Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a Hot grueling day at work i went to start the Burg and it was dead as a door nail. I figured maybe the battery was just old and needed replacing. So while waiting for a friend to bring the jump box i did some reading and found a post about someone clicking too far when locking the wheel and his battery going dead. Well low and behold i did the same thing and never knew it had parking lights :confused: So my question is why does it have parking lights that you are able to remove key with?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I know they are there and am careful to check after I lock the steering but still yesterday when I wandered out into my driveway I saw the tail lights turned on. I had forgot to check and had gone to far with the key when locking my steering. Crap. Turned out that they were only on for about an hour. The Burgman recovered well.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have never left them on by accident but when I turn the key that way I have it pushed in while I do it and you can't get the key in the Park position with the key pushed in as you turn.

The position is there for two things. If you break down at night in a bad place having lights to warn other drivers that it's there is a good thing and on the '05-up bikes you can use the Hazard lights in the Park position with the key out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I liked the feature on the CB500X I rode in Thailand for 7 weeks, whereby with the hazard lights engaged one could remove the ignition key and the hazard lights remained flashing... useful feature IMO. I too have inadvertently switched the ignition key round to 'park' by mistake or unintentionally. Fortunately I have realised or seen this to be the case soon thereafter, but it would be nice if Suzuki had added a low draw LED onto the dash as a warning...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Easy to do, (but then I can also do difficult silly things)
I'm thinking about a two second buzzer when parking lights are selected.

The other easy one is the under seat light, I hadn't completely closed the seat one lunchtime, and left the bike all afternoon. Madame was not amused after her day's work, having to come out with the jump leads to my office. (That said your battery should do better than just an afternoon with the seat lamp on - so I changed the battery).

BTW Ozzy, I saw in one of your earlier posts that you were considering riding the Burgy into the ground.... I'll bet when you get your Burgman Smile going, you'll do all you can to make it last!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Great idea, it works in my car, except it keeps peeping if the door is open and the parking light is on.

It also has a dedicated controller to turn off the radio, interior light and power outlet after a certain time and at a certain battery level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easy to do, (but then I can also do difficult silly things)

The other easy one is the under seat light, I hadn't completely closed the seat one lunchtime, and left the bike all afternoon. Madame was not amused after her day's work, having to come out with the jump leads to my office. (That said your battery should do better than just an afternoon with the seat lamp on - so I changed the battery).

BTW Ozzy, I saw in one of your earlier posts that you were considering riding the Burgy into the ground.... I'll bet when you get your Burgman Smile going, you'll do all you can to make it last!
Must be a different ozzy cause I baby my stuff :) Last bike I had for 10 years and still looked like new when I sold it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have never left them on by accident but when I turn the key that way I have it pushed in while I do it and you can't get the key in the Park position with the key pushed in as you turn.

The position is there for two things. If you break down at night in a bad place having lights to warn other drivers that it's there is a good thing and on the '05-up bikes you can use the Hazard lights in the Park position with the key out.
Didn't know either of these things. If it wasn't pouring rain, I would go out and verify that this works on my '09. But the rain is coming down sideways, so I think I will wait a while.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Live and learn i guess. Any other odd things like this i should watch for?
Been there, done that. Been there, done that. Been there, done that.

Tip: leave your turn signal switch in the on position. If you turn your key too far while locking your forks, the flashing signal will tell you the hazard lights are on too.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Tip: leave your turn signal switch in the on position. If you turn your key too far while locking your forks, the flashing signal will tell you the hazard lights are on too.
Only on the '05-up the '03-'04 the Hazards don't work in the Park position. :)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Didn't know either of these things. If it wasn't pouring rain, I would go out and verify that this works on my '09. But the rain is coming down sideways, so I think I will wait a while.
Works on my '03, '05, '06, and '09 :D

Just a tangential thought. If you change the lights to led bulbs less chance of draining the battery,
Yup and they will run longer on the battery if you need them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It works... just went to double check my K7 in the garage and found that indeed pushing the key whilst turning it anticlockwise the ignition barrel didn't/wouldn't turn to the park position, but, any slight of hand as the key is withdrawn from the key-way can inadvertently cause the ignition to switch to 'park' so it's a fine line between the two.

The flashers/hazard lights remain on when activated if one turns the ignition key to park, even when key is removed. The flip side though is that should one intentionally do so I'd not have that much faith in how long the battery might last over an extended period of time (whatever period vs time might be) given that the hazard lights and tail lights remain on 'together'. Replacing bulbs with LED's might be worthwhile, but unsure whether it's possible to buy replacement LED bulbs that imitate dual filaments for the tail/stop bulbs. I've only seen single 'filament' LED's but then that might be as a consequence of me not looking for the alternatives.

One of the good things is that with the hazard lights activated, one could use this function as an 'indicator' when one uses the steering/fork lock and removes key since the hazard lights will only remain on if the key has been inadvertently turned to 'park', and not so for steering/fork lock.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great MJR... here's the link for the same bulbs available here in PR China Taobao LED search

Note the difference in pricing...

I'll have my assistant buy a set for the K7 brake/tail combination on Monday. Has anyone replaced the indicator (turn signal) bulbs too with LED's and if so, what with... I'll look at a set of replacement for them too.

Speaking of LED's I tried out a pair of LED replacement headlight bulbs for my CF650TR here in PR China, but despite being bright the lights offered little to no penetration so I swapped to HIDs.
CF650TR HID light upgrade

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Great MJR... here's the link for the same bulbs available here in PR China Taobao LED search

Note the difference in pricing...

I'll have my assistant buy a set for the K7 brake/tail combination on Monday. Has anyone replaced the indicator (turn signal) bulbs too with LED's and if so, what with... I'll look at a set of replacement for them too.

Speaking of LED's I tried out a pair of LED replacement headlight bulbs for my CF650TR here in PR China, but despite being bright the lights offered little to no penetration so I swapped to HIDs.
CF650TR HID light upgrade
While they may look the same there is a huge difference in LED bulbs brightness, quality, and durability. I have purchased more than a few over the years and have always been disappointed except those from SuperBrightLEDs. Just holding them in hand you can feel the cheap ones for what they are. The ones I used have built in heatsinks.

I also used the same kind in amber 1156 style for the rear turns and in front used the amber 1157 with added wiring and sockets.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oh absolutely... I wasn't referring to the pricing between the set you are looking at purchasing MJR and what is available here, more the price range on Taobao. I've been here in China for more than a decade and know only too well the huge and I do mean huge range in terms of 'quality' vz a vz prices. It's also one of the major concerns and issues given that international manufacturers are usually found operating here, but one is often unable to buy/find their respective products available in the domestic market.

I find myself in a head spin in NZ when I shop in any number of shops e.g. auto part and accessory stores, by the range and amount of choice, only to find that most products are 'Made in China' yet I cannot find the same product available here. Mind though that China is a massive country and it is likely that the same product can be found at the local level provided one is shopping in the right locale.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Oh absolutely... I wasn't referring to the pricing between the set you are looking at purchasing MJR and what is available here, more the price range on Taobao. I've been here in China for more than a decade and know only too well the huge and I do mean huge range in terms of 'quality' vz a vz prices. It's also one of the major concerns and issues given that international manufacturers are usually found operating here, but one is often unable to buy/find their respective products available in the domestic market.

I find myself in a head spin in NZ when I shop in any number of shops e.g. auto part and accessory stores, by the range and amount of choice, only to find that most products are 'Made in China' yet I cannot find the same product available here. Mind though that China is a massive country and it is likely that the same product can be found at the local level provided one is shopping in the right locale.
I've purchased them before and already installed them in my '03. :) Now if I could find the manufacterer and buy direct to save some money that would be nice but at this point its worth the extra money because otherwise I would have to buy others just to see and then end up not using them (I've got several already). A good guideline in looking for LED bulbs is the light output in lumens. The red ones I bought are 30 lumens on low and 120 lumens on high and the amber are 30 lumens on low and 110 lumens on high. Anything below that is basically a waste of money and if they do not list the light output I would stay away from them.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/79505-road-again.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts