Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much paint is needed to paint the 650 burgman? I sure would like to paint mine another color.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Depends on the type of paint gun you're using. I've used painting kits from The Coating Store on Ebay. Look up motorcycle paint kit they contain 4.5 quarts of product. Pretty good stuff and reasonably priced. I've shot a few bikes using a Harbor Freight HVLP gun and have had pretty good success for a rank amateur.
Greg

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just painted my 400 with 1 pint and had some left over. It was $62. Now, that's just the color. You need hardener and reducer, too - I already had that.
That's if you only have a single stage paint.
With a 2-stage ( base coat/clear coat), you need hardener and reducer for each. It can run into some money.

As greginnm said, depending on the type sprayer you have access to is another consideration. A conventional sprayer (with a compressor) uses a LOT more paint - it blows it into the atmosphere trying to atomize it. I use a true HVLP and it uses 30% less paint than conventional.
to answer the original question, you will probably have to buy a quart of color. Then, the paint store will sell you whatever you need for the particular paint you get.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you paint it a different color, it will hurt the resale value the same as it does a car. Also, keep in mind that every nick and scratch will expose the original color until you touch it up.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
If you paint it a different color, it will hurt the resale value the same as it does a car. Also, keep in mind that every nick and scratch will expose the original color until you touch it up.
Really? I've sold a lot of bikes for a profit and have painted all of them non-factory colors. Usually just a rattle can paint job too. :rolleyes:
I really have not found many "Purist's" with motorcycle but more so with cars. Bikes are made to personalize but some do it in a hideous fashion and yes that will effect the resale value.
After all not everyone wants a Fushia bike.:love1:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ooooohhhhh Fast and Fushia!!! Now THERE is a color choice for those secure in their manliness! LOL

Greg

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Really? I've sold a lot of bikes for a profit and have painted all of them non-factory colors. Usually just a rattle can paint job too. :rolleyes:
I really have not found many "Purist's" with motorcycle but more so with cars. Bikes are made to personalize but some do it in a hideous fashion and yes that will effect the resale value.
After all not everyone wants a Fushia bike.:love1:
I think we are talking about a different quality of bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts