Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2006 Burgman AN400 with 4800 miles. It drives awesome. But, after running on the freeway and sitting in traffic I noticed the temp rising. As soon as traffic cleared it cooled right back off. I’m in Texas and the outside temp was around 100f. When I got home I checked the radiator fluid and it was at the low mark. So, I filled the radiator to the top mark. A few days later I was sitting at idle in the shade while checking my phone for directions. I noticed the gauge was rising again and I don’t think that’s normal.

Where should my troubleshooting start? Radiator cap? Thermostat? Disconnected wire?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry B.
2006 Burgman AN400

· Premium Member
8,531 Posts
fan and thermostat, do a search on the radiator fan for your bike, we have had a few posts here on how to troubleshoot it

Reactions: s-steel

· Registered
75 Posts
I do not own a 650 but I do own the Burgman 400, I find the knowledge base tab in this forum very helpful for trouble shooting and maintance repais, At one time this feature did not work but the staff at this site got it working again and its packed with easy to follow steps and repairs, Also (Ledude"s Burgman Center Blog) web site is a treasure trove of knowledge for those who have a 650.

http://ledudeburgmancenter.blogspot.com/2017/11/had-to-replace-thermostat-on-04-std.html

I hope this link works for replacing the thermostat on your 650.

· Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Yes sounds like your cooling fan is not coming on. Fan may just be jammed on it's housing. Or the thermo switch in the bottom of the radiator may not be functioning.

First thing to do is see if you can turn the fan with your hand (do this with the key in the off position). If you can then check to see if you have current coming into the thermo switch. If yes then jumper around the switch and see if the fan comes on. If it does then you have a bad thermo switch. If it doesn't then you likely have a bad fan.

If you can't turn the fan by hand then see if you can free it. The mount may have just been bent. If you don't have power into the thermo switch then start checking wiring back to the fuse box to see where the problem is.

· Registered
22 Posts
There is a product that the parts stores have, I got mine from Honda, it's called Water Wetter. You don'r need very much in the 650, just read the directions. It keeps my Goldwing and the 650 cooler. My 2 cents....

· Registered
2,320 Posts
Here is Mitch's video on replacing the coolant and burping the system of air.

Reactions: s-steel

· Premium Member
13,536 Posts
If the bike were running hot when moving I would look at all that other stuff. Given that it is getting hot when it is sitting still or moving slowly most likely it is the fan.

· Registered
15 Posts
Where is the cooling fan.

I posted above about my 2006 AN400 overheating and I was told to check the cooling fan. I’ve searched the forums, YouTube, and the internet but can’t seem to find anything that tells me where/how to check the fan. I do not see a cooling fan. One post said to reach hand up and see if it turns. I don’t even see a fan anywhere. The radiator looks good - nice and clean and no clogging that is visible. No fan there though...

Is the cooling fan the one under the aluminum cover on the side? Did I search with the wrong wording?

Jerry
2006 AN400

· Premium Member
13,536 Posts
The fan is an electric fan mounted to the back side of the radiator. The thermo couple screws into the lower right side on the back of the radiator. To access either at the minimum you will have to remove the belly pan plastic and reach up from the bottom. That would be easiest to do if you have the bike up on a lift. More access can be gained by pulling the front fairing and right lower plastic under the floorboard off.

Wiring runs as follows. Hot wire goes to the thermo couple which is just a temperature controlled switch. When the coolant heats up to a high enough point the switch closes and current flows through it to the wire going to the fan. From the fan the ground wire goes back completing the circuit and the fan comes on.

With the key on you can test for current going into the thermo switch. You can hotwire to the output side of the switch to send power directly to the fan. That will tell you if the fan is working. If it is you can start the bike and let it idle until it warms up past the hot point. If the thermo couple is working then you should see the fan come on. If not then you will need to get a new thermo switch.

It just screws into the radiator. You unplug the wires and screw the old one out. If the radiator is cold and you leave the cap on it and work real quick you can screw the old one out and the new one in without loosing very much coolant.

· Premium Member
13,536 Posts
If your fan does not work and it is not jammed then you will need to replace it. To do that you are probably going to have to pull the radiator. You might just be able to take the radiator loose and move it far enough forward to access the mounting screws but I doubt it. Have never tried on my 400 so can't say for sure. The fan is held on by three screws. You just unplug the wires and take out the screws to remove it. When you put the new one on don't over tighten the screws. They just tighten to 7 foot pounds.

· Premium Member
13,536 Posts
BTW, the fan and thermo couple setup on the 650 is the same as on the 400. I've helped someone change the thermo couple on their 650 and I've put a new fan on someones 650. Just never done it on a 400. That's how I know you can change the thermo couple without loosing much coolant if you work fast.

· Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Informative thread. :smile

BTW: I went to A.Z. for Water Wetter- I was on a Kawi Concours forum years ago and have a "recipe" which includes WW- anyhow there is no more Water Wetter, there is some stuff with a different name. Which I put into my (just fixed) 97 Saturn.

In the hottest days riding my AN400, the temp gauge has always been at "halfway". Not any higher. I think the cooling system is over-designed.

Would like to hear what was wrong with OP's bike.

· Administrator
16,962 Posts
Informative thread. :smile

BTW: I went to A.Z. for Water Wetter- I was on a Kawi Concours forum years ago and have a "recipe" which includes WW- anyhow there is no more Water Wetter, there is some stuff with a different name. Which I put into my (just fixed) 97 Saturn.

In the hottest days riding my AN400, the temp gauge has always been at "halfway". Not any higher. I think the cooling system is over-designed.

Would like to hear what was wrong with OP's bike.
https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze...line-water-wetter-super-coolant-12oz/486218_0

· Administrator
16,962 Posts
Great Dave, got one for beer beerer?
Nope, Animal beer will always be Animal beer.

But when I was a teenager we took 2 bottles of MD20/20 and poured them into a glass baking dish, covered it with Saran wrap and put it in the freeser for 2 hours. All the water froze and we poured the grape flavored purple "White Lightning" back into one bottle. Never tried it with beer but it should work the same.

Reactions: mikeyMarine
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.