Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm no longer a virgin. Today trying to leave a Wal Mart parking lot a beige Camry pulled out from behind a huge red pickup and nailed me and my 650 in the side. I think she'd been cutting across lanes, and just couldn't see who if anyone might be coming down the lane before she pulled into it.

I went down on my right side, the scooter having been hit right in front of my right footwell and knocked from below me. Pretty good road rash along my shoulder and upper back. Abrasions on my exposed elbow, knee, and shin. Something poked a little hole though the flesh on my finger (next to my pinkie). My right shoe had been pulled partly off my foot and torn at the top near my big toe. No cuts or scrapes on my foot, but my big toe got bruised pretty good.

I was going maybe 10mph, and slowing down in anticipation of some sand in the road just ahead. I heard someone honk, WHAM, then just me yelling "SH_T! SH_T! SH_T! SH_T!..." all the way down. From the scratches in the pavement it looks like I slid about 15 feet.

Burgman front frame must be bent. The plastic popped out and pushed over to the left. It bent the key in the ignition about 45 degrees. The engine stopped when I hit the ground even though I did not hit the kill switch. Most damage is to the front. It looks like every piece of plastic except the mirrors from the footwells forward is damaged. Every cubby compartment popped open. Two small pieces of plastic broke off and were left along my sliding path.

Several people came immediately to my aid. I thought my foot might have been broken, but it appears now to just be my toe. What hit it did so hard enough to pull my high-sided tennis shoe over my heel. I laid there for about five minutes just doing a personal system check. My head did not seem to be involved and there is only one minor new nick in the right side of my helmet. I'm sure it must have touched down, but did not slide like my shoulder did. I've got sore ribs on the right and a stiff right foot. I refused an ambulance ride (My wife is a doctor) but the EMS folks were very kind and helped clean my wounds a bit. They even gave me a Donald Duck bandaid for the cut on my finger. Some men got my scooter up to it's kickstand. The handlebars will turn, but not without pulling some loose plastic along. Wouldn't start. I got the bent key out, but could not get it back in to open the trunk. So the package I'd bought at walmart is still in there.

What helped? My 100% cotton polo shirt saved my shoulded and back from abrasions but not rash. My shoe kept all the flesh on my foot and ankle from making any contact with the road, but didn't keep my toe from getting smashed. Ironically I have some steel toed shoes bought just for riding the scooter, but I wasn't wearing them tonight.

I survived, but will see my doctor in the morning just to be sure. I'm afraid the burgman may not, as it appears mortally wounded.

The Camry lost some paint off it's front bumper, right fender, and hood. She was able to drive it away. My 650 remains parked in a corner of the walmart lot. Tomorrow I'll take a screwdriver and see if I can get enough plastic off it to check for frame damage and possibly start it up.

My point? You're never safe in large busy parking lots. Two local police departments sent cars, and four officers and two EMS workers agreed this was one of those "nothing you could have done" accidents. Even with hindsight I can't see any way to have avoided getting hit. The Camry driver did get a ticket.

I did have a 1st aide kit in one of the front cubbies. My wife used a few of the big bandages in there, some sterile wipes, and a few other things to patch me up. I have a tool kit under the seat, but with the key bent and the ignition plate covered there was no way to get to it. If I'd had the screwdriver from that kit I could have unscrewed some plastic to get to the iginition switch and possible open the trunk. Consider that the trunk may not be accessible after an accident, so safety gear in there won't be available.

I guess I'll take the cage to work tomorrow. No choice, really. :cry:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
**** Thinker, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Fortunatly the damage to you isn't permanant (I hope & pray) & will heal quickly (again, I hope & pray). Your Burgy is replaceable, & since she got the ticket, her insurance should take care of it & your medical bill(s). If she's not insured, I hope you have adequate coverage to handle it.

Good luck, & I'll pray for your speedy recovery, physically & fiscally.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm bummed. We takes our chances. Take care of yourself.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles, 4. There but for the grace of god go us all. I tipped my Burg at about 5 MPH once (my own stupid fault, was still just learning) and was out of circulation for almost a week _on my vacation_. May your luck be better than that.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm very sorry to read of your accident. Wishing you a speedy recovery and thankful that you came out of this with relatively minor injuries; it could have been a lot worse.

The one bright spot in this dismal situation is that this driver and her insurance company will be buying you a nice new '06 Burgie. :roll:

Regards,

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry you're banged up but glad it wasn't worse. I think you are lucky in 2 respects. First you are still basically in one piece and second that you don't live in Wisconsin. In this state the police WILL NOT give tickets in parking lot accidents. They won't even respond to a parking lot accident unless there are injuries. You would be stuck with a joint at fault situation and each insurance company would respond to their insureds claim. That means collision deductible out of pocket and probably not all your medical paid.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts. Today I'm still stiff and sore, but have to go to work. First day of classes at the college where I teach. Then calls to insurance, doctor, motorcycle shop. Then I've got to take a screwdriver over to the bike at walmart and see if I can get the trunk open.

Any of you know if there is a tip-over kill switch on the 650? The bike stopped running the second I hit the pavement, but it could have been that the ignition key was turned when the plastic hit it and bent it. Either way I'm glad it stopped. No fluids came out (of the bike) that I could see, and the rear end/motor didn't seem damaged at all. The bike rolled fine except for the handlebars snagging on broken plastic. I'd love to get it running and home, but will let the insurance guy tell me what He'd rather I do.

Yes, I'll heal. My 650 was an '04 bought in March this year. I suspect I'll get a 2005 as replacement. That'll be nice if it happens.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
4D-

Glad you're okay, that's most imortant. Your bike can be replaced, you can't be. There is a tip over switch on my 650 (05 model), I saw note of it in my service manual.

Your experience drives home 2 points:

Saftey gear has to be worn 100% of the time to be effective, since it's impossible to predict crashes.

And- No matter how uninjured you think you are, always see a doctor as soon a practical after a crash, especially if someone hits you. If you skip the initial exam, and have problems a few weeks or months down the road, you'll have a heap of trouble getting any reimbursement for your medical expenses from the other party, if they are responsible.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I always believed that in some ways the parking lots are more dangerous than even the Interstates. You laid there and did a check of the body, but I believe I might have been mad enough to get up and give that lady a grade "A" R. Lee Ermy "Full Metal Jacket" certified arse chewing.

That's why, as inconvenient as they are, I kind of like these parking lots with parking curbs and small landscaped bushy areas located within the parking lot. For us, they are safer.

Glad to hear that you are ok. Machines can be replaced.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
glad you are alright and that the situation isn't worse. Hope you heal quickly and the bike can be fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
4D,

Sorry to hear about the spill, but glad to hear you seem to be OK. Some people just don't understand that parking lots aren't drag strips.

Let's hope your insurance company is quick to help you get the Burgman back on the road or to get you a new one.

Janine :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
4D - I am sorry to hear of the incident whereby a negligent driver assaulted you with a moving vehicle (note I do not use the term accident)and relieved to hear you are relatively OK.

Hope the insurance company pop for a new replacement!

BTW - thank you for the detailed report - I think the picture wire modification for seat release is a must now!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ditto. I've already gotten the wire & am waiting for a little shade to go put it on.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
NormanB said:
BTW - thank you for the detailed report - I think the picture wire modification for seat release is a must now!
Please explain this modification, it sounds interesting.

Janine :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Basicly it's just a little manual insurance so if you don't have the key or the key doesn't work, you can still get into the trunk.

A bit of piano wire (or picture hanging wire) attached to the latch so it can be opened manually in a pinch.

There was a thread not too long ago about how to do it with pics & everything.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I've talked to insurance, Doctor, Tow Service, and told my wreck story to everyone at work. I don't know if it was the story or the bloody elbow or my limp that got me sympathy, but something did.

Doctor got me an OK for a 30 day handicapped permit. Otherwise I limp three city blocks from where I can park my cage to where I teach. Of course the places I have to go to get the tag are closed on Mondays. :?

Big toe wasn't X-rayed. The doctor pointed out that since it's just the toe that's sore and black/blue that treatment for crack or strain would be the same: taping it to the two adjacent toes. Significant skin missing from elbow and knee areas. Doctor did professional job wrapping them up, and gave me some spare wraps. Pain med prescription if I want some, but I'm only in pain when I move, so probably won't fill it.

The 650 is being towed to my house. When it shows up I'll take the front apart and catalog the damage, maybe with some pictures.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Let me add my well wishes Dave to a speedy recovery. Glad to hear it was a slow speed accident and that you are basically ok. Hope you get Burgman replaced soon.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dave,

I would respectfully suggest you reconsider getting the pain meds filled. If you want to be Mr. Toughguy & do without, that's your perogative, but if you need them & don't have them you're gonna be in even worse shape than you can know (I speak from experience & I'm not trying to be insulting here, sometimes I really hate typing instead of speaking). Please get them, & keep at least one or two with you, they may mean the difference between getting home safe or alternatives I'd rather not go into.

I deal with neural pain so indescribable every minute of every day & I know intimately what it can do to you at the slightest provocation. The very nature of the injuries you described is why the doctor gave you that prescription. Don't do yourself an injustice because you're afraid of the big, bad drugs, or because you think you can tough it out. Particularly these first few days. As my doctor is so fond of reminding me: You're broken, & you're not 20 years old anymore.

Don't take them if you don't need them, but don't not take them if you do. If it works out that you don't take all or any of them, just flush 'em, you don't have to pay for them...the insurance company does.

I wish I were closer so I could offer a hand if you needed it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Wyld. My wife's a doctor and we already have some good pain meds in the house. I'm not afraid to take one when I need it. I've had some mighty pain to deal with in the past. These wounds are more an inconvenience than true pain. I will take some pain pills when I need them, trust me. I like to feel a little, to know when I'm doing something my body really doesn't want to. I had inflamed knees after moving a few tons of shop equipment across the country by myself, and could not walk. Very strong pain meds got me walking, but masked the additional damage I was doing to my knees being up on them. I ended up taking the pain meds, but NOT walking for a few weeks.

The 650 has been delivered home. The wrecker service was nice to park it in my garage for me. Front fairing including headlights now points 10 degrees to the right. The digital display is skewed that same 10 degrees. I got the key in, although the igniton shaft has a bend in it. With some wiggling I was able to push it in to get the trunk open. I had to work harder, but barely got the key over to START postition. The engine started right up! The front wheel looks straight with the handlebars. I think I could ride it if I had to, but the inner fairing display trim impedes the handlbars a bit.

It appears to have taken a good hit to re-aim the fairing. I can't get it to budge back the other way. Most of the outer front plastic has broken attachment points or severe cracks, especially on the right side. The inner handlebar pieces were dislodged, but appear whole and undamaged.

I'm sad. It was such a nice looking bike. :cry:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts