Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here bothered to remove the PAIR valve from the Burgman? Is this a fairly easy job? Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
PAIR Valve

First question why would you want to and what would it gain? That looks to be part of the crank case blow-by recirculation system and would not gain any preformance also leaving you with what to do wiih blow-by gases.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PAIR valve is a pulse air injection system that blows raw air into your exhaust ports, kind of like a smog pump. This system typically induces backfires and slaves air from your intake, either through your breather or your intake port. On the V* I currently have it also produced a very uneven carb sync due to the fact that it only pulled out of the front intake port. At the very least its just dead weight on the bike. They are usually easy to remove. I dont understand why they would feed the crank case vent into this system as you would not want the possibility of blowing oil into your exhaust port.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Basically, my take on this is that you don't fix what is not broken. The AN650 runs great - no driveability issues like surging or excessive backfiring. I'm not at all tempted to look into removing this part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pauljo said:
Basically, my take on this is that you don't fix what is not broken. The AN650 runs great - no driveability issues like surging or excessive backfiring. I'm not at all tempted to look into removing this part.
Thats cool, I respect that philosophy, but your stock exhaust wasnt broke and you fixed that. Which by the way I feel was a major improvement.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For what it's worth (very little I am sure :) ) I agree with both theories
On the one hand if it's not broke leave it alone.
On the other hand almost anything can be made better.
And on the other hand I have to much time on my hands. :(

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
G said:
pauljo said:
Thats cool, I respect that philosophy, but your stock exhaust wasnt broke and you fixed that. Which by the way I feel was a major improvement.
My stock exhaust was broke. No sound was coming out of it. :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Randy said:
For what it's worth (very little I am sure :) ) I agree with both theories
On the one hand if it's not broke leave it alone.
On the other hand almost anything can be made better.
And on the other hand I have to much time on my hands. :(
Well what about if its it working fine.................strip it down, tinker a bit and find out why! :wink:

·
Registered
128 Posts
PAIR

G I have to assume you are refering to a 650 and that you have a US model that being correct then where do you see that system having any thing to do with the exhaust?
I went back and looked again thinking I missed something nope all that system does is control the air into the crank case and back out to be run through the engin to be burned in the normal combustion then it goes out the exhaust not injected down stream in any way. However some other models outside the US do have a different set -up where they do run into the exhaust down stream from the engin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: PAIR

magyver said:
G I have to assume you are refering to a 650 and that you have a US model that being correct then where do you see that system having any thing to do with the exhaust?
I went back and looked again thinking I missed something nope all that system does is control the air into the crank case and back out to be run through the engin to be burned in the normal combustion then it goes out the exhaust not injected down stream in any way. However some other models outside the US do have a different set -up where they do run into the exhaust down stream from the engin.
I am refering to the Burgman650. I dont have one yet but I am interested in this new super scoot movement, because they seem to offer more of what Im looking for than any other ride. I got the information from the offical Suzuki web site. If you look under scooters then go to the Burg650 then look under features, in the engine section it list the PAIR valve. This system does not inject into the intake side for combustion as that would defeat the purpose of it. I havent had a first hand look at the system on the burgman so I cant explain the routing. However I have seen bikes that route the external lines to the intake side of the head "LC1500/C90 & Warrior, just to name a few" only to have an extended internal port directly to the exhaust port side of the head. All the import manufactures have a sytem like this, in which raw air is injected into the exhaust port for EPA emission purposes. The system is usually easy to remove or bypass causing no harm to the bike but in many ways improving performance and eliminating clutter. Just curious if anyone has removed this in case I go with the Burg650.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Information regarding blocking off the Pair Valve can be found on the Yahoo Burgman 650 Group (message 1383). This is done mainly to decrease the backfiring on decceleration, which can be quite loud if an aftermarket exhaust is fitted. Blocking off the Pair valve is achieved by disconnecting the rubber hose from the Pair valve and blocking it with a golf tee or something similar. I don't know of any other benefits.

Cheers,

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts