Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone please explain to this newbie how to use the "PASS" button and what exactly it does? :?

·
Registered
133 Posts
When you pull the trigger it toggles hi/low beam.

I don't use it, universally speaking flashing your headlight means to some LOOKOUT!, while to others it means GO AHEAD!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Like Warren says it just flashes your higbeams to make you a little more visible. The problem with this is that I usually ride in the daytime with Highbeams on all the time. So it doesnt really do too much for me.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Heh. I just realized this afternoon that when I flash like mad to get the truckers to come on over, nothing happens. I run on high beams, too (during the day). They do come in handy at night though. :oops:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
In Europe "Flash to Pass" is pretty much universally understood. Even race drivers at places like Le Mans do it.

I really hate it when people, motorcycle or car, drive with high beams on during the day. Today's lamps are much brighter than those of even a few years' past, and I have sensitive eyes. Even the automatic-highbeams-on-in-the-day-at-half-power lights on a lot of new cars are too bright. The government said half "power" but they should have said half "brightness." Lumens vs Watts.

I also hate it when bikes, usually Harleys, come at me with three big lights blazing. The two "auxilliary" lights or "driving lights" are usually way out of alignment, especially if they're riding two up.

Sure, we want to be seen, but do we want a blinded driver hurtling at us in an out of control cage?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Warren said:
When you pull the trigger it toggles hi/low beam.
It doesn't exactly toggle it. To me that would mean one press and you're on high, another press you're on low.

The Flash-to-Pass button simply puts on the high beam while it's being pressed. It's a little easier to reach with the index finger than the regular High/Low rocker is with the thumb, and you don't have to remember to go back to low.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i was used to riding with highbeams during the day with my reflex, but with the 650, they were so strong that I had numerous complaints.

I now modulate and still get some annoyed folks. The modulator can be turned off and I can still use flash to pass if need be.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
In my opinion, it's a good idea to run with highbeams during daylight hours. With so many cars with Daytime Running Lights, your brights can make a bike standout a little more from other traffic and that's a good thing. However, you do have to be aware of situations that can bother other vehicles.
Normally, on-coming traffic is not blinded by brights during daylight hours. It may irritate a driver because you have your brights on but all they have to do is not stare at your brights. In those situations, your lights are doing their job because you are noticed and are not creating a safety hazard. However, if you are on a two lane road where on-coming traffic is relatively close and other drivers are signaling you, it may be a good idea to switch to low beams (possible that your lights are misaligned and really causing oncoming drivers problems).
Also, when following vehicles, it's probably best to run on lowbeams. Bright lights in a car's rearview mirrors can be very irritating and distracting over a short period of time, even during daylight.
If you're riding in a group, have the lead bike run with highbeams but everyone else ride with their lowbeams. There's nothing worse than leading a ride and having the following bikes with brights on ( that's because the leader should be constantly checking the group in his mirrors for problems and doing a "headlight count" to make sure everyone is accounted for). :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Other than total darkness--with no oncoming traffic--the only time I use the high beams (and then judiciously) is at dusk. I think it can be harder to be seen then--and it's when most potential accidents occur, in my short experience.

Last night, for example, I could sense that a truck about to pull out in front of me didn't see me--so I put the high beams on well in advance (so they couldn't presume I was flashing "go ahead" to them) and weaved a little in the lane. Our MSF instructor said sometimes weaving (controlled) can jog someone out of a daydream or a fixed stare so that bikes register anew for the driver. In situations like that, I'd rather momentarily annoy someone than wind up upside down wishing I had. (Not a knock against anyone who feels otherwise, just my HO.)

Bryna
P.S. I will also judiciously use the flash-to-pass button if, for example, I'm stopped in traffic and can let someone out in front of me. I do this in my cage, too, and it tends to breed good will. As a rider, I need all I can get! :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Invincsum said:
P.S. I will also judiciously use the flash-to-pass button if, for example, I'm stopped in traffic and can let someone out in front of me. I do this in my cage, too, and it tends to breed good will. As a rider, I need all I can get! :D
I do this as well. Both in my cage and on the bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pass Button / Push to Talk

We have a set of FRS radios that had a push to talk. When I got a burgman like the wifes I thought that since we don't use the flash to pass it would be better used to convert it over to a push to talk and it works great.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Making the PASS button a push-to-talk is a GREAT idea. Can you post details of how you did it?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
DonRich90 said:
...It may irritate a driver because you have your brights on but all they have to do is not stare at your brights....
Yeah, just what I want -- something that forces drivers to not look where I am. :?

BTW, in many jurisdictions it is (rightly) unlawful to run with anything more than the lowest possible composite of lights when in the vacinity of other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Brian said:
Yeah, just what I want -- something that forces drivers to not look where I am. :?
Hey Brian, if you're not comfortable with having your brights on in daylight when there is a relatively close oncoming vehicle, just dim them like you would at night. Just that action of dimming should be noticed by the other vehicle and make the driver more aware of your bike.
Once you've passed the vehicle, flick back to high beams. This will again make you more visible to distant on-coming traffic and vehicles that may be waiting to pull out from intersections, driveways, parking lots, etc. It's those vehicles that are about to pull out into my lane that concern me more than the on-coming traffic (except the ones who are about to turn left in front of me). :D

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Mike, sorry for the slow reply to your question. On the 400, remove the HB cover, remove the left headlight/turn signal switch cover by removing the two screws. Unsoldier the wires to the switch. Route the keyer wire along the other wire bundle, soldier the keyer wire to the switch. Reassemble. I assume it is the same on the 650 except you have more wires going to the left end of the HB.

·
Registered
270 Posts
pass button

Since buying my 400 last August, & my 650 this April. I've had several close calls with people pulling out in front of me. It's aggavateing, however after buying my 650. My wife & i were out rideing & i noticed that in traffic situations. I would be looking out for her in my rearview & i couldn't hardley see her. Her lights are to dim for daytime use. She said the same about mine. We own the 03 blue. they blend into the road very easily. I've noticed since i started useing my hi beams during the daytime, i've had less problem with people pulling out in front of me. I don't mind irritateing a few people out there a little bit. At least they let me know they've seen me. The life i save may & proberly will be my own. So if you are out there and see us comeing and the light hurts your eyes. Let me know i'll dim them for you. I would rather be seen than not seen. I'm tried of haveing to slam on my brakes just because someone can't see me. The law really needs to be changed for motorcyles & or scooters. Most people won't pull out in front of you if they are able to see you. This is my own opinion, you all can do what you think is right.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: pass button

doug collins said:
...Most people won't pull out in front of you if they are able to see you...
I've had cars turn left into my path three times in my 30+ years of driving.

Once I was driving my 1969 Buick Elektra, not a small car by any means. Both cars were totalled.

Once I was a passenger in a city bus. Car was totalled. Bus and passengers were fine.

Once I was a passenger in a bus at Disney World. Car was totalled, bus was fine, I was thrown out of my seat but didn't get hurt. (And too honest to say I was hurt in hopes of an extended stay at the Carribean Beach Resort.)

Visibility isn't the problem. The problem is drivers who become so focused on their own situation that they simply don't/won't see what's happening around them. For that kind of driver, high beams won't help. For those who would look for you, high beams can hurt.

And you can't go by what you see of another bike in your rear view mirror. If you really want a test, get in a car and drive toward them on a cloudy day.

One good reason to drive with low beams is that if a car does appear to be unaware of you, you can flip on your high beams to really catch their attention. Not just a flash, which might be interpreted as "go ahead," but a good steady beam until you're past them or otherwise know they've seen you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts