Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am now convinced of the need to wear proper protection when riding.
I have my new helmet, JR armoured jacket and gloves, western style boots, (I need the extra leg length provided), etc.), or I would buy some armoured boots too.

I just can't get around the pants problem.

I know armoured pants are available.
Do we need them?

I would like to be able to ride somewhere with (my wife or without), park the Burg, leave the helmets at least, if not the jacket and gloves and be able to shop or sightsee without looking like I just stepped down from the Starship Enterprise.

So I guess my bottomline question(s) is/are, do we really need to wear bulky armoured pants, and if so, what are the options.
Are light overpants with armour available?

Are most of these pants worn as the main pants or are you supposed to wear them over shorts (in summer) or regular slacks, jeans, etc, in cool weather.
How about the "stripping off" of the pants on the main street, Anytown?
Kind of awkward.
Would attract attention would it not? :)

I can see the advantage of having an extra pair of pants on in the cold weather, but then I would feel unprotected, comparitively, in the hot weather.

Lets discuss this one for a while.
What do you experienced riders wear?
What are the opinions and experiences of our members?

·
Registered
925 Posts
You could opt for a pair of Draggin' Jeans, or something like the Gericke
Mina pants, which are fairly lightweight and have armor in the knees.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wear jeans when I ride. From a protection standpoint they will not hold up more than a couple of seconds if you end up sliding down the asphalt. I am good about wearing everything else, but never got into wearing protective overpants. In the two crashes I've had in my long riding history I didn't slide far - more of a bounce & roll. But if you slide wearing regular jeans you are going to lose some skin. The Draggin' jeans previously mentioned have Kevlar, and should fair much better.

·
Registered
394 Posts
RoadGear

I have opted for RoadGear overpants to wear when I want extra protection. Usually, that means when it is cool or damp or when I'm commuting in rush hour traffic here in Minneapolis. Even though I probably should wear something like this all the time, when it is hot I stick with jeans.

Let me also say that I take them off as soon as I get were I'm going and store them under the seat. They do seem a bit silly to wear while walking around. Also, nobody seems to care that I'm stripping out of them in public. The only ones who ever stop to pay attention seem to be kids who are more interested in the Burgman than in my pants. :)

The RoadGear pants I chose were the Xcaliber model, which I got a real good deal on at the Motorcycle Show last year.

www.roadgear.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
What value on your safety ?
When you fall off a bike, in most cases your hip hits the ground along with your elbow and then your hands as you try to save yourself, then as you tumble over and over your knees,head and shoulders repeatedly hit the ground , add in a solid object and the requirement gets greater.
All this depends on the speed that you come off at but you can't bet on it being at slow speed.
My preference as posted on previous occasions is full leather with armour because I use my bikes to the full and that means going fast as well as slow. If you go fast at any time you need good protection.
I have come off at slow speed wearing jeans and although they did not wear through I had a dinner plate size bruise on my hip. I used to race motocross and had all the protection on but still broke my wrist and ankles and that was landing in dirt. The point here is that I was able to assess the damage to my protective gear and found that all my joints had impacted and scraped, my gloves were torn on the palm and my helmet was scratched all over. In addition I particularly noticed heavey scratches to the front of my helmet indicating that had it been open faced I would have suffered considerable face damage.
The conclusion is that if you don't wear protective gear you get hurt badly,if you wear protection of some sort you reduce the hurt, if you wear very good protection it can save your life.

Ian

·
Registered
857 Posts
I really like my Phoenix pants - they are mesh with a little armor by the hips and knees. Very tall leg zippers allow easy on and off - very easy. I unzip each side and then "step" with my right foot onto the collar of the left leg and pull my leg out. Then do the same with the other leg. Stow it under the seat with my jacket and gloves and i'm off.

I just feel safer, even a slow speed accident, wearing them. I had a very very slow speed accident where I basically fell over going about 5 mph up a small incline, and was not wearing them. Ended up with a bruised knee and ruined dress pants. It doesn't take much to take the skin off, and I think the armor will help a lot to protect from mild injury during a higher speed accident. Just my opinion, but if I can prevent a major bruise or road rash because of 30 seconds of putting them on, I will.

They are incredibly light and very comfortable in my opinion.

Here in AZ, they are perfect for all but the "cold" winter mornings below 50 degrees, and then I wear some light "windbreaker" type of sweatpants from Walmart underneath them.

I do get a few looks at work, but I ride almost every day to work - dress pants and shirt underneath my mesh pants and mesh jacket.

I like the idea of the draggin' jeans too, but will use my mesh for now.

flint

·
Registered
553 Posts
lilleyen said:
I can see the advantage of having an extra pair of pants on in the cold weather, but then I would feel unprotected, comparitively, in the hot weather.

Lets discuss this one for a while.
What do you experienced riders wear?
What are the opinions and experiences of our members?
Personally I have been wearing Carhart Bib overalls (insulated ones for the colder weather and noninsulated for the warmer weather) I think they are as good as leather, less expensive, and they cover all of your butt area where the leather chaps do not. They are also easy to get in and out of with the zippers down the side. when you get to where your going just unzip and take them off and store them under the seat. I also wear carhart coats/ jackets depending on the weather. And take them and store them as well.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've always considered chaps to be cruiser "poser gear". That's just the way they strike me. If you ended up sliding down the road on your backside, I think there is some vulnerability. Most of the chaps I've seen protect the front, but do not fully cover in back.

That said, someone wearing chaps is certainly better protected than me wearing jeans. But if I did decide to get leg protection, I think I would go with overpants or Kevlar reinforced jeans.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Chaps

Lynn and I wear chaps, primarily in the cold weather to have an extra layer of protection from the elements. I don't know whether we'll wear them in warmer weather. Last summer we just wore jeans.

I'm not concerned about a "Harley-esque" factor. Our buddies on non-Harleys wear them too. And frankly, I don't care what anyone else wears or whether people find it funny that I wear chaps on a scooter. A bike is a bike. I also wear an armored jacket, full-face helmet and riding boots.

Bryna

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am extremely opinionated about the subject of protective gear and find it best to stay away from discussing the subject (for the good of my blood pressure). With that being said, I offer only this little bit of information and leave you to wear what you choose to:

Not many people realise that most motorcycle injuries occur below the belt. (snipped) Kevlar reinforced jeans are better than normal jeans. Normal jeans last 0.6 seconds in the European standard abrasion test, while protective motorcycle pants will last 5 seconds or more. You don’t really want to be ripping your skin open within less than half a second of falling of your bike do you? Thought not.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have overpants on my list of stuff I want in the near future. I do wear chaps while on the scooter. Heck of a lot warmer than not having them. Except for the rump and other parts that aren't covered.
If I don't get the overpants then I'll get some draggin jeans with the additional armor. I'd prefer the overpants though. I could take them off. I just haven't found what I am looking for though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rick,

If I could find protective gear to wear for pants I would. Unfortunately I cannot find anything that fits. However I do wear Bohn lycra pants underneath my jeans. They are not the best protection, but I figure they are better than nothing. I have armour in the hips, tailbone, knees and shins. Most people do not know you even have them on. I think they would be good for the initial hit, but after that I don't know how much protection they would afford you, as there is some moveability in the armour. The pants also help to keep me warmer in winter.

I must confess though, that during the hot summer months of Georgia I only wear my jeans, jacket, full faced helmet, & gloves.

I hope that helps.

Evelyn

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Rick. Don't git yer skivvies in a wad.
The sun will rise tomorrow.
No matter how much kevlar or armor you have happnin' - remember this one thing...you are a fly on a windshield. Dude, if you hit a car, at speed, your butt is 'illin. period. If you ditch your bike at speed (or anytime) due to some kooky avoidance manuver, the bike is trashed (i think thats what happened to scubagirls..) and you may get hurt.
my opine?
wear a full face helmet, a good grade of gloves, long pants and sleeves. The rest is dependant on how much jack you have available to spend. I make do with layers, used leather, and a smidg of common sense. (I am looking hard at those kevlar jeans tho... :wink: )
just my 2 bits.
pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts