Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a Scooter no less!

Now I need to pass the written test, but I am closer!

I'm a newbie here although I have lurked for a while before signing up. Exceptional forum for information on the Burgman. I am located in Oregon but will soon be moving to the DC Area so have been looking for a small easy commute vehicle. I am very excited about the Burgman. I am hoping to look at the 400 and the 650 next week just to get a comparison of size! Hard to get a feel from the internet ....

I may have some stupid newbie questions so please bear with me. I'll try the search function first though, but it has been 25 years since I have been on a motorized 2 wheel vehicle so I may have some general rider questions as well moving forward.

Thanks in advance and it is nice to meet everyone.

BK

P.S. I REALLY think a scooter specific class is a good idea. There are definitely some differences between the CVT scoot and a manual motorbike! And I think some different techniques would be more appropriate ... oh well. Passing was the goal and I'll learn the rest from experience and asking you all!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd seriously recommend, if you're Burgman bound, the 400. It's MUCH easier to ride and more forgiving for the uninitiated. The throttle, handling and weight is much more manageable than the 650. It is very capable and will meet all your needs, without the intimidation of a big bike. I ride my 400 exclusively for 7 years and loved it.

One of the biggest problems I see with new riders, scooter especially, is over confidence. "They got it... " Until they don't got it. Scooters are deceptively easy to ride. Twist and go. Until You hit patch of sand, or a decreasing radius turn or a bump that makes your handle bars gyrate back and fourth. And 60 mph is 60 mph not matter what you're riding. It is better get a bike you can more easily handle.

I suggest getting the biggest bike you're comfortable with, but no larger. Your first six months or year of riding is NOT the time to push your skill level. Start off small and work up later. I started on a 50cc moped.

Anyway, congratulations on passing your test and welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I agree - if you are going to deal with the worst traffic in the US then the lighter 400 makes way more sense.

A Burgman 650 is not a start off bike after a long layoff.

It's heavy and can bite and powerful enough to get an inexperienced rider into trouble. It would just not be fun in that parking lot they call DC.

For DC a 400 with ABS would be my choice.....and really good set of earphones. :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Given I have a choice of the two Burgmans and plenty of experience, I still choose the 400 as my daily commuter. I'd recommend the 400, no matter of skill level, as perhaps the best in-city commuter bike on the planet.

Food for thought...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am leaning toward the 400 as well for all the above reasons as well as the ease of parking the lighter scoot. I figure if things change I can always upgrade! (or keep the 400 and get a 650 and get my wife to learn to ride :) )

The advice here is top notch and always appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I would agree with what has been said. I hadn't ridden in 25 year before getting my 07 400 with 500 miles on it. Took the safety class & got my MC license. 45 mph felt like 90 after not having the wind in my face for all that time. :rolleyes: Once I had a few miles on my 400, 46k+ miles I decided to sell & get a 09 650 with 7300+ miles. As stated above it's not for someone that hasn't ridden in a while. You will be all :D with a 400.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd concur - I'd been riding a 49cc (Yamaha Vino) for the last year (>4000 miles), took my motorcycle safety course in April (highly recommended - I think it's a great idea to take the course on a shifty for comparison), and bought my Burgman 400 a week ago yesterday. I plan to use it for a bit of everything, but mostly in town commuting - while I do not have any experience with the 650, I can't imagine a much heavier bike in town. The 400 seems to have plenty enough power except for maybe 2 up touring.
The thing I found amazing was how easy the transition was from the Vino to the 400 (YMMV). Even on the test ride, I felt compentent on basic ride skills pretty much right away. It was a much easier transition from the Vino to the 400 than it was to the Suzuki GZ250 that I rode in the safety course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts