Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
outside of powder coating the rims what can i wash the rims with to help make the paint stick. i want to paint the swing arm and rims black. i did this on the last 650 but some spots the paint flaked off. i did not pretreat them because i figured the clear coat would help like a primer. guessed wrong there. thanks bp.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Simple Green makes a paint degauser that works well.
There is also paint made just for rims that might hold up better too.

Good luck and post pics when your done.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I usually wash whatever part I am painting with water and soap, let it dry and then give it a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol which doesn't leave any residue, evaporates quickly and leaves a very clean surface behind. You can pick-up a big bottle of rubbing alcohol at walmart, targer etc.. for around $1.50.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have used a product from Klean-Strip named Prep-All for years with very good results, after a good cleaning with Simple Green, Purple Power or similar.

For paint Duplicolor's rattle-can wheel paint holds up very well and is easy to shoot, tough and adheres quite well. They have a clear coat too. I used it (the Graphite color) on the rear wheel on my 400 just a while back, front comes next when I get ambitious:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I saw on Burgmanriders.com that Corvairbob went with dupli-color rattlecan spray paint.

If cars rust badly in Michigan, it's a good thing that you can easily repair spray paint, because you're gonna need to repair it regularly.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have used it for 10+ years on all sorts of "stuff"...

1990 Miata wheel (no clear coat):

1992 Miata wheel (no clear coat):

2003 Mustang wheel (with clear coat):

2003 Mustang center console (no clear coat):

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
How tough is the Atlantic coast climate in St. Augustine Fl. on cars?

Which reminds me of a question I've been longing to ask for many years: Do people from rust-plagued areas of USA go to non-rust-plagued states to purchase older special interest cars, where the local specimens are long gone?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
ErikDK said:
How tough is the Atlantic coast climate in St. Augustine Fl. on cars?

Which reminds me of a question I've been longing to ask for many years: Do people from rust-plagued areas of USA go to non-rust-plagued states to purchase older special interest cars, where the local specimens are long gone?
We live on the inland shore of the Intracoastal Waterway, 1-1/2 miles West of the ocean with a large island between us and the Atlantic. This makes the salt air not much of an issue, however right on the coast it is an issue and automotive finishes are one of the first victims.

No snow or ice here so cars do not rust as they do "up north", my '03 Mustang has been a Florida car its whole life and has no rust, or signs of rust anywhere.

And yes, it is common for people to come here and buy used cars, not just collectibles but even just drive down for vacation and drive back in another car. The sleazy used car lots are full of "imported" rust-buckets--many with the holes hastily plugged, and repainted. Caveat Emptor is rule #1...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts