Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual says that parking under the hot sun might cause damage and that it's better to park in the shade.

But where I work, there is no shade to park under. Does that mean I need to buy a cover and use it whenever I go places?

How hot does it have to be before damage occurs?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Strange things can happen just from the sun passing through the windscreen. At the wrong angle, the windscreen can act like a magnifying glass - I've seen plenty of melted spots on motorcylce dashs from that. Over time, intense sunlight isn't so good for any of the painted, rubber, vinyl or black plastic surfaces.

You can get by with a half cover. It will cover the windscreen, dash area, seat, etc - it just doesn't come all the way down to the ground. It will shade most of the scooter though, and even keep the dash & seat dry if it rains. The good thing about a half cover is that they fold up very compactly & don't take up much space in your trunk.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Being in Vancouver, though, you may not have to worry so much. I know that you're in one of the more hot and balmy locations in Canada, but hey, it's still Canada. :wink: I think the folks in Florida and Arizona probably have more to worry about.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was wondering. Most of the time through the summer the temps range from 70s to 80s. There may only be just the occasional week where temperatures approach the upper 80s.

I just don't ever recall seeing any motorcycle parked out at the mall with a cover on.

I want to be carefull, but I don't want to be overly paranoid either.

I guess a half cover sounds like a good compromise. It should protect against dive bombers, too :wink:.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
We get up to 95 here for about a 2week period. I have a cover but only use it in winter to keep the dust off during storage. I would think it's more of a concern in places like Arizona. I do garage mine, but for day trips and weekends, it stays out in summer with no issues with heat.
If you think about, there is more heat, riding it, than parking it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Parking

I think the main concern is the windshield as mentioned before. I just make sure I park the rear end towards the south whenever I can. That way, as the sun goes by it isn't shining through the windshield.

~Tom

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Isn't the sun in the southern sky here in the northen hemisphere? I would think it would shine more on the dash and handlebars, etc. through the windshield that way?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Jim said:
If you think about, there is more heat, riding it, than parking it
In the drivetrain area, yes. But when you're moving the air is circulating and the body plastic, windscreen, dash, etc., are cooler. It's when it's parked in the sun with fairly stagnant air that the plastic parts will heat up the most.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Selias said:
Isn't the sun in the southern sky here in the northen hemisphere? I would think it would shine more on the dash and handlebars, etc. through the windshield that way?
Yes, the sun will shine down on the ass end and on the handlebars, but not through the windshield. It's getting tricky now that the sun is taking a more northerly track. But, I'm finding that if I tilt the fron wheel westward during the day does the trick.

I might not be making sense... at any rate, I just part the ass end at a 90 deg angle of the track of the sun if at all possible.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Gotta love my mom. I have a Laminar Lip and my father has a Clearview on his Helix. Both will cause melting of the dashboard if parked in the sun because of the angle of the sun. But my mother, being the inventive sort that she is, takes an old Tshirt, and cuts the sleaves off. Then she sews the arms and neck shut and PRESTO, home made windshield cover.

The only ill effects that my bike suffers from the Sun is the seat turning into a frying pan. God, I hate that!!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I leave my sheepskin cover in my trunk and toss it on before riding. Takes about 10 seconds and gives me an excuse to idle the bike for a bit before taking off. Instant cool.
Nice idea for a windshield cover, bechtoea! Thanks Mom!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I remember Orange, CA. I was stationed at the Presidio of Monterey for awhile, and lived in Pacific Grove. That was a long time back though.

For a half cover, and the purpose you are buying it for, I'd go with the cheapest price. Google - or check some motorcycle accessories places online. I bought a noname half cover at Scootercade. I don't use it all that often, but it works fine.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Jim said:
I would think it's more of a concern in places like Arizona....
Sure, thanks, Jim, for giving me one MORE thing to worry about regarding the heat here in Arizona...

Guess I'll be buying a cover soon.

Thanks goodness my workplace has a covered garage with little triangle spaces for bikes. Get's crowded in the winter time though...!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Stargazer said:
The owner's manual says that parking under the hot sun might cause damage and that it's better to park in the shade.

But where I work, there is no shade to park under. Does that mean I need to buy a cover and use it whenever I go places?
Hmm... A blood red Burger that can't stand the sun. Sounds like you found a name .... Dracula! :p

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
bechtoea said:
But my mother, being the inventive sort that she is, takes an old Tshirt, and cuts the sleaves off. Then she sews the arms and neck shut and PRESTO, home made windshield cover.

The only ill effects that my bike suffers from the Sun is the seat turning into a frying pan. God, I hate that!!!
God bless your Mom! What a great idea.
As to your hot seat, try throwing an old light-colored towel over the seat when you park the bike. Really helps a lot.

Don

·
Registered
806 Posts
I will pass on all of your accolades to my Mom. Also, don't forego the chance to put a cool iron on the Tshirt. My old one had a Helix on the shirt. Kinda cool, really.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I park my 400 outside my work, and it's often in direct sunlight. May not be the best idea, I guess, since I want it to stay all purty and stuff. I actually cover it every night, and I cover it if it's not sitting right outside my window. Not because of the sun, but because I don't want anyone messing with it, and people are much less likely to get curious if they have to lift a bike cover to see what's underneath rather than just sitting down to try it out or pulling on my box handles and storage flaps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts