Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new Burgman 400 as a commuter. Love it! This is dumb question #1, but I have to wear street clothes, yes slacks shirt and tie to work. My pants legs are blown up by the wind so bad that by the time I get to work my cuffs are up around my knees! How do you keep your pants legs DOWN?

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Personally I never ride very far without wearing full gear. Before I retired last year I had to wear Business Casual attire at least. But that never stopped me from riding to work every day I could. Most of that commute was on Interstate road. By full gear I am talking textile armored jacket (mesh for hot days and solid shell with insulating liners for cold days), armored overpants (most better riding pants are worn OVER your street clothes), full faced helmet with skull cap liner (or beanie cap for those apposed to the word "skull" and they really do help reduce "helmet hair"), gloves appropriate for the weather, and armored motorcycle boots. Riding on 2 wheels is inherently dangerous enough without increasing the risk by riding unprotected. All of this is worn OVER my Business Casual clothes. I always kept my work shoes at work and simply took off my riding gear and swapped my boots for the shoes and was ready for work. No more than 3-4 minutes usually. The over pants WILL solve your problem, but would look rather silly without also wearing the other gear. I know there is a cost to buying this gear but if you are serious about riding on 2 wheels I consider it part and parcel of the activity... like wearing the the full uniform including shoulder pads and helmet if you want to officially play US NFL Football.

I know about the romantic idea of riding a scooter like Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, but that's just silly and not realistic if you want safety and practical... as you are discovering with your pant legs up to your knees. Good thing you don't wear a Kilt! :oops: :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I wear my cold wave winter overalls I use rubber bands around the tops of my hiking boots to keep the wind from blowing up my legs. Its cheap, it works and they are readily available.

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
A cheap set of two sizes larger Rain pants worked for me. Easy on and off and the cuff's had velcro straps

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Buy a roll of Velcro strap and cut to length to wrap around your pants cuffs. If I wear long pants riding the bicycle I do this to keep pants out of the chain.

But, as said, proper gear would be best. If you can possibly swing it, look into Aerostich riding suits. Certainly not inexpensive, but we'll made, good protection and easy on and off.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Velcro straps as G-Dub said is the cheapest solution. Or even scotch tape, tucking pants into socks. Or rain paints like frogg toggs. When theres rain and i need to ride my bicycle (no choice) I use scatch tape on my rain pants for the exact reason G-Dub mentioned so it doesn't get ripped/dirty from chain/sprocket

·
Registered
346 Posts
CycleGear has a lot of riding gear - mesh pants with armor can be found on sale for less than $100. (Jackets, too!)

I always wore mine, even on short trips. Hot weather - I unzip the wind/rain insert.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
First off, if your pants are riding up your legs like that, you've got very light fabric which is absolutely useless in a fall. And always remember the rough rule of thumb.... for every 10 kph ( 6 mph) of speed, if you fall and slide you'll lose 1 mm of skin/flesh. So even a 30 mph slide will cost you 5 mm of skin and flesh. Go grab a ruler and have a look at how much that is (about 3/8th of an inch). So what I do is wear heavy riding overpants for my ride to work. Takes 30 seconds to pull them on or off.

Or if you really insist on riding anyway, stop in a bicycle shop and look for a pair of spring steel pant leg clips. Wore these as a kid to keep my pants off the oily bicycle chain, but they also work really well for light pants on a motorcycle. Any bike shop should have them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a brand new Burgman 400 as a commuter. Love it! This is dumb question #1, but I have to wear street clothes, yes slacks shirt and tie to work. My pants legs are blown up by the wind so bad that by the time I get to work my cuffs are up around my knees! How do you keep your pants legs DOWN?

These work great.
Boncas Sturdy Adjustable Elastic Boot Straps Motorcycle Pant Clips Bicycle Stirrups Straps Keeping Your Pants Tucked https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GWJ4GF5/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_j2.CEbDGJ05N9

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
@dfbergeron , was there a comment you intended to include with that quoted post?
Usually you would quote a post to highlight comments you make about the quoted section.

On closer inspection of the original post and your quoted post I see you included your comments INSIDE the quote codes. Perhaps in the future, it would make more sense or be less confusing if you add your comments totally outside the quote codes... either after or before. Also note, it's not a good idea to mess with removing or changing the quote codes [stuff between the square brackets] which would only serve to remove the indication that it is a quoted post. Just thought you should know. :)

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a pair of xxl scrubs that I pulled on over my slacks. Had the added effect of keeping road grit and other flotsam and jetsam off my slacks as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts