Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum as a few days ago so this could or should of ended up in the New Member area maybe. Live in Colorado and been on bikes for 55+ years and a dealer back in the 80's. Last summer I bought a 2011 650 with 3800 miles on it and love it. A bit heavy to shove around the driveway but runs and rides beautifully. I've been entertaining the thought of spending the money to buy a brand new 2018 but have hesitations about the additional $6000~6500 to make the leap. From everything I have read so far it seems like a lot of money for some slight improvements? Does that sound like a factual statement or is there that big of an improvement? I have not ridden a 2018. Thanks so much in advance.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Welcome to the forums Infool. I am sure some one will talk you into buying a newer one. But my 2003 is doing good enough for me.... ;)

I did move your post to New Member Introductions.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Welcome Scoot,

2011 is a great year to have and I’d keep it until you can find a used 2018 with low miles just like you did on the 2011. Why take the depreciation hit. Make your 2011 more comfortable, more functional and more safe.

Since your new here let me give you something that 2018 Burgman owners don’t have :

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave J and DarisPakar. I have been all over this site and find it quite amazing! LeDudes information is nothing short of incredible. I found Redbeards cruise control instructional nothing short of amazing! Fabulous site :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
A poster in Kingman AZ. is selling his 2018 Burgman 650 in the classified section if your interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Scootinfool, I had the first year big Burgie brand new and needed to trade it some years ago. I missed that bike from the minute it was gone. I have since gotten an 09 Executive since I retired. It is a trike ( because I had some disability). I don't see any significant difference in the newer one. In fact a bit the other way. If this '11 is real nice you could accessorize for a lot less. I actually miss the early seat. The windshield with a laminar lip added was as smooth as the adjustable windshield of the Executive. But alas this is what Keithburg would do. Whatever your choice, ride that puppy. 🖖

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
smaller storage on the 18, i'm not sure what year the engine braking changed , i think it was 13, in Colorado that might make a difference, might not, since you keep a lot of your state all scrunched up in piles. Florida has a gradient of 11 inches per mile from coast to coast, some spots the downgrade is as high as 13 1/4 inches per mile and engine braking is a real benefit.
I would at least wait till wifeys birthday and tell her you got a pretty shiney new pillion for her.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum as a few days ago so this could or should of ended up in the New Member area maybe. Live in Colorado and been on bikes for 55+ years and a dealer back in the 80's. Last summer I bought a 2011 650 with 3800 miles on it and love it. A bit heavy to shove around the driveway but runs and rides beautifully. I've been entertaining the thought of spending the money to buy a brand new 2018 but have hesitations about the additional $6000~6500 to make the leap. From everything I have read so far it seems like a lot of money for some slight improvements? Does that sound like a factual statement or is there that big of an improvement? I have not ridden a 2018. Thanks so much in advance.
Welcome @Scootinfool
Late to say hi and welcome. to the party sir.
Reading what you have written on your 2011, it seems you are very happy with your bike. Just my opinion (and I am cheap) but if the bike is working well and you're having fun with it, keep it. I have a 2017 model that I plan to keep long beyond what I would consider normal trade in times for me. There were some improvements built into the 2013 and beyond bikes but would I trade just to get those. I probably wouldn't. All are a stable and proven platform and will perform in a similar manner. Keep your money and spend it on trips to different places and take pics and have fun with it. We have all worked too hard and need to just enjoy what we have.
Off my soapbox now...
Get out and ride and enjoy your scoot sir.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments and agree with all of you the 2011 is just fine. The difference is hardly worth spending a lot of money on. I am enjoying the Forum very much. So much experience and knowledge at my fingertips :cool:. I rode my Street Glide last Friday for the first time in months and told myself the Burgman is more comfortable. Its like a magic carpet ride Lol!

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Thanks for the comments and agree with all of you the 2011 is just fine. The difference is hardly worth spending a lot of money on. I am enjoying the Forum very much. So much experience and knowledge at my fingertips :cool:. I rode my Street Glide last Friday for the first time in months and told myself the Burgman is more comfortable. Its like a magic carpet ride Lol!
Magic Carpet Ride ! Exactly .....all we need is Vertical Take Offs and Landings ....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I tested a pre-2013 before I bough my 13. For me, the engine braking, is obnoxious on the pre 13’s. I know a lot have become accustomed to it, and therefore like it on this forum, but I prefer brakes on a vehicle to activate only when I want them to, not every time I release the throttle.
moreover, brake parts are cheap and accessible. No way I want a complex/expensive CVT and engine wearing from the dissipated brake energy, when a much simpler cheaper brake system can do it, like on the 2013’s forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally agree with you with the engine braking. I find it something that takes some getting used to. I find myself slowing too quickly at times and needing to apply throttle again to get to an intersection. Maybe a test ride IS in order. Thanks Charbroil.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
I bought my 2006 2nd hand with 8k miles....it was readied for a trip to Alaska but the owner decided to take his DR650 again.

I have no bad engine braking and have come to rely on what I do have. The only thing that I can think of is that the previous owner Installed a Throttle Tamer . Smooth out of the hole and a smooth disengaged rolling to a stop sign.

Reactions: Blacktruck

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Thanks DarisPaker, I'll look into this. Interesting invention!
If it does for you what it has for me you will be able mark that off your list.
It would be a perfect time to install a Throttle Lock and Wrist Rest at the same time and then you would be Scooting in High Cotton.

All those add ons were done by the previous owner..... The guy really knows his stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts