Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the final drive oil yesterday. The drain plug and filler plug both damaged badly. I believe they were caused by improper tool used. Would like to order new ones, so they can be replaced at next oil change. But not able to find the part numbers. Anyone knows the part number for both? Thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Note: the plugs on the 2013 - 2016 are now different than on the 2002 - 2012 series. I have a spare one for 2002's - 2012's, will now need to order a spare one for my 2013.

One trick to assure good life from the plugs holes is to tap the hex socket in lightly with a plastic ended hammer to ensure the hex socket is pushed all the way to the bottom or back of the hole before putting the ratchet or torque wrench to it.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Chérie said:
Note: the plugs on the 2013 - 2016 are now different than on the 2002 - 2012 series. I have a spare one for 2002's - 2012's, will now need to order a spare one for my 2013.
How so? Photos?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
How so? Photos?
The new plug has no flange on its outside perimeter, and you now need to use a 10mm hex socket instead of the previous 8mm hex socket.

I am not very good with a camera, you will have to wait until my next oil change for photos to see the difference, you notice it immediately however when you remove the black cover and look at it. You now have to remove the lower left leg shield to get to the last bolt on the black cover of the final drive, it is a bloomin pain in the as!.

Personally I think the new plugs are cheaper than the previous ones probably saving Suzuki $$.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one (Admins, I'm guessing you'd prefer this so that related info stays in one rather than multiple threads?)—the drain plug for my '05 seems completely unavailable now unless I pay about $38 total on eBay, which is madness. I just ordered it from Partzilla only for them to say it's backordered (weird since the site STILL says it's available :mad:) so will do my best to avoid them from now on.

Have any of you had success with aftermarket option? Surely these aren't THAT unique.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
Thanks Mikey! Rock on.
Ok , now I'm confused, I have 2 oil drain plugs, 2 sizes, one is bigger than the other, an the other is smaller,,,,, (diameter) but do you need oil or final drive?

Sorry for the delay, I changed a headlight bulb, an it wiped me out!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm looking for final drive, specifically the drain plug (so would have a magnet in the middle). It is interchangeable with the final drive fill plug in terms of diameter etc—only difference is the magnet. I have a replacement fill plug coming since that one wasn't out of stock, but the drain plug with the magnet is crucial of course and that's the stripped one from my other thread.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
ok, sorry i couldn't help. now, that plug goes in to aluminiminimum and the plug is steel(ish) it's possible to magnetize the whole plug, might be an altrenative, and would work as well or better with a larger surface area

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Blue—looks like they have it, will be $32 shipped, so both cheaper and likely more reliable than eBay.

That said...I dunno...I felt pretty annoyed paying $20 to Partzilla but was willing to do so. But $32 feels like I'm being extorted and I'd rather find a different replacement on principle and to hopefully help others in this forum. Mikey, I like your magnetization idea! Will toy with that and see what I can do. May also take plug into big box or other store and see if I can match, though I don't think their testing holes are big enough to test.

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
Could buy a couple 'Rare Earth' Magnets and epoxy one on a 'Fill' plug. Just rough up the back side of the plug and a smeer of JB Weld should work.

I have 3 computer Harddrive magnets on the outside of my Subaru's oil filter. When I cut it open it has a little bit of fine metal stuck where the magnets are. You could wire tie one on the bottom of the final drive and just remove it before draining the fluid. DO NOT GET ANY SKIN BETWEEN ONE OF THESE MAGNETS AND STEEL.

Reactions: panamaniac

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
I know rare earth magnets lose their magnetyness real fast when they get warm, and 250 degrees is warm enough to do it so being INSIDE with the oil might be an exercise in ,,,, oilyness. outside is a good idea as they wiil cause magnetyness thru the plug, that can be tested before you install it , and even if they do fall off they won't be inside, but they don't fall off real good. If you are not aware, they are shiney, but it's a chrome coating that will chip off and look like dirt in the inside, and they do break and chip kinda easy, waaay tooo much fun to play with and should not be given to human males without swmbo's supervision

·
Registered
71 Posts
Love the creativity here! I suppose another option would be to get a "fill" plug and drill out the inserted end enough to insert a magnet of similar size/power as the one in the drain plug. Would just need to make sure it's attached well enough to never come off, and also ensure that the JB weld or whatever never sloughs off.

Lol, maybe I should cut into my existing stripped drain bolt and see how they attached that magnet.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
it's that white stuff on chicken poo, you don't need much

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Over 75,000 miles on my 2003 and still original plugs and crush washers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts