Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received delivery of a used 2003 Burgman 650, and the previous owner is unable to locate the owner's manual or extra key. Are there any good online sites where I can purchase the manual? I suppose I need to go to a Suzuki dealer to buy the key. It doesn't look like anything that a key shop can duplicate. Appreciate any help.
Bruce

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bruce , do a "search" There are a few places to get your manual
You will be able to get a key but not one with the plastic back. There is a locksmith in Ca sells blanks for 4 dollars
Auto Locksmith -707 555-0445
and last (but not least) try Ebay. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Speaking of this key, is it some special type because I stopped in a Wal Mart one day to get an extra made and they said it had a computer chip in it and that they couldn't help me. I was in a hurry and had people in line behind me, so I didn't press the issue at the time. I haven't thought about it again lately but I'm bound to misplace or even lose it one day and then I'll be SOL. Any truth to this computer chip thing or should I just be able to go get a key made anywhere where they have some sense?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The shaped part of the key that you insert for locking the shutter has a magnetic signature type key system.

You will not get a replacement for this anywhere.

The only solution if you wish to retain that level of functionality and have 2 keys is to purchase a whole new lock set and keys big $$$ - they do appear on ebay from time to time.

Otherwise for the ignition/steering lock mechanism as long as you get the right sort of blank - cutting another key should be no problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good. I have never used the little shutter feature on the key so not having that would be no problem. I will be getting me a key made soon though before I run into trouble.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
If you don't use the shutter, I suggest putting the origional key away and using the copy for daily use. It'll keep you from being tempted to lock the shutter, losing the origional key, and having no way to open the shutter. It's also be good to have at least one origional key if you ever go to sell/trade in the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gather from the replys that there is only one key with a new Burgman, not two. Is that correct? Also, what is the "shutter"? As I mentioned, I don't have a manual so am struggling with some of the bike's features. By the way, this may sound dumb, but still haven't figured out where to check the oil either!
Bruce

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
MBMiner said:
I gather from the replys that there is only one key with a new Burgman, not two. Is that correct? Also, what is the "shutter"? As I mentioned, I don't have a manual so am struggling with some of the bike's features. By the way, this may sound dumb, but still haven't figured out where to check the oil either!
Bruce
What model do you have?

Either model should have two identical keys.

The shutter is an anti-theft device that covers the ignition switch.

Oil level checking depends on model. 400 dipstick, 650 sightglass.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Use the back of the key to open/close the shutter. The keys use a series of magnets to only let the correct key open the shutter. Not all Burgman keys will open the shutter of your bike.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Speaking of keys - what does the little key tag look like ? The one that comes with the scoot and has the key code on it ? Joe Z sent me a tag but isn't sure if it's from the B'Man or another bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Mines a little black plastic tag roughly about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide with a letter followed by 4 numbers stamped into it.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
That's what this one looks like so, guess I got lucky.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Service Manual

I just purchased a new AN650 service manual from Oneida Suzuki for a total of $58.91 including the shipping. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Keys for new scooters

I just purchased a 2005 Burgman 400 and it came with two keys. Both keys had the plastic shutter opener on them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's a little longer answer, from one who has das svelte insides somewhat exposed today -- undoing carelessness of former owner. The shutter mechanism itself is replaceable if you reeely need the security and don't mind the hassle. Ronayers.com's microfiche shows the item, part 37155-14G00, for $76. Appears to include four (!) slide-onto-the-key-head plastic magnet-containing thingies, all matched to that particular shutter mechanism. Of course, after you fiddle with removing and replacing the enclosing plastic layer to get at the problem area you will want the extra keys themselves. Blanks to accomodate those plastic shutter-actuator slip-ons, are another $15 each at Ronayers.

Which is to say, bottom line, that you'll have a much easier time getting a mortal key (one that is just a key). I believe that more or less garden variety Suzuki key blanks have the same grooves your Burgman wants, but the shaft isn't long enough to allow the push-and-turn opening of the seat. My local dealer ground down the key blank's shoulders a little. Works fine, about $3 out the door.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Service Manual?

Does anyone know whether if I purchased the service manual I would get all the information that is included in the owner's manual. In other words, do I need both or would the service manual be sufficient?
Bruce

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
need both

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased my AN400 off of EBAY. When it was delivered, the strap was across the ignition and the front block was broke. I notified the seller and he agreed to pay for a new one for negative feedback retraction. While I was waiting for the new one, I used Liquid Steel to repair the original one. It actually worked great. When my new one came and I installed it. I found out that I had to keep my old key too because it also fit the glove box and the gas cap. As far as the owner's manual is concerned I did not receive that either. It took me two days to figure out how to start it. It took two weeks to find out that you only had to push the turn button to turn it off. I got the service manual but I truely miss not having the owner's manual. Its not even in my local Ron Ayers microfiche. Maybe a kind soul out there could scan a copy of the 2003 AN400 Owner's Manual into a PDF and bless a fellow Burgermiester. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
MBMiner said:
I just received delivery of a used 2003 Burgman 650, and the previous owner is unable to locate the ...extra key....
jkrerol15 said:
Speaking of this key, is it some special type because I stopped in a Wal Mart one day to get an extra made and they said it had a computer chip in it and that they couldn't help me....
I've mentioned this before, in other threads, but thought I'd repeat it here.

Because replacing these keys is so expensive, I got a couple of plain replacement keys made (without the magnetic head).

I put one original key in my Safe Deposit Box, and the other in the locking glovebox of my Burgman.

I use the plain keys day in and day out; they work the ignition, pop the trunk, and open the glovebox just fine. The only thing they won't do is open and close the shutter, which I rarely do.

If I do want to use the shutter, I take the key out of the glovebox, open or close the shutter, then put the key back in the glove box.

This way, should I loose a key or lock it in the trunk, I don't have to panic that I've lost a hard to replace original.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts