Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of doing this as I think it looks a little out of place where the painted body stops and this gray begins, reminds me of the Honda Elements. Nothing majorly wrong with it but I'd rather it all was painted.

Would any good body shop have trouble matching the factory gray with blue flake in it? What should it cost?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
that is a very easy project that you can do yourself.

find the paint code for your model year and order a spray can of it.
get a can a primer that is made to work with the spray can paint, decide on gloss vs semi-gloss or flat

get some rostoleum plastic primer....

take the rear fender off

wash it and then degrease it thoroughly

apply the rostoleum and let it dry for a day

apply the paint and let it dry,,, do a few think layers

apply a few thin coats of the clear coat.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not so sure that it would blend in with the rest of the factory paint job if I tried it myself.

I've seen your tutorial for extending the front fender. What is the purpose of this? I have seen fender extensions on ebay as well. Is there a lack of coverage from the front fender?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Scotty1981 said:
I am not so sure that it would blend in with the rest of the factory paint job if I tried it myself.

I've seen your tutorial for extending the front fender. What is the purpose of this? I have seen fender extensions on ebay as well. Is there a lack of coverage from the front fender?
Some people think that the rear of the front fender is NOT long enough and dirt and mud may be thrown up into the engine air filter located directly behind it.!! SO- they have added a "mud flap"...........

·
Administrator
18,321 Posts
The front extension will keep crud out of the radiator.

Some of us have done a "Fenderectomie" that helps with the looks some.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Dave_J said:

Dave.........!!!!!!!! So sorry - BUT it is spelled "fenderectomy" which literally - means - REMOVAL OF THE FENDER......!!! Like an appendectomy - when your appendix is removed. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Scotty1981 said:
well the paint shops buy their paint from the same suppliers... they don't mix it to match... unless it is a custom job of sorts....

the mud deflector helps keep your radiator free of gunk and probably extend its life...

·
Administrator
18,321 Posts
Dave_J said:

v8eyedoc said:
Dave.........!!!!!!!! So sorry - BUT it is spelled "fenderectomy" which literally - means - REMOVAL OF THE FENDER......!!! Like an appendectomy - when your appendix is removed. :lol: :lol:
It must have been that double Bypass Lobotomy I had last year. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Use some of the automobile bumper paint, it will be flexible enough not to crack. :wink:
To pick your color match ride by a couple of parking lots or car lots and match as best as you can to similar color car.
Get the make and model and your set.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scootereno said:
Use some of the automobile bumper paint, it will be flexible enough not to crack. :wink:
To pick your color match ride by a couple of parking lots or car lots and match as best as you can to similar color car.

The gray will be easy but it won't have the blue flake I think.

·
Administrator
18,321 Posts
You could find a good contrasting color and shot all the blackish gray parts. But like said above, it must be plasticized paint so it will flex with the plastic. On my Gold 08, I thought about shooting the dark parts silver.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Scotty, I painted my Givi 50 liter box to match my scooter. The box has about the same amount of flex as your rear bumper, so if you really want to match it to the bike, you need to go to ColorRIte and look at the paint match to your bike (color code YWC), and order the complete spray kit ($115.60 + shipping). It has everything you need for a very professional job. I tried to match my metallic paint here in Columbus at the Sherwin Williams auto paint store on E. Main Street, and they couldn't even come close. Like your color, mine has metallic flakes in it that shows when the sun hits it right. After I finished the job, I couldn't tell the difference between the Suzuki paint and the ColorRite. Once you get the paint, remember to take your time. This isn't a project that you can start on Saturday morning and have complete that evening. I'm posting a few pics of how mine turned out, and I have never tried this type of painting before in my life. If you want to do this, I'll be more than glad to coach you through this. I think you still have my phone number.
[attachment=1:3d11r9v0]Top Box 1.jpg[/attachment:3d11r9v0]
[attachment=0:3d11r9v0]Top Box 2.jpg[/attachment:3d11r9v0]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Scotty1981 said:
Scootereno said:

The gray will be easy but it won't have the blue flake I think.
Top coat it with dupli-color sparkle - It is a clear coat metal flake finish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts