Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Suzuki engineers (and everyone else) - perhaps it would add more security to the Burgman if the parking brake, when pulled to lock, would be immovable when the key is turned and removed.

I always lock the handlebars to the left, but the bike can still be moved, correct? I've not actually tested this, but am pretty sure someone could move the bike in a circle, and perhaps up a ramp into a truck. They may have to lift the front end occasionally to do so, but I think it is possible...Or, as someone else mentioned, they may put the front tire on a skateboard or other similar device. If the rearwheel was locked, I think this would be much more difficult - can you imagine balancing the Burgman on two skateboards or one long board while pulling it up into a truck? Sure, it's possible, but much more difficult than it may be worth...

This concerns me a bit since I park in a parking garage that is a bit low on security.

Do any bikes have this locking ability? (brake lock is on until key is put into ignition...)

flint

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
off the top of my head I can not think of another bike with a parking brake, your idea has merit except if they want the bike they don't lift the front wheel, or put a skate board under the wheel.. They just lift the whole bike put it in the van or p/u and there gone in less then 35 seconds .. And I know this as a fact, I had a bike stolen from a wal-mart parking lot and the outside cameras recorded it all -
A 1999 Honda shadow (600) weights as much as our Burgman--never saw it again :cry:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The "professional" thieves have also been known to back a tow truck up, drop a sling around the bike, raise it, and drive off. Just takes seconds. These thieves are not worried about putting a few scratches on the bodywork. They are not going to keep or sell the bike. What they are going to do in most cases is part it out. It is headed for a chop shop. Even if you have a pager type security device, odds are that you'll get there long after they are gone.

The other variety of thief is the joy rider, usually a young kid. Again, they do not mind doing some damage to steal it - breaking the fork lock and hot wiring the ignition is common with them. Their intent is to ride the hell out of the bike for a few hours, then trash it and abandon it. My wife had a street motorcycle stolen like that some years ago. They took it into the woods and totally abused it, then dumped it into a ravine. It was eventually recovered by the police, but it was a total mess. I was glad when the insurance company totalled it - I would not have wanted it back.
Devices like the ignition keyhole cover and a kryptonite lock can deter these kids, simply because they can easily find another bike that is easier to steal. I have a disk brake lock, which is harder to defeat than a cable (which can be cut). Problem is, I seldom use these devices. I should, but I guess I'm just to lazy. And if you put a lock on the front disk and forget that it is there, you are in for an unpleasant surprise when you try to ride off.

·
Registered
747 Posts
flintbobbi,

My 650 was stolen with brake on on side stand in a tight driveway next to parked car with chained gates .... if they wont it they will take it ...

Greg ...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greg said:
flintbobbi,

My 650 was stolen with brake on on side stand in a tight driveway next to parked car with chained gates .... if they wont it they will take it ...

Greg ...
Ditto what Greg said: They want it, their gonna get it...

·
Registered
258 Posts
use a BIG chain

watching police videos in seoul of thieves with two by fours just slot one each through the wheels then 4 guys lift it into the back of a bongo truck convinced me that I needed to protect my machine better. I bought a 3/8 dia. link, 10 foot long chain. yes it is heavy, but it does deter the thief who wants to work fast. when the chain is fastened to a concrete post and locked by a half inch strut titanium lock it just isn't going to be snatched it a hurry. I will used the same thing on the 650 when we get back to the states.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Well, unless somebody really wanted to STEAL it, they would not know of the Burgman parking brake, eh?

What happens if they just lift it up on the back of wrecker. It WEIGHS 500+ lbs so it's not an easy lift for one or two thiefs. If they want it it'll get stolen no matter what. That is why you have INSURANCE.

:mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts