1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, the gray CVT cover,
2008 AN400
Thinking of satin black.
What paint would you use? I was thinking of Fusion.
But I once painted black window trim of my Saturn, with Fusion, it held up for a couple years then weathered.
What prep would you do? Scuff with green Scotch brite pad?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mitch has a video of doing this exact thing. I had deep scratches in mine. I paited it with matte black Fusion I bought from Lowes. Clean it with degreaser and sand it with 220 moving on to a wet sand with 360. Fill any scratches or dings with glazing putty or a light coat of Bondo and sand out. I like to put the spray can into a plastic yogurt container. Fill the container with water and remove the can of paint. Microwave the container of water for 2 minutes, and let the paint sit in it while you are setting up the cover to paint. Be sure to shake the daylights out of the can. Do a real light first coat shooting for 50% or better coverage. I set the microwave timer for 10 minutes between coats.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I painted mine on the b400. incredibly difficult amount of prep work needed. started with 400 grit, then 800 grit then primer filler, let dry, wet sand with 600, then 1000. I also used plastic body filler to get those hard edged scratches. in between I always wipe down with alcohol. also I make sure the can and plastic are warmish. I put the can in some warmish water and let it sit 30 minutes. shake can really well.

I used fusion . its good. I cant remember if duplicolor has for polastics but their other paints are stellar. rustoleum 2x is terrible experience for me. it never seems to dry. it gets dry but always so soft and so east to mark. theyre gloss is not compatible with their gloss coating. I wanted more gloss as the one from the can does not look gloss. its just a bit. so let the black gloss paint dry 2 weeks then came to add just more gloss using their glass., within a few minutes the whole paint bubbled up and was ruined. I did this 3 times and everytime it bubbled up.I thought I had done something wrong but it wasnt me. its a pita to sand down to respray as it stays tacky and soft for so long. months later and you can feel your nail could easy make a mark in it.

if you have gloss paint oem then use gloss paint as well on the cover. I tried to paint everything black on the b400. black paint makes you stealth and 10mph extra top speed. proven

·
Registered
898 Posts
I use special purpose spray PLASTIC PRIMER (adhesion promoter),
Use minimum thickness of spray. Just enough to achieve even cover, over several applications.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I painted mine on the b400. incredibly difficult amount of prep work needed. started with 400 grit, then 800 grit then primer filler, let dry, wet sand with 600, then 1000. I also used plastic body filler to get those hard edged scratches. in between I always wipe down with alcohol. also I make sure the can and plastic are warmish. I put the can in some warmish water and let it sit 30 minutes. shake can really well.

I used fusion . its good. I cant remember if duplicolor has for polastics but their other paints are stellar. rustoleum 2x is terrible experience for me. it never seems to dry. it gets dry but always so soft and so east to mark. theyre gloss is not compatible with their gloss coating. I wanted more gloss as the one from the can does not look gloss. its just a bit. so let the black gloss paint dry 2 weeks then came to add just more gloss using their glass., within a few minutes the whole paint bubbled up and was ruined. I did this 3 times and everytime it bubbled up.I thought I had done something wrong but it wasnt me. its a pita to sand down to respray as it stays tacky and soft for so long. months later and you can feel your nail could easy make a mark in it.

if you have gloss paint oem then use gloss paint as well on the cover. I tried to paint everything black on the b400. black paint makes you stealth and 10mph extra top speed. proven
Rust-Oleum paint has a fish oil base that's what makes it rust resistant. Never never use on something you'll need or wish to repaint. Once painted with product it is also no longer a candidate for any type of sand blasting. Paint removal near impossible, never use on anything automotive or motorsport stuff. Barn hinges ok.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rust-Oleum paint has a fish oil base that's what makes it rust resistant. Never never use on something you'll need or wish to repaint. Once painted with product it is also no longer a candidate for any type of sand blasting. Paint removal near impossible, never use on anything automotive or motorsport stuff. Barn hinges ok.
This is a bunch of malarkey. I've used Rustoleum high performance enamel on hard plastic scooter parts for years. I've done color changes on the same panels later. I've gone over them with Krylon and other bands of spray paint. As long as you follow the directions on the can for dry time and re-coating, you should be fine.
Plant Font Liquid Screenshot Brand

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
I have used Rust-Oleum on many projects over the years and NEVER has issues sanding and re-spraying a different color.

First paint is Rust-Oleum Blue but wanted a different color
Engineering Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

Then went with Crylon RED over the top.
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Hood

Reactions: fotram

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
This is a bunch of malarkey. I've used Rustoleum high performance enamel on hard plastic scooter parts for years. I've done color changes on the same panels later. I've gone over them with Krylon and other bands of spray paint. As long as you follow the directions on the can for dry time and re-coating, you should be fine.
View attachment 97102
  • Plastics Are not one of it's approved uses, I wonder why? Well any way they do!
    Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

·
Registered
898 Posts
"For exterior/interior surfaces INCLUDING.....

Does it state EXcluding XXXX anywhere on the can? :unsure:

OR, If that's no good, then you could always try......Rust-Oleum PLASTIC PRIMER,
and Rust-Oeum ALL surface spray paint.
Liquid Product Fluid Font Gas
Liquid Fluid Ingredient Font Rectangle
..:)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
there are two rustoleum products I used together that causes bubbling. its the rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X gloss paint and just the clear gloss on top. its specifically for plastics. takes forever to dry solid. its soft for way too long.

I once let the black paint dry 3 months and the second I used the clear gloss coating spray, it bubbled. I did use the black matte finish and then added gloss on top of that and that worked fine so something incompatible between the 2 that caused it.

I didnt use 2 different colors as Dave J noted. it was a black gloss can, and then wanting to add more gloss, I used only the clear gloss can which caused the bubbling.

I did use enamel regular paint after from duplicolor and its really nice to spray on. worked great. like BlueStrom mentioned, plastic primer is important, which I used.
biggest problem to outcome is paint not being warm enough so will cause much more orange peel. and prep.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Of course, if you're painting painted plastic and you just scuff the surface and don't take it all the way down, you're really just painting paint, and not plastic. If it's thin plastic that can bend, flexibility issues can come into play.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK.
Lightly wet sanded it (cvt cover) with 400.
Used Krylon Fusion 5X satin. Good adhesion.
Reshot Krylon matte black.
I didn't put a lot of effort into prep.
It's a good 15 ft. paint job 😃
Might reshoot this spring with a more flat black. To hide the owies better.

Reactions: Dave_J and G-Dub
1 - 12 of 12 Posts