Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In heavy traffic yesterday my burgy overheated. When the traffic was moving ok the temp gage indicated normal but in the stop and go it quickly rose to the max. I rode all summer long here in Dallas last year without any problems. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem. I kind of suspect that the cooling fan is not working as I dont hear it kick in anymore when I put the kick stand down but the key is still on.
Does anyone know if there might be a fuse for this and if so, where is it?
Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sounds like the fan to me too - isn't the fuse in the left side of the main glove compartment?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The fan is served by a fuse in Fusebox 3 (the outboard fuse box in the front box compartment).

But,before diving in there try this -

Take the bike out and get it up to operating temp and then park it in the drive and pop it on the centrestand while leaving the engine running and then sit back and observe. Without airflow the engine temperature will rise and if you have your helmet off you will be able to hear if the fan cuts in. It always seems to be worryingly late but do not worry as long as it does cut in you are OK!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had an overheating problem with mine also. First, check the fuse. If no problem there, then you can check the operation of the fan. As someone else here had suggested, you pull the plug off of the sensor located at the bottom of the radiator, on the back side. Then you can bridge the two contacts in the plug. If there is no problem with the fan, it will start to run. If it doesn't then the problem is with the fan. In my case, I could see kind of melted blob of something or another inside the plug, and discoloration on the outside of the sensor. The sensor was replaced under warranty. The mechanic said it looked like someone at the factory didn't get the plug on straight during assembly, thus causing the problem. It's been running fine since.

·
Registered
370 Posts
cooling fan failure

Just yesterday (I have a 2003 650) I was in traffic and noticed the same thing as the original poster. Temp climbed, red light started to glow. I broke out of the traffic and let it cool for a little bit, then went on my way. After reading the notes here, this morning I went out and check the fan by jumping the contacts in the plug at the sensor, there was power, since I was seeing small sparks as I made contact, but the fan didn't come on. Before I pull the radiator to replace the fan, are there any more suggestions. I've got the shop service manual, so feel comfortable going at it, but would rather avoid the hassle.
thanks
jac vinson
http://www.rvtoys.net

·
Registered
761 Posts
On my 2005 model, the fan comes on and off with the temp gauge never leaving 3 bars.

Of course, our temps have not been above 62 yet. But during those days, during stop and go, the fan came on several times.

just my input

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
alburg said:
I’ve had my fan come on a couple of times when I turned off the engine, (it may have been running when I shut off the engine but I didn’t hear it). I left the ignition on and within several seconds the fan shut off.
Same here.
It startled me the first time, didn't realize right away what it was.

Never had any fans on my old British bikes :roll:

Course I didn't have water cooling either, or hydraulic brakes, or disk brakes, or ABS brakes, or kickstand safety switches, or electronic fuel injection, or radial tires, or electrically operated windshields, or turn signals, or electric folding mirrors, or alloy wheels, or grip heaters, or fuel gauges, or a key to start it with, or adjustable shocks, or automatic transmissions, or overdrive, or maintenance free batteries, or smooth running engines, or halogen headlights, etc. :twisted:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
lilleyen said:
Never had any fans on my old British bikes :roll:

Course I didn't have water cooling either, or hydraulic brakes, or disk brakes, or ABS brakes, or kickstand safety switches, or electronic fuel injection, or radial tires, or electrically operated windhields, or turn signals, or electric folding mirrors, or alloy wheels, or grip heaters, or fuel gauges, or a key to start it with, or adjustable shocks, or atuomatic transmissions, or overdrive, or maintenance free batteries, or smooth running engines, or halogen headlights, etc. :twisted:
Yeah. But Hey! At least you had oil leaks! :twisted:

·
Registered
370 Posts
cooling fan failure

I think I've determined that it's a fan problem. I have absolutely no doubt that when I pull the fan, I'll find some physical restriction/blockage. the bike has nly got 3700 miles, is 17 months old, and is well maintained. I figger that after pulling the fan, I'll be able to "spin/tweak/fiddlewith" it and get it working. (Gotta be a reason it quit).
jac

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jac,

In your PM to me, you said that you might not tear it apart until after Scootercade. If it is a physical restriction "jamming" the fan, and the fan motor is trying to spin the stuck fan, wouldn't you risk burning out the fan motor by riding the scooter that way?

(I admit to being "electrically challenged", so I may be wrong about that.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
cooling fan

You're correct, but the only time the fan should be "trying" to turn would be when the temp rises. Since I only have the temp issue in "Stop and go " Traffic, I'll just avoid those trips. Cruising, running errands, no problem, just have to watch the temp gage and not count on the fan.. for now.
jac

·
Registered
33 Posts
Need Fan Mod.

The following applies to every Suzuki Sportbike and Cruiser I have owned and on each of them I have done the mod mentioned below. I have not done this to my B-650 yet but will in the very near future and doubt there is any difference between this bike and other Suzuki models.
The fan should come on around 224 degrees F. That is hot! There are two wires leading from the thermol switch at the bottom of the radiator. Splice two wires into these two wires and run them into at least a 15 amp switch. I normally use a Radio Shack rocker switch. Just find a nice place for the switch that is handy. You do not need to fuse it as the OEM fan fuse will suffice if needed. Now when you turn the switch on the fan will come on. I always turn it on in hot weather traffic and when doing a lot of slow climbing in the NC mountains. On my race bike I left it on all the time when on a road course. This mod DOES NOT negate the automatic fan on feature. Should you wish you can install a quick disconnect, also available from Radio Shack, into the two wires to the switch. Just be thankful you do not have a Honda. I have done this mod on some Hondas I have owned and it is a wiring nightmare.

·
Registered
370 Posts
cooling fan

Great idea. Has any of you folks pulled the radiator or fan? I have the service manual and it doesn't look to tough. I Kinda doubt I have to drain the radiator just to swing it out, or am I wrong?
jac
\

·
Registered
611 Posts
224 isn't hot in engine terms. Isn't there another thermostat (like on cars) that keeps the coolant from even entering the radiator until 190 degrees anyway? If the fan is working - then you may not be getting coolant through the radiator. Check for the other thermostat and check the coolant condition... I wouldn't suggest running it on a switch ratherthan the sensor.

Jac - you don't need to drain the radiator to "swing it". Check the fan and replace it if it's stuck. I'd hate to see a later post explaining that the fan once freed ran for 100 miles before putting a blade through the radiator or your calf. I sheared a blade off a fan on my 86 F350SHD. I knew the fan was out of balance and making noise - but thought I'd leave it in untill it failed. What was I thinking - when it failed it took out the serpentine belt and the radiator. 5,000 rpm makes fan blades fly at lethal speeds...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Comment

Robert. Disagree with you about the fan switch. The temp of approximately 224F is at the radiator. The engine is hotter. The switch will not hurt anything and is certainly better than pulling off to let the engine temp cool or just leaving it running with the bars in the hot zone. If you cannot remember if you turned a switch on you can easily install a red warning light to be on when the switch is on. I have done this but it is certainly not necessary and I believe redundent. On my other bikes with a temp digital or analog reading instead of bars I always turned the switch on around 190 F.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Robert said:
Jac - you don't need to drain the radiator to "swing it". Check the fan and replace it if it's stuck. I'd hate to see a later post explaining that the fan once freed ran for 100 miles before putting a blade through the radiator or your calf. I sheared a blade off a fan on my 86 F350SHD. I knew the fan was out of balance and making noise - but thought I'd leave it in untill it failed. What was I thinking - when it failed it took out the serpentine belt and the radiator. 5,000 rpm makes fan blades fly at lethal speeds...
Hi Robert;
I definitely would replace a bad, or defective fan. I just have a hard time that at 3000 miles the fan motor would have already failed. I would suspect a twig or yellow jacket nest as being the culprit. I post what I find. I can't find in my owners manual, what the warranty on parts is. I suspect a year, hoping for two. :lol:
Jac

·
Registered
370 Posts
Failed fan confirmed

Okay, I finally tore into it and removed my fan on the 650. There's absolutely no doubt that the fan is bad. Melted plastic in the center of the hub, will not turn, except by holding firmly and pretend you're unscrewing a tough jar lid!~
There was/is no way of knowing, before dire symptoms, that your fan is bad. This is something that should be checked once in a while. The way described by another gent here, removing the plug and bridging the contacts, is an easy way to see if the fan functions. Or, the manual switch suggested by another responder. The switch would be easier than getting to the dadgummed plug..
Off to find a good price on a fan now... anyone know of a wrecked 650 that being parted out?
jac

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Jac
Thanks for posting that - interesting to hear anyones theories as to what could have caused this.
Also I like the idea of the switch in the thermosensor circuit(even if it was just used as a maintenance/checking aid.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have never heard the fan run on my 650. Never. I used to hear it on my V-Strom, but I haven't heard it on the Burgman. I'm not sure if it is my height, the bodywork between the fan and me, or the fact that I'm always wearing a fullface helmet when the engine is running.

The Burgman 650 has always gone to 3 bars on the temp guage when warmed up, and it stays at 3 bars. It doesn't matter if it is 20° F or 100° F outside. I've never seen it go to 4 bars or drop to 2 bars.

The V-Strom would range between 2 and 4 bars. 4 bars would happen idling in traffic on hot days even though I could hear the fan running. As soon as I got moving again it would drop to 3 bars. Cooler days it would run at 2 bars.

Since the Burgman has never gone to 4 bars, I don't think I have a bad fan. I just find it strange that in 14,600 miles of riding I have never heard the fan running.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts