Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where I should have posted this, but since I have a '13 400 this is as good a place as any.

Here's what happened.

I was filling up the tank and accidentally overfilled the tank. The hole in the rubber seal did its job. I dabbed some remaining puddles with a paper towel.

We took off, enjoyed the day and didn't need to fill up until yesterday. (one week later).

Upon opening the fuel door, I noticed several brownish grains. It looks like large grains of brown sand.

I have no idea what these things are. I didn't do any off-roading, and didn't open the latch at all.

Am I going crazy, or are these pieces the residual of evaporated fuel?

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

2550 Miles

No issues at all with performance. I have noticed at idle, she is a little rough, but not really noticeable and this is only at start up, so I account this to her being a bit cold.

Fuel: Regular unleaded 87..

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
The only thing I can think of is bad gas.
I remember seeing that in old equipment that hasn't be run a while.
Some may call it varnish, but ethanol, and reformulated gas is more pron to it that straight gas. Also gas stations that have been freshly fueled can stir up sediments in an old storage tank.

Things you could try.

Check your fuel filter for contamination.

Try an additive that is made for blended fuels, to reduce separation.

Try a different gas station.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
That area is open to road dust, etc. It may have collected some dirt on the area were the gas spilled over.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
sfburg, as Roy is saying it's normal road dirt. It's open to the elements in there and it gets dirty especially on a longer ride and more so in the wet. I have the same in mine and I just wipe it out with a clean damp cloth. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the fuel spilling in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts