off isn't really an issue if meds are right. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QuantumRift said:
As for dozing off, my wife has no thyroid and she takes synthroid, which is for hypothyroidism or no-thyroidism, so your wife may need to see the doc to up her medication, as dozing off isn't really an issue if meds are right. Been there, done that.
She's tried, problem is she's been to three doctors who all say that since her numbers are normal, she should be fine (the "it's all in your head" problem) or "you'll get used to it in 2-3 years and feel better."

Her thyroid was nuked...she has one, but it essentially doesn't function (she was hyperthyroid...some "cure").

Other problem is, she doesn't respond to artifical thyroid, and near as we can tell, the "real" stuff she has to take is much less effective, dose changes take months to show change, etc.. Not to mention pricey because it's harder to get the effects consistant when you're useing ground pig's thyroid (**** they smell nasty).

Back on topic, I'm not likely to be any better making my own fiberglass bits than I am at welding...mechanical talents have always eluded me beyond the basics. I'm more a technology guy. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
It was me that has the GW backrest and I added Kurtakyn arm rest, wife says its very comfortable, you can see pictures on my trike site in my gallery. If you have a Corbin seat it makes it easier to mount the GW back rest. The arm rests are very heavy and they need a lot of support, some one put them on a Givi box a while back, they are also in gallery on my web site, just check through the members pictures. Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
seatec said:
look in sonny 1639 gallery to see how he added the armrests, looks easy enough to do. :idea: on http://www.burgmantrikes.com Wayne
Seatec,

Sonny 1639 ought to considering selling a kit, consisting of that base bracket (looks like a substitute for the Givi product) and those side brackets and the armrests. I'd be interested, if the price were "reasonable" (whatever that means).

And, if a fabricated mod could include a better backrest than that high, little, Givi thing that sits near the top of the E52, I'd be really interested.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing about a bracket for the Givi with armrests added. On my next trike body I plan to have a e 52 givi with GW back rests and arm rests all as one unit which I take off when Im alone, would work on bike I think if it does not need supports to body , because armrests are so heavy. I may make aluminum arm rests :idea: Wayne

·
Registered
114 Posts
This a photo of the armrests on one of our scooters. I have about the same thing on the Burgman. I purchased a piece of pipe that was about 12' long and curved on both ends. I cut the ends off and welded them onto the bumper to provide armrests.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Godzilla said:
This a photo of the armrests on one of our scooters. I have about the same thing on the Burgman. I purchased a piece of pipe that was about 12' long and curved on both ends. I cut the ends off and welded them onto the bumper to provide armrests.
Godzilla,

I'd like to look at a larger version of that picture. If you email it to me, I'll be glad to put it up full-size off-site (on my site), with a link to it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd be happy to that Bill, but I will need an email address. PM it to me and I will also send a photo of the rack on the Burgman

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Just to chime in on the arm rest I installed. I don't have the german Givi mounts. I made some out of some Givi mounts for another type bike I bought off the internet. Now that was a challenge to get them the way I wanted the side bags but that's a story for another day.

The arm rest brackets were very easy to make if you already have the Givi kit.

As far as tools it took a drill and a hack saw or saber saw to cut the material and a couple of wrenches to put it together.

It is just made out of 3 pieces of material, I used an old scrap piece of aluminum I had around here for a log time but you could use other materials. Bought a piece of aluminum angle to use to bolt the sides to the bottom piece. Just drill holes in the aluminum angle then through the pieces of metal using bolts to put it all together. Welding it all up might look better but I wanted simple and and easy to do. After that I used the armrest as a template and drilled holes to mount that to the side brackets. Then use the Givi mount for a template for the cross piece.

It is held on with the same 3 bolts that hold the GIVI case mount.

I did order stainless bolts off the internet just so it wouldn't rust.

It makes it nice for the passenger.
Everyone that has ridden there say they like them and it makes tem feel safer.

Good Luck to anyone that wants to add the arm rest...

Once trhough just use some flat back or whatever color turns you on.

Thinking about adding some more lights to the back of the side wings to make it easier to see.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Godzilla said:
I'd be happy to that Bill, but I will need an email address. PM it to me and I will also send a photo of the rack on the Burgman
Godzilla sent me four pictures yesterday, and I just got around to putting them on my server. Here they are, in the full sizes that were sent to me:

http://www.billanddot.com/Godzilla-Burgman-armrests/

Unfortunately, the one shown earlier in this thread is really that small. Maybe it was a cell-phone picture or something.

In any event, enjoy!

Thanks Godzilla.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts