Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I have.

I did it on purpose by letting it idle/heat up on the center stand.. It clicked on with a dicernable noise/"whir."

It was newish - an i was just checking its' "toggles."

That was many months ago.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
My fan came on several times last summer when I was in the dessert in California; 105 in the shade (and there wasn't any shade!). I could only hear it when I was stopped.

I don't recall it coming on more than once or twice up here, and that was when idling in heavy traffic during a hot spell (Yes, we do get those in Seattle in July and August).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Apology to someone

I accidently deleted a private message from someone relative to installation of the fan switch. I apologize and hope you will PM me again. I'll be more careful next time an will be happy to answer your questions.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I did force my fan to kick on today. It was 82° F outside. I had ridden about 75 miles, so the scooter was definitely warmed up. Even so, I had to let it idle for about 20 minutes in the garage when I got home. The fan finally came on for a few seconds. I can see where the two fan failures were on Texas machines. In the northern states the fan probably doesn't come on much outside of about 6 weeks when we have peak high temperatures. My fan is also pretty quiet. Between the clatter from the drivetrain (diesel noise) and the Remus exhaust, I had to turn the engine off and then flip the key back on to hear it clearly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, turns out it was the fuse all along. Replaced it with one of the spares and have not had a problem sisnce. Thanks for all the input and discussion.
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it normal for the fan to be on for some seconds after I switch off the bike? Assuming the radiator temp is high enough for the fan to do that of course. I mean is it designed to work like that? I think my 650 was doing that when I first bought it but now that I'm starting to face overheating problems, it doesn't do that anymore? Anybody know why?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum, :hello2:

Why not introduce yourself in the 'who are you, where are you from?' :)

To answer the first part of your question(s).

If the bike is 'over temperature' and you turn the ignition off the cooling fan will continue to run until the temperature is within limit.

You imply that you currently have an overheating situation without the fan running at all. If that is so you should reach under the bike and turn the fan by hand it should turn freely. If not then, it will probably be quicker and more effective to remove the radiator assembly to examine properly. It is likely that the mounting bracket has suffered impact damage and the fan blades are making contact with the radiator.

If the fan is free to move, then examine all wiring carefully - it is likely there is a loose or broken wire. Do not forget the fuse (The fan is served by a fuse in Fusebox 3 (the outboard fuse box in the front box compartment).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Exactly the same failure mode as my 650K4's fan, my blade assembly even separated from the armature hub after the thing burned itself up. Sorry Denso, your fan design is SCHEISS. Check out the following thread of mine, it may help. I won't use the stock fan again after what I saw and what others have reported.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/87458-aftermarket-radiator-cooling-fan.html

Okay, I finally tore into it and removed my fan on the 650. There's absolutely no doubt that the fan is bad. Melted plastic in the center of the hub, will not turn, except by holding firmly and pretend you're unscrewing a tough jar lid!~
There was/is no way of knowing, before dire symptoms, that your fan is bad. This is something that should be checked once in a while. The way described by another gent here, removing the plug and bridging the contacts, is an easy way to see if the fan functions. Or, the manual switch suggested by another responder. The switch would be easier than getting to the dadgummed plug..
Off to find a good price on a fan now... anyone know of a wrecked 650 that being parted out?
jac

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I don't have pictures readily available, but the fan is attached to the back of the radiator. The radiator is right behind the front wheel. The fuse is in the fuse panel that is mounted under the small panel on the left of the main center lockable glove box.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Fuse panel just open the glove box then pull the small panel to the left off. It just pulls off no screws or anything holding it. You will see the fuse box right behind that panel.

Fan remove the plastic cover in front of the radiator (two screws and two push pins). Take the 10 mm bolt on the left side of the radiator out and the radiator will swing out like a door. Fan is on the back of the radiator

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks, yesterday it was the first time the temperature indicator came on and i didn't hear the fan spinning. Have to see if it's the fuse or something else.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi all,
I know this is an old thread, but I believe I'm having this issue. Two rides in a row going fairly slow and up the mountain, I've overheated to the point the red light comes on.

Could I get a picture or more guidance on which fuse I'm checking? I'd obviously like to try that route first.

Thanks for any help.... Come to think of it, I don't recall EVER hearing the fan kick on or off since I've had this bike. (1.5 years) I did change the coolant last year when I got it. It's still at an acceptable level. Maybe has dropped a tad in the last year...

Thanks!
2009 AN650

·
Registered
96 Posts
ummm.... is that something I'm supposed to be able to understand? :) Looks like a tattoo from the 5th element... I need some toned down help :) Thanks though....

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Sorry, I’m no good with wiring diagrams either but what you asked for is in there ....I think 🤓

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Inside the fuse box there are two banks of fuses. The fan fuse is in the bank with two 15 amp and one 10 amp fuses. It is fuse number 6, the 10 amp fuse. The other bank has two 10 amp and one 15 amp. The fuses are marked.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
On that wiring diagram the fuse box is at the bottom about a third of the way over from the left.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Buffalo , Could you tell us where this fuse box you speak of is located ....is it the one left of the main glove box behind the notorious waiting to go AWOL Lid ?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts