Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i am going to apply ultraseal sealing compound to my 400 tires, do u all think that I should still buy/carry with me one of those stop n go flat repairs kits also? I don't really have a problem spending the money for it but my main concern is since there is limited space to carry things, would I be using some of that precious space more or less needlessly when I could use the space for something else I might need instead?

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Depends on how confident you are that the sealer will be able to stop any leaks. As I have never used the product I can't answer that question for you.

I think at the least I would carry one of the small air compressors like the one from Slime. They are only about $10 and don't take up much space. That way if the sealer lets a significant amount of air out before it seals or if it leaves you with a slow leak you will be able to top the tire off.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point! I do carry my small air shock pump so that will work on the 400 tires but might not on the trike tires because it might not depress the valve pin enuf on them but I'l check that to make sure.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I had Slime in the rear tire a year ago when I hit what appears to have been a large roofing nail. The nail went in...and out...at 60 mph. The centrifugal force just pushed all the Slime out and I had a flat tire in minutes. Without the Stop-N-Go mushroom plug kit, I would've been calling a tow truck.

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
gruntled said:
I carry a small bicycle CO2 tire inflator & a 5 pack of cartridges. Takes up almost no space.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=c ... =HURE#x0y0
Just make sure you replace the co2 cartridges at regular intervals. They loose pressure over time. I carried one with 4 cartridges in the glove box of my 400 for several years. I got a leak. I plugged it and tried to reinflate the tire with the CO2. After putting everything I could get out of all 4 cartridges in I had less than 10 lbs in the tire. All four of them had lost nearly all their pressure just riding around in the glove box.

Lesson learned. I bought a slime mini compressor like I carried on the 650. It fits in the glove box in the same place the CO2 kit and extra cartridges did and I can run it until the tire is full. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Tire-Top-Off-Inflator/16782755

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Those musta been some crappy cylinders.

I just went home after 20 years and used my old CO2 BB pistol - with the same cylinders I packed it away with 20 years ago!

More likely that there just wasn't enough (without a leaky cylinder). I used a CO2 kit in the past, but the little cylinders (forget how many grams) will use about 3 to get a 120/18 DS tire with a tube to around 15 psi.

If you really want to be serious about the CO2 kits, you need the large cylinders.

I carry a slime tire pump and a plug kit - but only on long trips.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I have put ride-on in both of my tires... took off the wheel weights as recommended... I went out for about a 10 mile ride... My scoot tracks good without vibration... I also cary a slime kit with compressor,,, just for safety sake also I may be able to help someone along the road... I have used ride-on in my past motorcycles and with my goldwing,,, I picked up a nail twice,,, pulled it out,,, checked the tire pressure,,, added a bit of air and continued on... I have never used ultra cote but I swear by ride-on...

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the problems with CO2 carts is if you haven't used them before or burned up a few in practice you could find yourself stranded when you mess up.
I carry my trusty Aerostitch pump and plug kit.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As you know Tom, I have Ultraseal in my tires and it has never let me down in the years I've been using it. It's the same for my buddies too who use Ultraseal. I have had quite few punctures too. Over here in the UK Slime does not come even close to having the same reputation for successfully fixing a puncture. It's a very different compound. But, I do carry a small handpump which takes up no space at all. This is to allow me to adjust the tyre pressure in the rear if I stop and pick up a passenger. No plugs or patches though.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I use slime but I carry a small air compressor and those gummy worm looking tire plugs just in case. They don't take up hardly any room but if you get a large puncture it will plug it to get you to your destination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts