Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the stealer today to purchase a new air filter for my new to me 2008 400 and nearly had a heart attack when guy behind the counter told me it was $58.00 for the OEM filter. WTF!!:confused:

Was this correct? Is it really this expensive? I've never come across an air filter this expensive unless it was a K&N filter which this one isn't and will need to be thrown away in the future when it's dirty.

What have the other members used in place of the OEM filter? I still purchased the filter because I didn't have much of a choice at this time but I'm pretty reluctant to install it in the event there is a cheaper alternative than the OEM.

I read a little bit about the K&N filter that some of the members have used but read something about fitting issues with the K&N so that may not be a very good option.

·
Registered
158 Posts
$14.95 and free shipping off Ebay 2007-2014 models. Just go to ebay motors and type in "air filter burgman 400".

Don't you just love dealers AFTER the sale.............................regards, Mike

P.S. I get my spin on oil filters for my V-Strom 650 for $15 for 4 each delivered vs paying the dealer $18 for one. They are the exact same filter made by the same company just not branded "Suzuki"

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Mike. Sure glad I didn't put that dealer filter in yet. :eek:)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
The eBay filters from China seem to be aftermarket filters and are hi-flo filters. Most are called 'Racing' filters. Some are described as a paper gauze. I like a good price too but I am skeptical about the quality of these products and their ability to keep particulate out of our engines. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have purchased a couple of the cheap eBay filters from China. The vendors and descriptions seem to change over time. The filters seem to be Suzuki knock-offs. On one filter, the there was a missing notch in the frame, easily fixed with a bit of filing. The filter media seems to my untrained eye the same as on the Suzuki and other motorsports filters. I have had no performance issues, and haven't seen any accumulation of grime on the clean side of the air filter box.

I will purchase these again from eBay. I too, do not understand why Suzuki charges 5 times the cost of a good automobile air filter for the Burgman filter.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I bought a K & N, one time deal, cheaper then the OEM, but I'm set for life. It is a little tricky to get in there, but unless you are riding in extream dust, I'm sure you can handle fiddling with it once a year, tops.
And the nay Sayers can say what they want, my good friend races off road trucks for a living, he uses a K&N to filter air for his sponsored $60,000 TRD NASCAR engines. ThTs a lot of mud, dust, and debris, so that's good enough for me on a clean highway in clean air.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those that have used the K&N filter has there been fitment issues? I've read somewhere that it was difficult to get the filter to sit in properly which makes it difficult to close the box cover. Is this true? Anyone experience this and can explain the issue to me? I've seen some K&N filters on Ebay and from just viewing it appears to look like the OEM filter but looks can be deceiving. The K&N on Ebay is even cheaper than the OEM filter and I already have the oil/cleaner kit so it would be a no brainer to use K&N though a bit concerned about the possible fitment issues.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have a K&N filter in mine. I did have a lot of problems seating it and, in my case, it appeared to be associated with manufacturing tolerances in the sealing part of the K&N. I thought, perhaps, it was just plain difficult to get the air box back together but replacing the old OEM filter was simple and easy. The K&N was not simple. I ended up Dremeling some of the plastic off the K&N and even then it was a trial.

Bottom line - if you go the K&N route, be prepared to spend some time fiddling around to get it back together but in the end, you can use it and get acceptable results.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an original spin on filter for my Suzuki and it is IDENTICAL to the ones I buy off EBAY right down to the Japanese picture writing(except no Suzuki stamp). They even have the plastic film over the gasket end. Been using the inexpensive ones for several years and zero problems. If folks use the CHEAP paper filled FRAMS from walmart on their $40,000+ pickups and SUV's with no ill results, I think I'm good.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with all said...It seems like the motorcycle world feel that we get great mpg's so we should pay huge prices for silly little parts like an oil filter.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Here in the Uk the genuine Suzuki filter for the 400 for 2007+ is around $33 at todays exchange rate. I think your dealer has made a mistake. The main difference we found between after market and genuine air filters was the flow rate. Some aftermarket filters allowed too much air through and potentially particulate matter, and others not enough. It also has a knock on effect with performance, but often not enough to worry about. Some of the worst filters did affect both performance and filtration and did lead to poorer performance that you could notice, and lower mpg. If you stick with the better known after market filters you shouldn't have any problems, but me, I use genuine each time as it's often just a few bucks more and I know I won't have any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts